PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worst BB coached game??

Status
Not open for further replies.

USCPatriot

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Before I start, let me just say I am already over this loss. This team has shown plenty of resiliency over the past decade and will continue to do so under Bill Belichick. I as well as EVERYBODY here has no right to question his methods.

BUT does anyone else feel like this has been one of the most poorly coached games we have seen in a while? Welkers limited role on offense, the play calling, the decision to not even attempt to gain more yardage for a closer field goal. These are ALL substantial head scratchers that even the most inferior humans would react to. Again, I could care less now about the outcome of todays game AND I give a hand to the Defense who ultimately did their job along with Gotskowski who made 3 previous tough field goals but the offense needs to step their game up.

Does anyone else think that this was one of the worst BB coached games this team has seen? Even still, they lost by two on a missed field goal, thats substantially better than getting blown out. Just pointing that out to the people that are driving themselves insane right now trying to get an answer out of BB.

Before I start, let me just say I am already over this loss. This team has shown plenty of resiliency over the past decade and will continue to do so under Bill Belichick. I as well as EVERYBODY here has no right to question his methods.

BUT does anyone else feel like this has been one of the most poorly coached games we have seen in a while? Welkers limited role on offense, the play calling, the decision to not even attempt to gain more yardage for a closer field goal. These are ALL substantial head scratchers that even the most inferior humans would react to. Again, I could care less now about the outcome of todays game AND I give a hand to the Defense who ultimately did their job along with Gotskowski who made 3 previous tough field goals but the offense needs to step their game up.

Does anyone else think that this was one of the worst BB coached games this team has seen? Even still, they lost by two on a missed field goal, thats substantially better than getting blown out. Just pointing that out to the people that are driving themselves insane right now trying to get an answer out of BB.

The Playoff game against the Jets in 2010 and the playoff Ravens game in 2009 were probably his worst in terms of preparation for the opponent.

I don't think the game plan was all that bad yesterday but more of a team that looked ahead to Baltimore too early and maybe took a lightly heralded NFC team too lightly.

I agree with you, which partly goes to show how great BB is on a consistent basis. It's rare that he is to blame for a loss. Most of the time people on these boards are quick to blame coaches and coordinators, when in fact it's execution that's the problem. But today's game was extremely poor coaching. The offensive gameplan truly was stubborn and head-scratching. The strategic decisions were also baffling. Seemed like BB was inhabited today by a rookie coach.

I really don't see a lot of blame from the offense today. With the exception of the tipped pass on the first play, no turnovers. Brady has a good game- not great game- altogether. He avoided several sacks, put the ball on the money most of the time, and tore up the defense when he actually targeted WW and RG. Edelman had a strong game (and I am the first to criticize Edelman), the offensive line blocked well for half the game (although when they were clearly losing momentum, the playcalling was to continue running the ball into a brick wall.) Can't really single out Lloyd, Welker, Gronkowski, or anyone for this loss. It was the coaching, simple as that.

I think something is up with the offense that we don't know about. Pure speculation, but could Welker have a concussion? He just looks dazed out there. He seems to want to go down quickly and isn't as interested in YAC. His eyes just don't seem normal- he seems almost confused. On one pass to the sidelines, the ball went through his hands without him making an attempt to catch it. Just strange- very strange.

They are not sending Gronk into the seem as much. Possible complications for his ankle? Maybe I am overreacting, but I've yet to see the highly explosive player as last year.

Could be more to it than we realize is all I'm saying.

Where was Ridley in the second half? ...Nuff said...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

i think the 07 super bowl was poorly coached. The Patriots should have beat that Giants team by 17 points. They could have made all the helmet catches they wanted in garbage time......

regular season, this was the most infuriating loss. horrible horrible Miami team. They also lost home field advantage because of this loss. didn't matter in the end though...

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=241220015

The Playoff game against the Jets in 2010 and the playoff Ravens game in 2009 were probably his worst in terms of preparation for the opponent.

I don't think the game plan was all that bad yesterday but more of a team that looked ahead to Baltimore too early and maybe took a lightly heralded NFC team too lightly.

I don't think that had anything to do with it. The defense played exceptionally well. The troubles were on offense and ST. And once Hernandez went down they were toast because the game plan has now become totally 2 all world TE dependent. And the roster has been needlessly shortened with developmental players because someone thought they didn't need veteran depth on offense this year other than at TE...

