PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worst officiated game I've seen in a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was an article written last week that didn't get nearly enough play. About how NFL VP Ray Anderson has taken control over on the refereeing front over the last few years and how Jerome Bogger was hand picked to ref this game by wiping out all the dings on his in season record (and he had so many he wouldn't have gotten a playoff game) on appeal so as to make him the highest rated ref on the season. The other refs are sick over it.

Still, had Harbaugh and his OC not lost their minds in the last 2 minutes they'd have won that game. Out thinking themselves. Just run the damn ball in 4 down territory with 2 minutes to go.

Boger, the head ref, whatever he did, he called a good game. It was the umpires who blew it.

Ravens got away with murder,

Wouldn't be the first time. MR. Me Me Me Me Me Me God God Me Me Me got away with it and Welker's wife should not have had to apologize.

Glad this SB is over, though Beyonce was great.

Not what I saw. I saw a legal chuck in the 5 yard zone that continued beyond because the receiver didn't disengage, and when he did, he stumbled. That was good, legal defense.
If that a defensive penalty you could get one every play by running into the defender.

His arms were wrapped around him. Looked like the Willie McGinest on Marshall Faulk hold, but Willie was within 5 yards when he released him.

Graham had his arm wrapped outside of Crabtree's arm/shoulder while grabbing his shirt - textbook PI or D Holding. It was flagrant given the situation, and should have been called because they called PI earlier in the game on a play with less decisive contact.

Williams is a punk, but that just means he fits in with the Ravens. If the Ravens had any doubt they were going to be able to get away with murder (like their hero), those doubts vanished after Williams exploded on that ref and drove him back 5 yards and didn't even get a flag - let alone what should have been an instant ejection.

And if a ref is too chicken-hearted or indecisive to throw a flag after getting drilled like he did by Williams he surely shouldn't be refereeing any game of importance.

That has nothing to do with whether or not a game was poorly officiated, and this one absolutely was. If SF hadn't made it a game down the stretch before playcalling themselves out of a Lombardi, that is all folks would be talking about, shoddy officiating in the biggest game of the year.

I honestly didn't care about who was winning. Really I wasn't. I didn't hold it against the Ravens. But when the power went out, and the Ravens responded by coming out flat... I thought the fates were at work. The ending was way too delicious. The Ravens would claim they were screwed. They are typically a very weak-minded team as they have had the league's best talent for years and couldn't parlay that into victory because they are a bunch of crybabies. So, I started rooting for a colossal controversy. That ref robbed us of a huge huge controversy.

And, to top it off, we could say to Ray Lewis, that God turned out the lights to stop the Ravens' momentum.

Smith had his arm wrapped outside of Crabtree's arm/shoulder while grabbing his shirt - textbook PI or D Holding. If was flagrant given the situation, and should have been called because they called PI earlier in the game on a play with less decisive contact.

Williams is a punk, but that just means he fits in with the Ravens. If the Ravens had any doubt they were going to be able to get away with murder (like their hero), those doubts vanished after Williams exploded on that ref and drove him back 5 yards and didn't even get a flag - let alone what should have been an instant ejection.

And if a ref is too chicken-hearted or indecisive to throw a flag after getting drilled like he did by Williams he surely shouldn't be refereeing any game of importance.

I'm sure everyone has Pro Football Reference bookmarked ,right?

Going back ten years, last night's game was the lowest penalized game in this decade, with the Ravens 2 penalties the lowest of any winner. In contrast, the Patriots were flagged seven times in 2004 in their win over Philly.

Seems the Pats reputation as the least penalized team and a team known for its softness, is actually erroneous...sure...I'm beginning to believe it all now...the team with Bernard Pollard in the secondary is the MISTAKE FREE paradigm of NFL defense and surely deserves every benefit of the doubt on any/every defensive call the entire game. Yup, you convinced me, I'm a believer now.

For me the hold on the intentional safety was the worst thing. My reason for saying that is because the holding started on the snap and allowed the ravens to run 8 seconds off the clock but had a flag been thrown it would have meant nothing at all as it would have resulted in a safety but the time would not be put back on the clock. A system that meant there was no reason not to cheat in that situation.

I don't know if the refs would have put time back on the clock, or if they would have, just how much. But imagine this... They are planning on taking the safety anyway. So on the snap, every Ravens' OLineman simply and literally grabs and tackles a 49er player, dragging them to the ground and holding them there. Obvious, blatant holding, a thousand flags could be thrown. But the holding on every player allows the punter to run out the entire clock because no 49er player can get untangled. Ok, so the clock runs out, they throw the flag, and it's ruled a safety. So what? The Ravens were taking the safety anyway.

So how much time could they, by rule, put back on the clock? If the answer is zero, what incentive did the Ravens have to NOT handle it this way? If the answer is that there is some time put on the clock, just how much?

CaryWilliams.gif

refshove.gif

Also happens to be this guy, from the real worst reffed game that I remember:
tyson.gif

Having seen that again, I'm amazed he got away with it. He clearly targets the ref, rather than just shoving whoever is nearest (as I originally thought had happened).

Any as obvious as the one that will be getting aired on espn for the next month? How it wasn't mentioned at all during the broadcast is beyond me. PI, no. Holding? How isn't it? Or at least illegal contact? Crabtree was getting mugged three yards into the ez. Enlighten me, it's the five yard bump and contact following that has been getting emphasized lately, no?

Yes both teams were chippy, but which team routinely had numbers in garbage after the whistle? Seemed like two possessions in a row, sf oline works player off pile, two ravens push/shove distract while pile shenanigans continue, EVERY PLAY.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Eh, I'm not going to complain about holding on the kickoff, or mugging on the field. As Patriots fans we've seen enough of that in other Super Bowls, they even replayed the returned kick in the 1996 Super Bowl, and sure enough there was Hasan Graham being mugged.

But yeah it boggles the mind how the ref pushing wasn't flagged, and that was definitely PI at the end, but what bothered me a lot too was the inconsistency in calling offsides on back to back series. Ed Reed was MORE offsides than Aldon Smith. It prevented 2 points for the 9ers, but I forget what the result of the Aldon Smith offside was. A sack? Did it push the Ravens out of FG range? Was it not a big deal?

Worst call of the night. Should have erased 7 points for the Ravens. I actually said to myself during the game it was nice to see the refs let them play, but it certainly seems the ravens benefited more from the non calls

Jacoby Jones 109 yard Kick return for a touchdown Super Bowl 2013 Baltimore Ravens - YouTube

at about 4 seconds. Cant see the full number of the 9er player, it had a nine in it. But Jones runs right past him and he was being mugged by 2 ravens players.

Holy cow. Just watched that again. That was a gruesome hold. How is that not called?

With all of you crying about cb holding wr, did you all forget the pats team of 2003-2004? I didn't remember a lot of complaints coming from Pats fans back then, how times have changed.

With all of you crying about cb holding wr, did you all forget the pats team of 2003-2004? I didn't remember a lot of complaints coming from Pats fans back then, how times have changed.

Dont forget with the times changing so did the rules.

There was no 5 yard contact rule in 03-04.

This game was played in 2013, using rules from 2012, rules that the ravens apparently are not subject to.

Spot on!
This level of officiating whine for a non Patriot team? You gotta be kidding me!
There was defensive holding and PI (or very close to it) happening a lot on both sides (among other penalties). This is the SB, they're not going to be calling that. Seriously, call PI/holding on two receivers fighting each other on one of the last and most critical plays of the SB/entire NFL season? Decide it on a flag? Oh yea, that's gonna happen and it would be such a great thing if it did :rolleyes:.

what is critially missing in your post is the PI call on the 49er defender on the last Raven last drive drive of the game that extended the drive . . . it was a 3rd down incomplete pass . . . yes there was contact, but the WR pushed off the defender who then had a momentary hold of the jersey . . . it was an excuriating call and was basically a turnover . . . that is instead of giving up the ball and punting, they got to retain the ball . . . the call kinda happened that time didn't it . . . ;)

at that point in the game, after the blackout, the ravens had done nothing and were only leading by 2 points, which by the way on the two point coversion Ed Reed was offsides which in turn cause the rushed throw and no two point coversion . . . and need i remind you of the offside in the first qtr that AGAIN gave the Ravens a second chance after a FAILED 3rd down play, so instead of kicking a FG for three points, they get a second chance at a 3rd down to convert, although it is not a true turnover type call like the above PI, it is in the ballpark, having another shot at 7 points instead of settle for a 3 point attempt . . .

so I don't really care how they officiate, the issue that I have is one of consistency . . . the two above mentioned crticial calls that were made on the 49ers had DIRECT impact on the scoring . . . likewise the two "let them play" non calls on the Ravens had DIRECT impact on the game . . . so of the calls, ALL four went in the direction of that Ravens . . . normally speaking it would be 2-2, the are all called or none are call . . .

but when you have the same type call (two offsides and two PIs) , and all four of which are called in opposite directions it is an promblem no matter how you roll your eyes . .

you can try to avoid the issue and laugh it off as a mistake, but when you have 4 critical calls, all of which result in points and failure to score points, all in going in the same direction (and should of been called equally), then you got a big problem period . . .

what is critially missing in your post is the PI call on the 49er defender on the last Raven last drive drive of the game that extended the drive . . . it was a 3rd down incomplete pass . . . yes there was contact, but the WR pushed off the defender who then had a momentary hold of the jersey . . . it was an excuriating call and was basically a turnover . . . that is instead of giving up the ball and punting, they got to retain the ball . . .

at that point in the game, after the blackout, the ravens had done nothing and were only leading by 2 points, which by the way on the two point coversion Ed Reed was offsides which in turn cause the rushed throw and no two point coversion . . . and need i remind you of the offside in the first qtr that AGAIN gave the Ravens a second chance after a FAILED 3rd down play, so instead of kicking a FG for three points, they get a second chance at a 3rd down to convert, although it is not a true turnover type call like the above PI, it is in the ballpark, having another shot at 7 points instead of settle for a 3 point attempt . . .

so I don't really care how they officiate, the issue that I have is one of consistency . . . the two above mentioned crticial calls that were made on the 49ers had DIRECT impact on the scoring . . . likewise the two "let them play" non calls on the Ravens had DIRECT impact on the game . . . so of the calls, ALL four went in the direction of that Ravens . . . normally speaking it would be 2-2, the are all called or none are call . . .

but when you have the same type call (two offsides and two PIs) , and all four of which are called in opposite directions it is an promblem no matter how you roll your eyes . .

you can try to avoid the issue and laugh it off as a mistake, but when you have 4 critical calls, all of which result in points and failure to score points, all in going in the same direction (and should of been called equally), then you got a big problem period . . .

To me, the distinct difference between both plays is that Torrey was trying to avoid contact when Culliver initiated it and grabbed him versus Crabtree and Smith both initiating the contact, then Crabtree trying to push off and Smith grabbing him.

His arms were wrapped around him. Looked like the Willie McGinest on Marshall Faulk hold, but Willie was within 5 yards when he released him.

excellent point i did not think of that and it was late in the SB so the let them play crowd can't complain if they called it . . .

To me, the distinct difference between both plays is that Torrey was trying to avoid contact when Culliver initiated it and grabbed him versus Crabtree and Smith both initiating the contact, then Crabtree trying to push off and Smith grabbing him.

regardless of your thoughts, you still can't grabbed the guy . . . and no I do not agree, the initial contact on the Torrey/Culliver happens within 5 yards which is fair game, so for me it is irrelavant who initial the contact on the two plays as any contact intial was legal and so there is no "he made a wrong" so its okay to make a call against him issue . . .

to me both calls where the same, contact within 5 yards, and contact during the throw . . .

and sorry i gonna have to disagree with you, Torrey trying to throw off Culliver with a extended arm, so his push off looked worse to me . . .

but regadless, it frustrating to me that the two calls were not made consistent either way . . . i would of been happy with two non calls or two calls . . .

I made a mistake in earlier posts...I said the Ravens did not have a defensive penalty...I was wrong...Ngata had a 15 yard roughing the passer penalty...otherwise...no defensive penalties...Carey Williams HIT A REFEREE...no penalty...not one call on that secondary the entire game....oh wait...it's the Super Bowl....no obvious penalties can be called in the Super Bowl that impact the outcome of the "contest"....all these years and I NEVER knew this rule....

Ray Lewis takes PEDs this season and still gets to play in the playoffs. The moral is if it's your last season you can juice up and not have to suffer any consequences.

If this doesn't show fans that the business is bigger than the game then nothing will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back