PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Word at NFL combine is Adam V. is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patti37 said:
I will miss Adam too but my sense is that he is gone.

Ted J. said on WEEI this week-end that first and foremost Adam was a business man and Ted thought he would go for the money. Second, he said that it was his sense that Adam was not happy about being franchised last year. So who really knows?

If I were AV, I'd be overjoyed at being franchised last year, and would beg to be franchised every year at 120% salary and a UFA the next year.

This is a kicker we're talking about. Not a position player where you're one hit away from retirement so you want a long term contract.

Adam's better off tagged. He can always take out an insurance policy in the miniscule chance he suffers a career-ending injury.

If true, I question Adam's financial savvy or that of his advisor.

dryheat44 said:
If I were AV, I'd be overjoyed at being franchised last year, and would beg to be franchised every year at 120% salary and a UFA the next year.

This is a kicker we're talking about. Not a position player where you're one hit away from retirement so you want a long term contract.

Adam's better off tagged. He can always take out an insurance policy in the miniscule chance he suffers a career-ending injury.

If true, I question Adam's financial savvy or that of his advisor.

I disagree. I'd want a three or more year contract, even at significantly less per year. Then you can relax, and rest assured you're not going to get cut unless you stink up the stadium. Build a nicer home, hope to get the kids into whatever college they/you want. Clarification on the word relax...I mean mentally, but physically, a guy like Vinatieri would still work hard to maintain his edge.

In a previous post, you said you got over Lynn and Fisk having to leave the Red Sox, Evans also, and Curtis Martin leaving the Patriots, but we didn't have to see Williams, Russell or Bird in any other uniform. Thank God. Orr, yes, but he was virtually finished because of injuries anyway. Not saying Adam is with Williams, Russell, Bird, Orr, but he means as much to me as those other guys. I hope they find a way to keep Adam.

Fanfrom1960 said:
I disagree. I'd want a three or more year contract, even at significantly less per year. Then you can relax, and rest assured you're not going to get cut unless you stink up the stadium. Build a nicer home, hope to get the kids into whatever college they/you want. Clarification on the word relax...I mean mentally, but physically, a guy like Vinatieri would still work hard to maintain his edge.

In a previous post, you said you got over Lynn and Fisk having to leave the Red Sox, Evans also, and Curtis Martin leaving the Patriots, but we didn't have to see Williams, Russell or Bird in any other uniform. Thank God. Orr, yes, but he was virtually finished because of injuries anyway. Not saying Adam is with Williams, Russell, Bird, Orr, but he means as much to me as those other guys. I hope they find a way to keep Adam.

The key phrase is "stink up the stadium". That holds true in both of our scenarios. In mine, unless you stink up the stadium, you're going to either:

1) Increase your salary for one year by 20%.
2) Hit the free market, where you can negotiate a deal under the said market.

In yours, you get the theoretical security of a three year deal for less average salary. And ideally the kicker will see the end of it.

In either scenario, the kicker has to keep kicking well to keep his job. The 3 year deal isn't going to keep you around if you're not.

In my opinion, the only reason to sign a multi-year deal is to insure yourself against injury.

I'm quite certain that the Pats offered Vinatieri the option of a three-year contract at less money than the franchise tag for 2005.

Vinatieri opted for the higher salary, but shorter term of the franchise tag deal. I don't know how he could be "upset" about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes