Welcome to PatsFans.com

Worst coached game in BB's Patriots tenure?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by AFPatsFan12, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFPatsFan12

AFPatsFan12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Racking my brain, I am having difficulty coming up with a worse one...

(1) The bad challenge on the 12 men on the field call. Either thinking that the actual 12th man got off, or for thinking that the 11th man running off was actually the 12th man... just terrible.

(2) Burning the final timeout. In retrospect, the play WORKED. Cassel got the first down, but there needed to be some understanding that, if the play wasn't there, Cassel needed to take the Delay of Game penalty, and and have Ghost try a 30 yarder. That timeout is too valuable (primarily for challenge purposes). Case in point, there was a play that NBC glossed over where it was pretty clear Dallas Clark fumbled. It was also pretty clear that there was clear recovery by a Patriot (a "play through the whistle type deal"). But, no timeout = no challenge.

(3) The 3rd and 16 shovel pass to Faulk. Obviously, this one is on McDaniels (who I thought called a great game, except for this play). But you're playing a small, fast Colts defense. You're finally getting some mid-range pass plays underneath. Why, in the name of all that's holy, not try to pick up 8-10 yards there, either to (a) set up a manageable 4th down, or (b) get Ghost a 53-54 yard game-tying field goal attempt.

(4) The 2-point conversion... pure panic on BB's part. Midway through the third, you don't chase points, period. Baffling...

(5) Why is Deltha O'Neal playing 10 yards off his receiver when a first down all but ends the game?? Not sure if that was by defensive design or not... but goodness...

A mind-numbingly frustrating loss. This makes it VERY difficult to win a Wild Card birth (a bad 3-3 conference record, with tie-breaking losses to the Colts and Chargers). Certainly this isn't a devastating loss for the season... but man does it complicate things....
  2. sieglo

sieglo Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Good post.

Sad thing is, I think BB had a very good game plan, which the team executed well ins spite of the horrific game management by BB.

So depressing.
  3. jgpatriot

jgpatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I hope the thread does not get moved. I do not post much but I was having exact thoughts. BB is human and is entitled to an off-day. Unfortunately, some of his decisions did not help tonight. Of course, this does not take Dave Thomas and Jabar Gaffney off the hook either.

In the end, the Patriots are still in the running for the playoffs. They can really help themselves with a win over the Bills next Sunday.
  4. PittPatriot

PittPatriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

They need to sweep the Buff-NYJ games before I exhale.
    As for BB, he is like the kid who studied so hard leading up to the test, pulled an all-nighter and was totally prepared...but then fell asleep before completing the exam.
    Great game plan...poor in game coaching/decision making.
  5. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It wasn't the worst, but it did seem awkward.

My biggest complaint about the coaching of this game was calling that stupid wildcat play. Yes it works when the other team hasn't seen it yet, but the entire league is prepared for it. Unless Moss is going to throw a TD to Gostkowski, you aren't going to fool anyone and it's just a wasted play. I really thought BB/McDaniels would be smart enough not to use someone else's idea and come up with something on their own.
  6. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

the 12 men challenge has to be on someone upstairs who counted wrong and asked bb to challenge.
  7. Trot

Trot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Uh, going for it on fourth and 13 from the Giants 31 ring any bells...? The Superbowl was his worst coached game ever.
  8. DocE

DocE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'd have to agree. The lack of adjustments in that game was baffling.
  9. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Pretty much.

As far as in-game coaching, it is the worst I can recall since he's been in NE.
  10. Richter

Richter Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I can't think of a worse game by BB. One of his very few clunkers. I found myself disagreeing with him at numerous points in the game, especially the terrible challenge. I really felt like the Patriots were the better team and the coaching along with two awful plays lost it for them. Thomas and Gaffney are big-time goats this week.
  11. tombonneau

tombonneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I was going to post something similar. Usually, I'm watching games by other coaches who terribly mismanage the game and think "Thank God we have BB"; but this time it was him making some highly suspect coaching decisions.

Only thing I can think of is the last few years when the Pats play the Colts he seems to "coach scared". Going for 2 was the perfect example of this.

Ironically, it was his conservative, chicken**** TO on 4&1 that was his biggest mistake of the game.

All in all, very frustrating to see BB out-think himself like this. Ultimately, I'm not sure any of it cost the team the game as the Gaffney drop & Dave Thomas penalty did a lot more damage, but it certainly didn't help.

You also bring up an excellent point about needing a TO on that Clark play, as it looked like a fumble to me. (Unfortunately, NBC wasn't too concerned with running a replay).
  12. Hardboiled

Hardboiled Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Almost like they conceded a first down with that coverage. When the camera panned over, I was surprised to see the reciever standing and waiting for the ball.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  13. Bonzo

Bonzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Not BB's best gametime decisions, but given one fewer mental error by either Thomas or Gafney, this thread doesn't exist.
  14. patsgo

patsgo Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

3rd and 12 a running play and settle for a field goal??? awful game for belichick
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Not sure it is mind numbing, but it is frustrating.. seen better coached games and seen worse by BB, in reality all of this would have been moot if Gaffney caught the ball or if Thomas did not get the call(which looked like an overreaction by the refs).. it was a chess match and the pats lost.
  16. World Champs 3X

World Champs 3X Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

3 and 12 play with the safety playing back hard to pick up a first down like that the draw has been working all night. TO play if you watch the end of the play their was a fumble not exactly shore when it occurred but the ball seemed to come out fairly early.
  17. Mack Herron

Mack Herron Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

When Brady first came in Charlie Weiss understood that the margin for error was small and that he needed to take some shots to win (remember Patton to Brown in Indianapolis?). We are now content to throw three yard passes and try to win with field goals, and that simply won't cut it in this league, which is too competitive and where human beings will occassionally, fumble, throw an interception, or drop a pass. Coaching: F.
  18. nashvillepatsfan

nashvillepatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Yep, you're right. That 3 yard pass Gaffney dropped just isnt gonna cut it:rolleyes:
  19. Peytonsbetter

Peytonsbetter Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Actually, running on 3rd and 12 is usually a good call against this Colt's defense, especially when they're in a dime defense. They are God-awful at defensive tackle and inconsistent at linebacker.
  20. Mack Herron

Mack Herron Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

One shot at the end zone is not enough. Please see scoreboard.
  21. nashvillepatsfan

nashvillepatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Oh crap, I forgot to look at that:rolleyes:

Try looking at the whole season, and the passes that have been thrown, instead of just one game. Do you want him to throw it 50 yards into double coverage, risking an int, just so they can say they did it? They're taking what the defense is giving. Granted I would prefer that THEY dictate to the defense, and not the other way around, but the offense played a pretty good game. Cassell is improving each week, and the running game could easily have tanked, but their doing ok. Even the O-line did good last night.
  22. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

Good post, especially for including the details, tho I might put the O'Neal coverage on someone besides BB. They are painful to remember tho...

There's a line that I remember from school years ago that "even Homer nods," meaning that in his poetry the great Homer has occasional lines that don't have the right rhythm. "Even Homer nods" means that even Homer was occasionally asleep at the switch.

Even Belichick nods.

We're still tied for the Division lead. If anyone had told me right after the first game that I could have the Pats 5--3 at the halfway point, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. Gotta put this one behind us.
  23. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I was surprised BB went for two so early. I was also perplexed why McDanials kept calling screen passes, considering their ineffectiveness. Too bad Sanders had to get healthy this week...he is a true difference maker.
  24. Nunchucks

Nunchucks Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -1

This loss was definitly on the coaching staff. I agree that the challenge was pointless...5 yards in the middle of the field on first down....it was a dumb challenge.

They were running the ball well all night, why not go for it on 4th and inches? Stop wasting timeouts, this was a last possesion game, it was obvious that the game was gonna turnout like that. Going for 2 points was bad...don't ever chase points.

Also, Cassel has a lot of troublein the red zone, to help loosen up the defense they should have thrown more balls into the end zone when they were in the red zone.

This game was so very close that the smallest mistake could lose it......dropped pass by Gaffney and of course the personal foul....but, they really needed to throw the ball up into the back of the end zone to moss...he has a huge height advantage and they really shouldahve tried to take advantage of that.
  25. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Horribly coached......

I bet any schmuck off the street could hold a Peyton Manning led offense to 18 points the week after losing the teams best defensive player.

I bet any schmuck off the street could game plan four 13 + play, 6 min + scoring drive against a Colts defense that has seen the return of Sanders.

I bet any schmuck could get 140 yards of rushing without their #1, #2, & #3 RBs.

/sarcasm
  26. patsgo

patsgo Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

he is human and he does make mistakes , not going for it on 4th and one on the road against manning and settling for a field goal is coaching not to loose, plan and simple
  27. jgpatriot

jgpatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Horribly coached......

I bet any schmuck off the street could hold a Peyton Manning led offense to 18 points the week after losing the teams best defensive player.

I bet any schmuck off the street could game plan four 13 + play, 6 min + scoring drive against a Colts defense that has seen the return of Sanders.

I bet any schmuck could get 140 yards of rushing without their #1, #2, & #3 RBs.

Oh, great one in the hoodie. We do not mean to offend. Again, it have been previously stated by others that the game planning portion of coaching was good. It was the in game management decisions, where BB had an off night. You are kidding yourself if you think BB would repeat any of the in-game management errors again.
    1. Challenge for 12man penalty, which would only provide an 1st down and 5.
    2. Going for two early in 3rd quarter.
    3. Being indecisive with the 4 and 1 which the Pats made the 1st down but lost when he called TO.

I still would not trade BB for any other coach but he had an off night. Also, I am not oblivious of Dave Thomas' penalty and Gaffney's drop.

BB, Dave Thomas, Gaffney, O'Neal, and Richardson were my top 5 goats for this game.
  28. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

A better thread title might have been worst managed game in BB's tenure, but he had more to do with this loss than the guy you chose to pile on. Honestly, you're becoming a one trick pony whose (increasingly unnecessary I might add) defense of Cassel has begun to warp your brain. Nobody was going to complain about Matt last night and your pre-emptive defense of him at Thomas' expense is actually as pathetic as the Cassel bashers earlier attempts to blame him for everything.

Great game plan, solid execution save for Gaffney's whiff on a TD pass, costly mistake by 1 player but a couple of uncharacteristically costly mistakes by the HC and his eye in the sky. Really, how often do you see Bill mismanage the clock and challenges the way we routinely lambaste lesser HC's for doing fairly regularly? He overmanaged situations last night and got in the way of his own team at critical junctures. And what bothers me is he did it for a chance to punk the Colts at their own game (12 men on D). And having already made that mistake he compounded it by calling his last remaining TO to negate a 4th and 1 converted and swap it for a FG...and then his team paid the price when we had no TO's or challenge capacity for the last 11:38 of the game. And there were at least 2 plays he could have legitimately utilized a challenge on. And two TO's would have meant either the Colts could not milk all the time off the clock in the closing minutes or we could have run alternative plays present the ability to stop the clock.
  29. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -1

Disable Jersey

One day people will realize that someone can make different decisions than they would have and still have those decisions not be wrong, even if they don't pan out.

Sadly, given the gibberish I've seen all over the board ever since the game last night, those people will probably not be Patriots fans.
  30. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +56 / 2 / -2

there's a ton of second guessing after a loss like this..,..we can argue back and forth all week and still have more to argue about...but to me, when a guy is paid 6 or 7 figures to perform, has had literally 1000's of reps to hone his skills, is WIDE OPEN, has the ball hit him IN STRIDE in both hands at THE crucial point of the game and fukks THAT up, I have to wonder what the hell he's doing out there in the first place.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.