PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Woods blurb in Cleveland Plain Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

braveht

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports/1157531445103760.xml?s1bro&coll=2

LB Woods an early NFL success story
Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Roger Brown
Plain Dealer Columnist
While plenty of rookies have taken interesting paths to making NFL season-opening rosters, few have had a more inspirational journey than Pierre Woods, the former Glenville High star and Michigan linebacker.

This time last year, Woods was undergoing a humiliating, humbling season at the hands of Lloyd Carr, Michigan's increasingly clueless head coach. Carr largely relegated Woods to playing special teams and backup linebacker and defensive end - even though the native Clevelander had spent most of three previous seasons as a starting LB.

Now, one year later, Woods has made the New England Patriots' regular-season roster as a rookie linebacker. To do so, Woods beat huge odds as an undrafted free agent and did enough to impress a guy considered the defensive genius in today's NFL: Patriots head coach Bill Belichick.

Not only is Woods' success a testament to his determination and persistence as a player, it's yet another indictment of Carr's ability as a coach. And it may help explain why Carr is on the hot seat this season at UM.

OT:(Last season, the Browns were physically manhandled during three losses (a loss to Minnesota and both defeats to Pittsburgh) and showed less-than-ideal mental toughness during two others (Detroit and Houston). But, according to Browns head coach Romeo Crennel, the 2006 team is much tougher physically and mentally. Why? Crennel suggested players now have a better idea of what he demands from them than they did in 2005, his first as Browns head coach)

Pretty cool. I would love it if Pierre Woods becomes a huge NFL success. Maybe he has some of that Tom Brady attitude in him, where Tom always feels like he has to prove himself.

Carr of course had Drew Henson rated higher than T Brady clueless indeed.

patsfan13 said:
rating henson higher than brady was not clueless at the time. henson was a very good qb in college.

Digger44 said:
rating henson higher than brady was not clueless at the time. henson was a very good qb in college.

Better than Brady?

Big_Os_Hometown said:
Better than Brady?

I didn't follow Brady much in college, but the thing I remember about him was that he was a winner.

As he is today, a winner.

The guy just NEVER GAVE UP. He just kept coming back.

You could see it back then, the guy is very special.

mikey said:
I didn't follow Brady much in college, but the thing I remember about him was that he was a winner.

As he is today, a winner.

The guy just NEVER GAVE UP. He just kept coming back.

You could see it back then, the guy is very special.

But college football is much more about pure athletic ability. Henson was a great athlete while Brady was skinny, lanky, and slow.

BB was going to take Brady in the 4th round that year..but read the draft correctly...still, he ALMOST lost him...to Minny I believe...but Brady was taken for one thing only....his presence in the pocket.His arm was average, he was skinny..he had negatives that normally prove out to be inadequate in the NFL

early on in Brady's first camp, BB noticed one peculiar thing..the kid moved in the pocket even though it was collapsing all around him...timed, BB found out the kid had a better better pressure recogniton and better footwork in the pocket than ALL PRO Bledsoe, who BB, let's face it, destroyed every time he gameplanned against him.

Now remember, Brady was kept as what, 3rd string that year, when everone thought he'd either be cut or practice squaded?..Then, out of nowhere, Brady works his way to #2 on the depth chart....all the experts thought BB was nuts..and when Bledsoe went done we were fooked...right?

Well, Brady had Rehbein mentoring him...and he worked with Troy Brown in sessions after team practice..and what they taught him was not to look for the downfiled big play, but be smart...look, aned if it's not there, look to the second, then the third...use your feet to move up in the pocket...and when you can't see any of the called play's options...well, take the 5 yard sideline to..guess who?? POsitve yardage is better than no yardage right?

Heh..the Patriots beat St Louis but Brady got the weak arm knock..thta's what these writers do...look for flaws before the team admits them and you're the big genius , right?

Well, Brady hit Brown just fine doing what he learned in that Super Bowl....Bledsoe would have went downfield, got into third and long, rush, overtime...we all know it...but what happened??? St Louis NEVER covereed what Brady first learned with Rehbein and Brown all those after practice sessions... it was beautiful..Tom Brady the hero??? Hardly...no..Tom Brady used what he was taught and what he trusted and the person he trusted the most, Troy Brown...to get arguably the greatest clutch kicker in history a shot to make a Super Bowl winning kick...on turf...ideal conditions....SEE YA, John Madden

It cost me a grand and it's the best I ever felt after a Patriots game...because Isaac Bruce and Tory Holt and Az Hakim and Ricky Proehl were the four BEST recievers in the entire NFL that season....but this little 5'10 180 pound goods hands but no better than a 4th receiver on any other team had taken the time to give this skinny kid THE one out no matter how the playcall came down.

And all anyone says today is..."look!! the Pats have Brown as their #1!!" Hahahahahahaaha!"

Is that right? read the archives and see what Holt and Bruce said after that game..."We had no answer for Troy Brown"..No ****.Well, Tom Brady CAN throw the deep ball, and with accuracy and touch, he's one of the best QB's in the league..everyone knows. You won't see Troy Brown catch anything from Brady this season on any out and up or post, but Troy IS going to make catches...wide open sonuva***** that little bastard did it again catches.

THAT is who we are...IMHO

Troy Brown was one of the best receivers in the NFL in 2001. He was absolutely amazing; he was the MVP of the Pats that year, imo. Without him, the passing game had *nothing*. To me, it ranks with the best years I've ever seen a Patriots WR have ...

But back to Pierre Woods ... it's interesting how willing the Patriots are to take a chance with a college back-up or a guy who shares time at a position (like Brady). Basically, some college coaches are idiots, or (in the case of Cassell) some kids are stuck behind premiere talent. But Belichick and Pioli know what they are looking for, and the decisions of a college coach mean nothing to what they want to do ...

Makes me wonder who was the link that promoted Woods to BB and SP? Could it have been an opposing coach who saw something or does the coaching tree extend to Michigan?

Joker said:
BB was going to take Brady in the 4th round that year..but read the draft correctly...still, he ALMOST lost him...to Minny I believe...but Brady was taken for one thing only....his presence in the pocket.His arm was average, he was skinny..he had negatives that normally prove out to be inadequate in the NFL

early on in Brady's first camp, BB noticed one peculiar thing..the kid moved in the pocket even though it was collapsing all around him...timed, BB found out the kid had a better better pressure recogniton and better footwork in the pocket than ALL PRO Bledsoe, who BB, let's face it, destroyed every time he gameplanned against him.

Now remember, Brady was kept as what, 3rd string that year, when everone thought he'd either be cut or practice squaded?..Then, out of nowhere, Brady works his way to #2 on the depth chart....all the experts thought BB was nuts..and when Bledsoe went done we were fooked...right?

Well, Brady had Rehbein mentoring him...and he worked with Troy Brown in sessions after team practice..and what they taught him was not to look for the downfiled big play, but be smart...look, aned if it's not there, look to the second, then the third...use your feet to move up in the pocket...and when you can't see any of the called play's options...well, take the 5 yard sideline to..guess who?? POsitve yardage is better than no yardage right?

Heh..the Patriots beat St Louis but Brady got the weak arm knock..thta's what these writers do...look for flaws before the team admits them and you're the big genius , right?

Well, Brady hit Brown just fine doing what he learned in that Super Bowl....Bledsoe would have went downfield, got into third and long, rush, overtime...we all know it...but what happened??? St Louis NEVER covereed what Brady first learned with Rehbein and Brown all those after practice sessions... it was beautiful..Tom Brady the hero??? Hardly...no..Tom Brady used what he was taught and what he trusted and the person he trusted the most, Troy Brown...to get arguably the greatest clutch kicker in history a shot to make a Super Bowl winning kick...on turf...ideal conditions....SEE YA, John Madden

It cost me a grand and it's the best I ever felt after a Patriots game...because Isaac Bruce and Tory Holt and Az Hakim and Ricky Proehl were the four BEST recievers in the entire NFL that season....but this little 5'10 180 pound goods hands but no better than a 4th receiver on any other team had taken the time to give this skinny kid THE one out no matter how the playcall came down.

And all anyone says today is..."look!! the Pats have Brown as their #1!!" Hahahahahahaaha!"

Is that right? read the archives and see what Holt and Bruce said after that game..."We had no answer for Troy Brown"..No ****.Well, Tom Brady CAN throw the deep ball, and with accuracy and touch, he's one of the best QB's in the league..everyone knows. You won't see Troy Brown catch anything from Brady this season on any out and up or post, but Troy IS going to make catches...wide open sonuva***** that little bastard did it again catches.

THAT is who we are...IMHO

I don't remember reading that Belichick wanted Brady in the 4th round. On the contrary, they were deliberating between picking Brady or Rattay in the 6th round. I also believe it was Rehbein who insisted and prevailed on picking Brady over Rattay.

patsfan13 said:

Wow. What a horrible article. Not surprising coming from the Pro-OSU Cleveland Plain Dealer. A couple things:

1. Pierre had off-field issues at UM (that are NOT going to be discussed). THAT is why he was not playing. Unlike a certain sweatervested coach lackin morals, Lloyd makes sure that his players leave the program in good shape (whether they play in the NFL or not.) Pierre had the talent to start, and play well. But he could've gone down a Clarett-path without the right teaching. Why does the CPD think Lloyd would sit a guy with All-American ability?

2. Lloyd did not have Drew "rated higher" than Tommy, or any of this other nonsense. One of the drawbacks of Tommy's stardom is the media perception that he was slighted at Michigan, or that somehow Drew started over him. Both not true. Tommy was a captain, quite possibly Lloyd's favorite player, and IMO the best QB we ever had. That being said, Drew was just amazing back then, and had to get on the field. I've gone over the Brady-Henson situation ad nauseum on here from my firsthand perspective with the QBs that year, but it still amazes me to this day when I read an article or hear on TV about Brady "sitting while Henson started."

Michigan Dave said:
Wow. What a horrible article. Not surprising coming from the Pro-OSU Cleveland Plain Dealer. A couple things:

1. Pierre had off-field issues at UM (that are NOT going to be discussed). THAT is why he was not playing. Unlike a certain sweatervested coach lackin morals, Lloyd makes sure that his players leave the program in good shape (whether they play in the NFL or not.) Pierre had the talent to start, and play well. But he could've gone down a Clarett-path without the right teaching. Why does the CPD think Lloyd would sit a guy with All-American ability?

2. Lloyd did not have Drew "rated higher" than Tommy, or any of this other nonsense. One of the drawbacks of Tommy's stardom is the media perception that he was slighted at Michigan, or that somehow Drew started over him. Both not true. Tommy was a captain, quite possibly Lloyd's favorite player, and IMO the best QB we ever had. That being said, Drew was just amazing back then, and had to get on the field. I've gone over the Brady-Henson situation ad nauseum on here from my firsthand perspective with the QBs that year, but it still amazes me to this day when I read an article or hear on TV about Brady "sitting while Henson started."

I'd agree with your assessment of Henson-Brady. Because when Michigan was losing it was always Brady in the 4th quarter not Henson......

Michigan Dave said:

I always appreciate your first hand knowledge. Thank you for your contributions.

zippo59 said:
But college football is much more about pure athletic ability. Henson was a great athlete while Brady was skinny, lanky, and slow.

Yeah, but athleticism doesn't make a huge difference in our system at Michigan in the QB position. Tommy was the perfect QB for our system, but just like today his biggest assets were his brain, his desire, and his leadership intangible. When I met him my freshman year for the first time, and saw the guy, I thought "this is our starting QB? the guy weighs as much as I do. Drew will beat him out right away." It took all of 10 minutes before I realized he was a special guy, and I would run into a wall if he said it would make us win. My sophomore year (his 5th year) he became a Michigan legend with comeback wins against ND, PSU, OSU, and the epic Orange Bowl v. Alabama. Tommy just wouldn't let us lose. Hell, he almost erased Drew's mistakes in leading us back at MSU, but we blew the onside kick and they ran the clock out.

Our QB depth that year was amazing. Brady and Henson are well known, but we had Jason Kapsner, who was another top recruit from 96 as the 3rd guy, and he could've started for any BigTen team except Purdue. Probably would've made a roster in the league if he had really wanted to play. Then John Navarre as the 4th guy, who became our all-time passing leader and plays for the Cardinals.

Clonamery said:
I'd agree with your assessment of Henson-Brady. Because when Michigan was losing it was always Brady in the 4th quarter not Henson......

Yup. I'm still bitter to this day about the MSU game in 99. If Tommy plays the entire game, we get to play for the national title.

Brady never lost composure. When we played Alabama, and fell behind by 14, twice, the second time after an incredible punt return by Freddie Milons, Tommy just gathered the offense and said "well, now we get to score 3 times to win it."

And he did.

Michigan Dave said:
Yeah, but athleticism doesn't make a huge difference in our system at Michigan in the QB position. Tommy was the perfect QB for our system, but just like today his biggest assets were his brain, his desire, and his leadership intangible. When I met him my freshman year for the first time, and saw the guy, I thought "this is our starting QB? the guy weighs as much as I do. Drew will beat him out right away." It took all of 10 minutes before I realized he was a special guy, and I would run into a wall if he said it would make us win. My sophomore year (his 5th year) he became a Michigan legend with comeback wins against ND, PSU, OSU, and the epic Orange Bowl v. Alabama. Tommy just wouldn't let us lose. Hell, he almost erased Drew's mistakes in leading us back at MSU, but we blew the onside kick and they ran the clock out.

Our QB depth that year was amazing. Brady and Henson are well known, but we had Jason Kapsner, who was another top recruit from 96 as the 3rd guy, and he could've started for any BigTen team except Purdue. Probably would've made a roster in the league if he had really wanted to play. Then John Navarre as the 4th guy, who became our all-time passing leader and plays for the Cardinals.

What do you think of the current Michigan QB? (Henne?)

Brownfan80 said:
What do you think of the current Michigan QB? (Henne?)

I'm a huge fan of Henne's. He's actually a lot quicker than most people give him credit for (his 4.6 was actually faster than the "mobile" QB of the state, Drew Stanton) and has a rocket for an arm. He has shown me good poise, especially being the first QB ever to start as a true freshman and win a B10 title (2004.) I think last year our offense was completely stagnant, and the change in going back to Mike DeBord as OC (who was OC when I was at UM) will be a great change for Henne. The passing tree will be opened up, and he can make the throws that a guy with his type of arm should be able to make. I'm sick of wasting him on WR Screens and 3 yard dump offs, especially since throwing screens isn't his strength. He's a great downfield passer, and has good accuracy. We have good receivers and a great running game that should be able to really let Henne excel this year. His numbers weren't great Saturday, 10-22, but 7 were flat out drops, and there was only 1 pass (a near pick 6) that I would've rather he not throw. The first TD he threw was a pass that he missed on often last year, so that was a positive.

In short, while I am the eternal optimist (Michigan 13-0, Pats 19-0 every year), I really think this Michigan team has the potential to be special, and Henne is a big part of that. The test will be on 9-16 at ND. If he can win that game, we'll get something going.

I think Henne will be a good pro, but I think our next QB, Ryan Mallett (a current HS senior at Texarkana,TX) will be an absolute stud.

Michigan Dave said:
1. Pierre had off-field issues at UM (that are NOT going to be discussed).
Dave, without discussing the specifics of the issues - have they been taken care of to your knowledge ? Is Woods now headed down the right path or is he a problem waiting to happen ?

BelichickFan said:
Dave, without discussing the specifics of the issues - have they been taken care of to your knowledge ? Is Woods now headed down the right path or is he a problem waiting to happen ?

I talked to Pierre briefly after the UM game last Saturday, and he seemed to be fine. His issues were more issues of maturity and needing to grow up. If LC had catered to him, and pampered him as a star, Pierre could've headed for trouble. I think having to deal with this adversity, and having to really bust his ass to earn a spot in the league was the best thing for him. He won't take anything for granted, and I can't see him regressing to do the things he did at Michigan that landed him in trouble. I've been wrong before, but I don't think he'll have any discipline problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes