PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worrisome report from PFW about BB's future

Status
Not open for further replies.
I confess: when there are the words "worry" and "BB" in a thread title it gets me every time -- but this report is not plausible.

First, it supposes that money is the motivation. That presupposes the old "Kraft is cheap" line for which there is no evidence whatsoever. It also presupposes that someone who makes a LOT of money is motivated by having even more. That may be true of some people but, unless he's changed a lot, I don't think it is true of BB (let's face it, he's not spending it on clothes :D ).

Second, it supposes that BB and Pioli will split up. To my mind, if BB were to leave for a new job, it's much more likely that Pioli would go with him than not.

Third, it supposes that being coach of the Giants with someone else as General Manager is preferable for BB to being coach of the Patriots and General Manager as well.

So I don't buy it at all.

If you want to worry, worry that there have been behind-the-scenes difficulties with the Krafts. If that were happening, the Giants would know and would have been manoeuvring to create an opening that both of them could take at the end of the season. As it is now, there is no such opening -- and there most likely won't be one for a GM at the end of 2007.

I completely agree with Mike the Brit-- It completely absurd to think that Kraft would somehow go cheap in this situation. While Kraft is clearly a fan, my guess is that he's a businessman first. Belichick provides HUGE value to his asset. In fact, the Patriots are worth over $1b
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/30/307338.html
and generate $50m per year in operating revenue. Given the fact that he purchased the team for $172m in 1994 (and even with his nearly $300m investment in the stadium), he has made 3X on his money in that time frame.
What do people think BB is worth in terms of success for the Patriots on the field? What do people think Patriots football success means to the business? I bet you that whatever contract demands BB would have (in terms of premium above what Kraft would ideally want to pay) is eclipsed by the revenue hit (merchandise sales, advertising, etc) from a less successful team. Kraft is clearly incented to keep BB to keep up his asset's value and revenue stream.

Last edited:
Well I'm going to be rooting partly for the Giants next year so that they aren't looking for a new HC - although with no Tiki that could be a problem.

At least they're in the NFC so I could kind of still root for Belichick but not at the expense of the Patriots.

And although I don't want this to happen, there are some interesting Belichick guys out there like Urban Meyer or Kirk Ferentz and it would be intriguiing to see which direction Pioli would go.

Well...it sounds like Krafty is keeping his wallet shut (no shock there)

The Patriots have more 1 million+ players than any team in the league. They spread their money out differently, but Kraft is not cheap. Ask Brady, Seymour, Faulk, Light, Neal, Vrabel, Rodney and Colvin - among others. Learn the game.

The Giants just named a new GM (forget his name), a promotion of the personnel director. The new guy is black, which apparently was big news. Seeing him ousted after one year would put the Giants on the PR hotseat, it would seem.

The Giants just named a new GM (forget his name), a promotion of the personnel director. The new guy is black, which apparently was big news. Seeing him ousted after one year would put the Giants on the PR hotseat, it would seem.
He won't be gone, it would be a question of whether he and Belichick could work together like Belichick and Pioli can.

I think we have to also consider Belichick's motivation for staying or leaving... As I pointed out in my earlier post, I don't think Kraft would let him go over money unless BB was delusional (into which sometimes many with success and strong egos can slip). If it's about ego, I suspect (I don't know the man) he values his reputation as the 'genius' and perhaps greatest HC of all time. While on one hand he probably would like to prove he could win without Brady and the Pats, he would probably realize that it would be quite difficult at a minimum. Even the best GMing and coaching could still leave him empty handed at another team. I just find it hard to see him risk getting 'Parcelled'-- It may not be worth it as long as he's still winning in NE, still has Brady,and still making the right amount of bucks. Also, for all we know, Kraft may have also given him a significant equity stake in the Pats (or at least synthetic ownership) that ties him in beyond the cash compensation.

I think we have to also consider Belichick's motivation for staying or leaving ...

Hate to bring this up, but what about that blonde New Jersey babe he's involved with?

Pro Football Weekly?

yeah,makes a nice cat box liner

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afceast

I REALLY hope there is no truth to this, but given the recent rumors that have been discussed about this maybe there is some fire to this smoke.

Not something I like bringing up with a possible SB looming, but we can't stick our heads in the sand either.
Kraft has forked out so much other money making the Pats such a high class org that I can't believe he wouldn't be willing to pay BB the money he deserves.

If it weren't for the salary cap and if it were his choice, could you believe Kraft would be one willing to spend top dollars to obtain/retain desired talent? Paying BB handsomely is one way Kraft can spend the money he wants to keep the Pats on top without breaking any league rules.

Well...it sounds like Krafty is keeping his wallet shut (no shock there)...maybe the Giants will have theirs open?

You have him confused with Hingham residents.

Kraft has forked out so much other money making the Pats such a high class org that I can't believe he wouldn't be willing to pay BB the money he deserves.

If it weren't for the salary cap and if it were his choice, could you believe Kraft would be one willing to spend top dollars to obtain/retain desired talent? Paying BB handsomely is one way Kraft can spend the money he wants to keep the Pats on top without breaking any league rules.

Not to mention when he initially went after him he forked over a first rounder, much to everyone's shock and dismay.

He gave up so much for BB....has BB not produced? Has he not been worth it? I think we all know the answer to that one. Why would he not pay him now? It makes no sense, unless Kraft has suddenly morphed into Jerry Jones and has decided he could coach the team to a championship.

Re: What KRRRAAAAAAAAP

Why the Hell would anyone want to coach the Giants? I understand the whole "he won SBs there with his mentor" thing. But With all the human garbage on that team it would be a long time, even if he was given total control, until he could clean up that mess.

Re: What KRRRAAAAAAAAP

If Belichick ever willingly left Tom Brady to coach Eli Manning, I would call him an idiot.

Information on coaches' salaries isn't always reliable, but Forbes Magazine in December published its estimates (please don't get on my case if you think they're wrong, i'm just putting this out for discussion and Forbes is a reputable source.) If you know something else, just share it with us.

IF these numbers are correct then maybe there is an "issue" here. It's interesting to me that the rumors about BB's "unhappiness" flamed in December, right around when the article was published.

The magazine looks at the average annual salary a coach has earned over his time with a team. Here are the top ten:

Dungy: $3.6MM average (now $5MM)
John Fox: $3.4MM average (now $5MM)
Shanahan: $3.4MM
BB: $2.8MM average
Marty: $2.7MM average
Cowher: $2MM average ($4MM at time of resignation)
Lewis: $1.9MM average
Sean Payton: $1.8MM
Mora: $1.5MM average
Smith: $1.4MM average.

Let's archive this tread. Still premature. We don't want any distractions at this time. Go Pats:rocker:

Is PFW just a gossip mag now? It's like the two hags at the Herald.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back