PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

workouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tricktak

Banned
Reaction score
It's strange some of these players that the patriots are working out so far. Cortez Allen, Virgil Green, Andy Dalton, Jeremy Kurley? I'm not knocking the players they could turn out great but with two first round picks and two second round picks shouldn't they be looking at more players from the earlier rounds? The only player I really like here is Cortez Allen. Virgil Green is a tight end, which is far from a need or a luxury with two great tight ends already (Gronkowski and Herandez) and Andy Dalton makes no sense at all, I understand trying to give Hoyer some backup and getting a younger QB but Dalton is a projected possible second or third round pick. The last time they used a pick on a QB that early was Kevin O'Connell and we all know how that turned out. They should wait to find QBs in the later rounds like cassell and Brady. Jeremy Kurley I don't know much about but he doesn't look that impressive on tape either.

It's strange some of these players that the patriots are working out so far. Cortez Allen, Virgil Green, Andy Dalton, Jeremy Kurley? I'm not knocking the players they could turn out great but with two first round picks and two second round picks shouldn't they be looking at more players from the earlier rounds? The only player I really like here is Cortez Allen. Virgil Green is a tight end, which is far from a need or a luxury with two great tight ends already (Gronkowski and Herandez) and Andy Dalton makes no sense at all, I understand trying to give Hoyer some backup and getting a younger QB but Dalton is a projected possible second or third round pick. The last time they used a pick on a QB that early was Kevin O'Connell and we all know how that turned out. They should wait to find QBs in the later rounds like cassell and Brady. Jeremy Kurley I don't know much about but he doesn't look that impressive on tape either.

You know how teams are allowed to bring 30 players in for a visit each year? In 2009, they used one of those visits on Julian Edelman.

You know how teams are allowed to bring 30 players in for a visit each year? In 2009, they used one of those visits on Julian Edelman.

Those are just official visits (no football related activity).

The Patriots led the league in private workouts given last year, which have no set cap. They do their homework on a lot of prospects, regardless of what round a guy is "supposed to" get picked in.

Here are all the [URL="http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/04/patriots-draft-contacts-list.html]Workouts/Visits from last year[/URL].

Robinson, Spikes, Hernandez, McCourty were all seen.

Last edited:

I know. :)

My point is simply that if they're willing to "waste" (in the OP's view) one of those limited visits on someone they plan to take in the seventh round, that they're certainly going to spend time working out players in the second and third rounds (where they do have four picks ATM).

Yup. Just doing their homework on guys who they maybe haven't seen enough of (unlike, maybe, some of the "top" guys) - because you never know when one of your "moving parts" is going to break and you'll need a replacement.

Also, IIRC, the Pats are one of a handful of NFL teams that still do all their own scouting and evals. All the rest at least partly outsource/subscribe to one of a couple scouting firms whose evals are available to all the other teams in the league. It seems like it's been helpful to the Pats overall to have private info on some guys that, I'm sure, has led them to AVOID certain prospects.

The Patriots led the league in private workouts given last year, which have no set cap. They do their homework on a lot of prospects, regardless of what round a guy is "supposed to" get picked in.

Here are all the [URL="http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/04/patriots-draft-contacts-list.html]Workouts/Visits from last year[/URL].

Robinson, Spikes, Hernandez, McCourty were all seen.

Same with mesko and price. thats great hopefully we can get this years list before the draft, would be a great resource

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots