Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTibbs

In the Starting Line-Up
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-combinenotes022606&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Odds and ends: Though they won't have the money to dedicate to it, the Tennessee Titans are still intent on looking for a No. 1 receiver. … The Baltimore Ravens are looking for a veteran quarterback – but not just some guy to back up Kyle Boller. Word around the combine is that Drew Brees is at the top of their list if the new CBA deal goes through. … Bowling Green's Omar Jacobs has been knocked for his throwing mechanics, but he impressed several onlookers Sunday. He's probably still in the middle rounds, but some think he's a worthy project. … Judging from the personnel buzz at the combine, it's starting to look like this year's big loss in free agency for the New England Patriots will be kicker Adam Vinatieri.

Charles Robinson is the national NFL writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Updated on Monday, Feb 27, 2006 10:06 am EST

This is not exactly a shocker.

Not blaming you Mr. Tibbs but that is worthless f-ing news. In order for him to be 'gone" he has to go somewhere so it would have been nice if that guy would have told us where he has gone to.

We all know that he will be a free agent if the Patriots don't sign him by 3/3/06.

This seem to be the bull**** time of the year.:mad:

I think that their will be a one week delay to the start of the Free Agency period, to allow a finalization of the new CBA. Once signed the Pats will re-sign Adam. Still I wished they would have franchised him to be safe. The non-franchising (a new verb?) can be taken one of two ways.
The Pessimistic: The Pats feel that 3 mil a year is too much for a kicker and they are willing to let him go.
The Optimistic: The Pats promised Adam they would not franchise him again, so they kept that promise and they have a number out there to Adam, and they are willing to wait for a new CBA and for Adam to shop around with an aggreement that they have the right to match whatever price he gets. This way he doesn't feel that he is being short-changed.

In the long run I look for Adam to stay a Pat with a new three year deal.
But of course, I'm an optimist!

Kickers are a rarity in the Hall of Fame but this guy is damn near a lock to get in. I can't see the Patriots letting ADam get away. I hope they have an agreement arranged for after the finalization of the CBA.

FreeTedWilliams said:
I think that their will be a one week delay to the start of the Free Agency period, to allow a finalization of the new CBA. Once signed the Pats will re-sign Adam. Still I wished they would have franchised him to be safe. The non-franchising (a new verb?) can be taken one of two ways.
The Pessimistic: The Pats feel that 3 mil a year is too much for a kicker and they are willing to let him go.
The Optimistic: The Pats promised Adam they would not franchise him again, so they kept that promise and they have a number out there to Adam, and they are willing to wait for a new CBA and for Adam to shop around with an aggreement that they have the right to match whatever price he gets. This way he doesn't feel that he is being short-changed.

Please, drug use is affecting your judgement.
Adam is gone.
Givens is gone.
The only updates we need is to whom.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Please, drug use is affecting your judgement.
Adam is gone.
Givens is gone.
The only updates we need is to whom.

If the new CBA is signed, the Pats will have around 10 mil. in cap room for 2006.

pats1 said:
If the new CBA is signed, the Pats will have around 10 mil. in cap room for 2006.

And.............

pats1 said:

Nice non-sequitur
Some fans have serious problems dealing with reality

Adam - gone
Givens - gone

Worry instead about Willie and using the cap money to sign FA upgrades, Big Sey and the Twig before their contracts are about to expire

Fanfrom1960 said:
And.............

And other teams will have more to spend than the Patriots.

Adam has to assume this is his last chance to cash in big with a lucratvie signing bonus.

Givens figures its his first - and potentially last - opportunity to do so.

They will both go to the highest bidder. All things being equal I'm sure they would stay in NE - but all things are not equal and the Pats will likely not overpay the way other teams will.

One of the problems with the Patriots currently (with the old CBA) is that the Pats simply don't have the money to sign Adam to anything much more than veteran's minimum. With the new CBA, they will. If it comes down to a not-so-bad deal from the Pats and a larger deal from a losing team, well, I still think Adam will stay.

Look at the discount Bruschi and Brady (for the most part - he could have gotten well over $100 mil. on the open market) deals. If you think it's simply all about money for these players, that's not really the case. They have families that don't just want to pack up and move 2,000 miles after being here for awhile. These players know the value of the ideal Patriots franchise. They're not just going to be miserable somewhere else, when they have a locker room many can only dream of.

Or, take Troy for example. His son reportedly helped sway him away from the New Orleans money.

Last edited:
FreeTedWilliams said:

In addition to what you've mentioned, isn't it possible that BB and SP already have a replacement in mind? I can't see them letting his go with no plan B...his role is just too important.

pats1 said:
One of the problems with the Patriots currently (with the old CBA) is that the Pats simply don't have the money to sign Adam to anything much more than veteran's minimum. With the new CBA, they will. If it comes down to a not-so-bad deal from the Pats and a larger deal from a losing team, well, I still think Adam will stay.

Look at the discount Bruschi and Brady (for the most part - he could have gotten well over $100 mil. on the open market) deals. If you think it's simply all about money for these players, that's not really the case. They have families that don't just want to pack up and move 2,000 miles after being here for awhile. These players know the value of the ideal Patriots franchise. They're not just going to be miserable somewhere else, when they have a locker room many can only dream of.

Or, take Troy for example. His son reportedly helped sway him away from the New Orleans money.

We need a way to get Troy's son to cry to Adam to stay....

fgssand said:
We need a way to get Troy's son to cry to Adam to stay....

No kidding! Its apples and oranges - Troy had/has one, maybe two more seasons to go at a relatively low salary when he was making his decision.

Unless somone thinks Adam's only got 2 more seasons in him there's no comparison.

Been nice knowing ya buddy.

I can't say that money wouldn't be the most important thing to me if I were him but we now know it is with him.

I still say he stays, unless he listens to his football agent instead of his financial planner. The present and future endorsement, broadcast, and appearence dollars are not insignificant. Here, he's set for life. Elsewhere, who knows. Think about it, New England Ford, Bernie and Phils, Dunkin Donuts, and lets not forget Papa Ginos. Does he have others? He's got more endorsements than Brady! And should he stay till retirement, he's working Pats football broadcasts for one of the locals, possibly with network affiliation to either the NFL network or one of the big 3. CA-CHING!

Thats a lot of bonus money, boys.

shirtsleeve said:
The present and future endorsement, broadcast, and appearence dollars are not insignificant. Here, he's set for life. Elsewhere, who knows. Think about it, New England Ford, Bernie and Phils, Dunkin Donuts, and lets not forget Papa Ginos. Does he have others? He's got more endorsements than Brady!

I hope AV stays as well, but those sponsorship deals are overblown. That money, totaled up, is still small compared to the increase he would make going to another team.

If he goes, I won't blame him. Kickers don't get the chance to make the money he will be offered, and I think most of us would take higher pay if another company offered it to us.

shirtsleeve said:
I still say he stays, unless he listens to his football agent instead of his financial planner. The present and future endorsement, broadcast, and appearence dollars are not insignificant. Here, he's set for life. Elsewhere, who knows. Think about it, New England Ford, Bernie and Phils, Dunkin Donuts, and lets not forget Papa Ginos. Does he have others? He's got more endorsements than Brady! And should he stay till retirement, he's working Pats football broadcasts for one of the locals, possibly with network affiliation to either the NFL network or one of the big 3. CA-CHING!

Thats a lot of bonus money, boys.

I have been asking for a week for answer to what you are saying - Does anyone have a clue what these endorsements and appearances are worth, not to mention future employ. Is it close to the deal he may be looking at right now from Indy or Dallas (and don't tell me about tampering please, everybody talks).

MrTibbs said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-combinenotes022606&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Odds and ends: Though they won't have the money to dedicate to it, the Tennessee Titans are still intent on looking for a No. 1 receiver. … The Baltimore Ravens are looking for a veteran quarterback – but not just some guy to back up Kyle Boller. Word around the combine is that Drew Brees is at the top of their list if the new CBA deal goes through. … Bowling Green's Omar Jacobs has been knocked for his throwing mechanics, but he impressed several onlookers Sunday. He's probably still in the middle rounds, but some think he's a worthy project. … Judging from the personnel buzz at the combine, it's starting to look like this year's big loss in free agency for the New England Patriots will be kicker Adam Vinatieri.

Charles Robinson is the national NFL writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Updated on Monday, Feb 27, 2006 10:06 am EST

The source is Personnel buzz? Wow, he must really have something.

When they really have something it's, "a source in the front office" a "reliable source" "someone close to Viatieri" etc.

I don't know how far down the list "the personnel buzz" is, but it's pretty far.

And good luck to the Titans getting that #1 receiver with no money. rolleyes:

Last edited:
I will miss Adam too but my sense is that he is gone.

Ted J. said on WEEI this week-end that first and foremost Adam was a business man and Ted thought he would go for the money. Second, he said that it was his sense that Adam was not happy about being franchised last year. So who really knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes