PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worst case scenario...

Status
Not open for further replies.
all 3teams tied in the afc east. fins and jets are the healthiest teams in the league and pats are in ICU. We are still tied .

We all expect a lot from our team and we have lots of issues right now on defense but just think...its nothing short of amazing we still have a shot at making the playoffs.
That said, i would be surprised if dallas doesnt beat baltimore on saturday night at home.We just need to handle zona and the bills . And we might get the JESTS on wild card weekend.

Anyone know off-hand how many 11-5 teams have not made the playoffs?

1 team has gone 11-5 and missed the playoffs, the Denver Broncos in 1985.

All we could hope for is to win our games.. I think Arizona will be the last tough game.. We cant control what the jets and miami does, 1 team will be out of the playoffs and If we have to go in as a wild card and have a team win the division, I would rather see Miami win, and then we would go to Miami and play them ..

Cassel's already guaranteed this team will have a winning record this season. It's not as much as I'd like, but how many other rookie QBs could do that with a team this injury depleted?
Granted he never started before this season, but Cassel is hardly a rookie.

1 team has gone 11-5 and missed the playoffs, the Denver Broncos in 1985.

Correct. But no team has gone 11-5 and missed the Playoffs since the league moved to the current format in 1990 (six playoff teams in each Conference).

All we could hope for is to win our games.. I think Arizona will be the last tough game.. We cant control what the jets and miami does, 1 team will be out of the playoffs and If we have to go in as a wild card and have a team win the division, I would rather see Miami win, and then we would go to Miami and play them ..

Disagree. I think the Cards will be tough, no doubt, especially if the weather is unseasonably nice. But, the shamed Bills will be playing their Super Bowl if beating us means keeping the Pats out of the Playoffs. That will be a war.

Why all the obsession with "no team has ever gone 11-5 and missed the playoffs? Even given that Denver's miss was with a different playoff format, both statements mean nothing. It's chanting a magical mantra that's meaningless.

Here are the salient facts. It is quite mathematically possible for the Pats to go 11-5 and be out. Better yet, it is even quite PROBABLE that this could occur, given the Pats win out. The odds of this team possiblilty going 11-5 and playing golf in January, actually INCREASED after last Sunday's results with the Pats, Jets and Phins winning. Our current most probable playoff berth shot is for Dallas to beat Baltimore.

then the Jets beat the Dolphins (who will have nothing to play for) to deny us the Division...Ouch!
More silliness.

There is always something to play for in division games. Way too much rivalry to shut it down against a division opponent. Especially in AFCE (and NFCE, NFCN, AFCN, AFCW).

I think the Jets and Fins are going to tie.

Seriously, if your back up QB who had never started a game since high school,
You do understand that games are won and lost depending on how teams play, right, not when their QB last started a game. This is like the argument that Russell played better than Cassel last Sunday because Russell was a #1 pick in the draft, and Cassel was a late round pick. None of the matters in a game, Bunky.

Anyway, who are you talking about? The Patriots QB last started a game a couple days ago.

Patriots played well today. Ravens lost which helps our chances tremendously to possibly grab the last WC spot if they lose to Dallas next week. So I believe the Patriots will play at least one game in January. I would like to go into New York and bust Mangini's chops and then go to Pittsburgh
Actually, I believe if we take the sixth seed, we'll play the AFCE winner (jets or dolphins), then travel to Titans. Won't see Manning unless the COlts beat the Broncos and Steelers.

Actually, I believe if we take the sixth seed, we'll play the AFCE winner (jets or dolphins), then travel to Titans. Won't see Manning unless the COlts beat the Broncos and Steelers.

We're getting WAY ahead of ourselves here, but I actually like our chances in both of those games.

I don't see that at all. Denver 's last game is against the Chargers in San Diego. I think the Bolts will go all out to rescue a non losing season and finish 8-8, and stuff the hated Broncos.

In which case, Denver goes in as 10-6, fourth seed, and plays the 6th WC namely us... in DENVER, at Mile High! Dread and Foreboding...:violent:

Last edited:
I think it comes down to Dallas vs Baltimore on Saturday night. I think it is absolute elimination for the Cowboys and strategic elimination for the Ravens.....

The Sunday matchup - Kansas City vs Miami will be tough for the frozen fish - long term forecasts for KC calls for highs in the teens. My concern is that my application to replace Herm Edwards as HC for this day only was rejected.

The Jets are flying out to Seattle next week.... Isn't it so nice that Holmgren and Favre get together one last time. The coaching matchup will be important out there and my money certainly will not be on the J_E_T_S....... I predict an AOG next weekend in Seattle.

The Pats always play their best and that is good enough for me. If the Ravens, Jets, and Fish all win next weekend, my hats off to them and I'll move on to the Celtics fulltime.

I don't see that at all. Denver 's last game is against the Chargers in San Diego. I think the Bolts will go all out to rescue a non losing season and finish 8-8, and stuff the hated Broncos.

In which case, Denver goes in as 10-6, fourth seed, and plays the 6th WC namely us... in DENVER, at Mile High! Dread and Foreboding...:violent:

If Denver gets the #4 seed, it would be Indy at #5 going up there. Should not bother Peyton at all.

There is a remote chance of the Patriots as 6 seed having to go to Denver for the AFC championship which would be a heckuva story line.

If the Ravens and PATS win out but we are out of the Wild Card race...and then if the Jets win next week against Seattle, and the Dolphins lose against the Chiefs and then the Jets beat the Dolphins (who will have nothing to play for) to deny us the Division...Ouch!

======================================================

Seems like the most likely scenario is the Jets winning the AFCE again.

You do understand that games are won and lost depending on how teams play, right, not when their QB last started a game. This is like the argument that Russell played better than Cassel last Sunday because Russell was a #1 pick in the draft, and Cassel was a late round pick. None of the matters in a game, Bunky.

Anyway, who are you talking about? The Patriots QB last started a game a couple days ago.

You appear to have picked a small piece of my post to seize on and, in the process, missed the entire point.

Whatever. I guess some just like to fight.

If the Patriots go 11-5, given what they've gone through, it will be an amazing accomplishment, playoffs or not. If that point gives you a problem, so be it.

======================================================

Your logic (sic) befuddles me. the way the vaunted Jets are playing, their aged waning QB and the team and their coaching indicates that the most probable AFCE winnah is the (ugh, gack) Doofins, NOT the Jets who are in a tailspin.

Here's an acronym for ya, SOJ!

Last edited:
Your logic (sic) befuddles me. the way the vaunted Jets are playing, their aged waning QB and the team and their coaching indicates that the most probable AFCE winnah is the (ugh, gack) Doofins, NOT the Jets who are in a tailspin.

Here's an acronym for ya, SOJ!

=========================================================

I am truly looking forward to the Jet Vs Fish round 2, I think the Jets stack up well against the Fish and have more or less owned the Fish in recent years.

Favre Vs Penny, the AFCE on the line, Loser is out of the play offs. Could be a wicked pissah game.

I'm just worried the Jets lose to the Seahags.

again??...that's pretty rich...coming from a 4-12 train wreck survivor and a zero for 40 year championship drought prisoner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back