Where was Ridley in the second half? ...Nuff said...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Getting stuffed. If anything Josh tried too hard to feature the run. Try watching the game before adding commentary.

I agree with you, which partly goes to show how great BB is on a consistent basis. It's rare that he is to blame for a loss. Most of the time people on these boards are quick to blame coaches and coordinators, when in fact it's execution that's the problem. But today's game was extremely poor coaching. The offensive gameplan truly was stubborn and head-scratching. The strategic decisions were also baffling. Seemed like BB was inhabited today by a rookie coach.

I really don't see a lot of blame from the offense today. With the exception of the tipped pass on the first play, no turnovers. Brady has a good game- not great game- altogether. He avoided several sacks, put the ball on the money most of the time, and tore up the defense when he actually targeted WW and RG. Edelman had a strong game (and I am the first to criticize Edelman), the offensive line blocked well for half the game (although when they were clearly losing momentum, the playcalling was to continue running the ball into a brick wall.) Can't really single out Lloyd, Welker, Gronkowski, or anyone for this loss. It was the coaching, simple as that.

I think something is up with the offense that we don't know about. Pure speculation, but could Welker have a concussion? He just looks dazed out there. He seems to want to go down quickly and isn't as interested in YAC. His eyes just don't seem normal- he seems almost confused. On one pass to the sidelines, the ball went through his hands without him making an attempt to catch it. Just strange- very strange.

They are not sending Gronk into the seem as much. Possible complications for his ankle? Maybe I am overreacting, but I've yet to see the highly explosive player as last year.

Could be more to it than we realize is all I'm saying.

I was thinking concussion for Welker initially, but he's never been on the injury report or missed practice and if he had symptoms he'd be out - that's an independent neurologist's decision unless it went unreported because it occurred in a practice which would be criminal. I think he's rusty and his and Brady's fine timing is a hair off because he never got a pre season snap after mid August. He even mentioned his lack of pre season snaps prior to week 1. And I think he's swallowing hard because of what is going on. But if there were something wrong, why on earth would you have let Branch go. And then added Salas who is inactive.

Gronk could be the ankle or the lifestyle. Both he and Ahern were still prone to occasional periods of loss of focus. He doesn't look lame so much as plodding. Again, that is why you have plan B, and it doesn't always just mean collecting injured TE's to create the illusion of depth.

i think the 07 super bowl was poorly coached. The Patriots should have beat that Giants team by 17 points. They could have made all the helmet catches they wanted in garbage time......

regular season, this was the most infuriating loss. horrible horrible Miami team. They also lost home field advantage because of this loss. didn't matter in the end though...

New England Patriots vs. Miami Dolphins - Recap - December 20, 2004 - ESPN

In 2007 SB it was the battle of the trenches that decided that game,Brady had virtually no time in the pocket and Mankins might have played his worst game thus far that day.....more of the line that lost that SB then the game plan.

You can plan a game to perfection,but if the fat guys protecting the QB ain't doing it,you ain't winning any game.

The Pats OL was Justin Tuck,Osi and Strahan's beeches that day.

Last edited:
The game plan, the playing calling, and the coaching overall were primarily to blame for this loss imo. Belichick ultimately has to bear the responsibility. This garbage with Edelman starting and seeing more playing time than Welker is about the dumbest decision ever made by a coach.

And for the record, I'm of the opinion that Belichick's "genius" has always been highly overrated. He certainly was not a genius in Cleveland and all of his success in New England has been directly tied to Tom Brady. Perhaps most telling, Belichick has been repeatedly outcoached in the postseason since the last Super Bowl championship in '04.

This garbage with Edelman starting and seeing more playing time than Welker is about the dumbest decision ever made by a coach.

1. That's ridiculous
2. We know about 1% of what Belichick knows on this matter. Hard to judge too much when there's obviously something going on that we don't know.

I think game plan, personnel and execution have been the problem for the Patriots, and that's in both games. After the first game, I pointed to what I thought was just a mediocre performance by the offense, and I was told I was reading it wrong.

This second game was just the furtherance of the pattern, likely due in fair part to the LT, RG, RT and TE issues.

Last edited:
1. That's ridiculous
2. We know about 1% of what Belichick knows on this matter. Hard to judge too much when there's obviously something going on that we don't know.
It's not ridiculous. Seriously, what don't we know? That Edelman is suddenly a better option than Welker? Give me a break. When Welker got his chances today he was the most dynamic receiver on the field. Any fool can see that Welker is at least much more skilled than Edelman as a slot WR.

Edelman being ahead of Welker on the depth chart is moronic. Period. Belichick's just being a stubborn, arrogant ass (likely holding a grudge over the contract issue) and in the process he's creating a competitive disadvantage for his team. Egregiously irresponsible.

That's the company line and Brady always echos it. Just like everyone works hard and how its his job to find ways to get them the ball even when they aren't getting open or catching it...

And most of the time execution is the cause of all their problems. Tonight though it seemed to be exacerbated by a single minded game plan that strives to avoid incorporating the reigning league leader in receptions in perhaps an effort to move away from him for reason's no one can seem to fathom given they are paying him $9.5M.

Again, he had a great camp per all the reports. Same old Wes. Edleman saw a lot more time. But then Wes was on the bench for the pre season games. Started after he missed practice due to a death in the family. And I'd hate to think Bill somehow saw that as misplaced priority. Then he practiced in pads in Tampa and didn't play in week 3. That was when some though he might have been dinged. That was a month ago. Hasn't been on the injury report since. So nothing explains this beyond them feeling Edleman is a better WR, and if they believe that they're out of their minds. He was on the field for more snaps and had fewer targets and 5 caches for 50 yards to Welker's 5 for 95. But hey, it was on a night where Brandon Lloyd was playing the role of Deion Branch, so who knows...

Deion Branch was another guy who looked great in camp when they let him compete and then couldn't get on the field or the roster because I guess he didn't fit some plan.

It's just really bizarre. But then this is now a team carrying 6 TE's 4 of whom can't get on the field and starting a 4th string RG because they wanted some concessions or insurance from their pro bowl RG. Seems almost foolish to question why they would be choosing to start a 5th WR and PR as their #2. The answer is obviously because they thought they could.

I think game plan, personnel and execution have been the problem for the Patriots, and that's in both games. After the first game, I pointed to what I thought was just a mediocre performance by the offense, and I was told I was reading it wrong.

This second game was just the furtherance of the pattern, likely do in fair part to the LT, RG, RT and TE issues.

Actually, I think the LT was the best OLman on the field today. It was really the interior OL who played badly as a group. But you could probably add WR to your issues list.

But then this is now a team carrying 6 TE's 4 of whom can't get on the field and starting a 4th string RG because they wanted some concessions or insurance from their pro bowl RG. Seems almost foolish to question why they would be choosing to start a 5th WR and PR as their #2. The answer is obviously because they thought they could.
Funny how the New England Patriots organization finally caved in at the end to Logan Mankins.

As for the wide receiver situation, the Edelman versus Welker debacle rages on.

Last edited:
Actually, I think the LT was the best OLman on the field today. It was really the interior OL who played badly as a group. But you could probably add WR to your issues list.

I didn't call them WR issues because it seems to be something deliberate on the part of the Patriots. Instead, I'd include it under game plan.

I didn't call them WR issues because it seems to be something deliberate on the part of the Patriots. Instead, I'd include it under game plan.

Seasonal agenda driven game planning has possibly effed up the roster out of the gate.

BB was BB. It was McDaniels that sucked. For all the success that McDaniels allegedly had in the past, his biggest weakness is still the same, failure to adjust and the willingness to admit what he was doing wasnt working.

It was apparent, as early as the first half, that McDaniels game plan and play selection just were getting the team nowhere, and fast. But it wasnt until midway through the final quarter that McDaniels made the changes, and we saw the team move the ball consistently and were in position to win the game.

Only a penalty marker thrown by an obscure official which would probably have never been thrown 99 out of 100 times kept the Pats from winning.

As far as getting an answer out of BB, forget it. He will not mention this game again, at least to the media and to the public. It is over.

And, for me, is is over, too. Immediately at games end I was in shock, disbelief and on the edge of tears. It lasted that way for several hours. Years ago it would last for days and day, and even longer.

But now, for me, it is over. We can not change what happened. And so, I, and all of us, need to move on. Tomorrow is a new day. Next Sunday will be a new opponent and for three hours we will all watch, and begin again.

I have been with this team since day one in 1960. There have been many bad days and many good days, but the pain was never greater than the pain I had today when this game came to an end. I will, probably,never forget it, but it, and the pain will fade.

I can say this, that having all of my fellow Pats fans that are in this forum to cry with, ***** with and feel each others pain has made it easier for me..... And so..... on to Baltimore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots