PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worst Offensive play called

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The double reverse!!! I nearly had a fit when they ran that play!! It just takes too long to develop to try and pull it on any fast defensive team. What in hell were they thinking?? Please, for the love of god, dump this from your playbook this season!!! And whoever had the ball first, next time you see all that open green in front of you....keep on going!!!
Didn't see any posts on this yet, but if so please merge.

I was upset once it got handed off to Chad because he had no chance of getting anywhere with defenders all around him. Reche problably should have just ignored giving it to Chad and ran on his own. Had he made a good juke on the corner he could have gotten a big gain.

it could of been a big play..but not agaisnt a T2 Deffense. idk if coaches told Caldwell ever that if he sees more room to keep it instead of giving the double

its mcdaniels favorite play it seems...he has run the reverse more times this season than charlie did in his entire career here

It was a "triple" reverse...and it was a horrible call that took way too much time to develop. If they left it at a double reverse, Caldwell probably would have picked up a few yards.

I have been looking for this topic. That play call is the most idiotic call I have seen in 35 years of watching football! I was waiting for a reverse or screens to be called to take advantage of their over pursuit. When Caldwell handed it off for a double reverse I just started screaming. I have resisted the over throw the off. coordinator talk, but its time for a change. The play calling has become worse than our local H.S play calling. That call was idiotic!

No need to resort to trickery when the gameplan is working well.

And when McDaniels has called them, they are always busted up...McDaniels has no idea what the hell he is doing, most of the time.

i would rather have mcdaniels than the bears off coordinator who seems to me has 2 runs and a few deep balls in his playbook

I've defended the playcalling, and think thrick plays are mostly fine. But if a team like Chicago is very fast, it make sense to go one way and then hand off the other ... but not back to the first direction.

I think Caldwell may have had an option, but there were two defenders in front of him and he was likely to lose yardage too.

That playcall was like a really bad movie where you just think "how were all these people OK with making this?" I imagine either BB or TB could've and should've said "F this" - it was the worst play call this season, IMO. I just don't see why you try that there.

Last edited:
And when McDaniels has called them, they are always busted up...McDaniels has no idea what the hell he is doing, most of the time.

Yeah except for the Pats are 7th in yards in the NFL and 9th in points scored. Also they were the first team all year to go over 300 yards against the Bears (#1 D in the NFL in yards and points) this year..354 yards.:rolleyes:

I dont like to disagree within a topic we agrree on, but I believe tape proves it likely would have been a significant gain had Caldwell ran a single reverse.

I dont like to disagree within a topic we agrree on, but I believe tape proves it likely would have been a significant gain had Caldwell ran a single reverse.

Right, but they didn't call a single reverse, they called a handoff + a double reverse - not only could I have made myself a pretty dandy sandwich while that play was developing, I would've come back to find out that the play by design was running CJ right back to the area where the defense is drawn to on the play.

And the greater portion of them came in three games. Cinci, Minn and GB.

AGAIN 354 yards against the #1 D in the NFL....NO ONE else has even broken 300 against them. revise history all you want but the Pats are 8-3...of course even if we win the SB this year the OC sucks just like the last three SB victories ( and two 17-2 seasons where out OC sucked so bad you called for his head EVERY week)

Last edited:
Right, but they didn't call a single reverse, they called a handoff + a double reverse - not only could I have made myself a pretty dandy sandwich while that play was developing, I would've come back to find out that the play by design was running CJ right back to the area where the defense is drawn to on the play.

You obviously didnt take the time to read the whole thread. By the way can you have a reverse without an initial handoff going in an initial direction???

You obviously didnt take the time to read the whole thread. By the way can you have a reverse without an initial handoff going in an initial direction???

I was referring to the initial handoff to Dillon and I wasn't trying to disagree with what you were saying, so calm down, its all good.

I have been looking for this topic. That play call is the most idiotic call I have seen in 35 years of watching football! I was waiting for a reverse or screens to be called to take advantage of their over pursuit. When Caldwell handed it off for a double reverse I just started screaming. I have resisted the over throw the off. coordinator talk, but its time for a change. The play calling has become worse than our local H.S play calling. That call was idiotic!

One play... one play.... one play. Calm down.

Oh and btw it's nice to know that a worse play calling team than your local HS can be the only one in the NFL to pass 300 yards against the bears this season. Pretty good high school football you guys got there

Actually, if you took the time to read a lot of the posts on this board tonight, you would see that there are a lot of people starting threads, or typiong posts with a negative comment about the play calling and the OC.

I am but one of many, so why dont you be a good little boy and go pester them. They want to hear your expertise, seeing as you believe you are an expert.

In reality, you really dont know what the hell you are talking about.

Listen I have had enough of your condensation. Maybe I will watch the next game at the vine and see if you are man enough to be so smug in person. I know you won't because you only threaten those out of state. You need to reign in your little tantrums and condesending attitude and your "good little boy " comments. I am niether a little boy and I don't appreciate your attitude and I WILL CALL YOU ON IT. If you want to back your commnents up fine I will watch the game at the vine next week unless your going to waste my time.

By the way they are complaining about ONE CALL. ONE CALL!

The ironic thing about that play is that it depended on a good Bears D to sniff out the reverse and overpursue. The Bears were completely fooled, and if Reche had taken it, it could have been a TD (the only defenders left on that side of the field had bodies on them).

In any event, I think that the play was successful in that it scared the bejeebus out of the Bears D. After that play we rarely saw them bring more than 4, and Urlacher played farther off the line (see the Brady juke play).

R

One play... one play.... one play. Calm down.

Oh and btw it's nice to know that a worse play calling team than your local HS can be the only one in the NFL to pass 300 yards against the bears this season. Pretty good high school football you guys got there

Well we scored 17 pts aided by 4 turnovers and a 52 yard field goal. The offensive line gave up zero sacks. Its not about being calm or excited its about voicing ones opinion. Is it possible to put up 350 yards despite poor play calling? I think our offense is tough when Brady is sharp, and doesnt make poor decisions. I believe we would be a significantly better team if the play calling was on par with our prior superbowl teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes