PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Woodley visited by pees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lofa Tatupu was supposed to be a 4th rounder and many were scratching their heads when Seattle chose him with their 2nd round pick. He ended up being pretty good :}

All LBs are more effective if they can free lance while the other LBs, DTs and DEs are being given the contain and lane-control assignments.

Technically he is a DE. That was his position @ Mich. In the NFL, he could lbe used as a Hybrid (DE/OLB). Thats why I specifically pointed that out. He is a great pass rusher.

Last edited:
Woodley gets after the QB. That's always a good attribute to have. Even though he would be a conversion project, he still fits the Patriots mold. Wish he were a couple inches taller but otherwise a pretty good prospect.

i do too
but he is the same height as adalius thomas

I think he is GROSSLY underrated, and the combine/pro-day's hurt his "Public" stock a little.

I wouldn't be surprised if he wowed teams in the interview process though. Woodley could be one of those players that NE picks, and it leaves people scratching their heads (because of the late second round projections).

thats what im thinkin
kinda like logan mankins

I've read that Woodley played OLB in his sophomore and junior seasons when Michigan played with a 3-4 front, so how did he do back then?

Last edited:
He is also the career leader at Michigan in forced fumbles and has double-digit sacks. :D

He is also the career leader at Michigan in forced fumbles and has double-digit sacks. :D

Yea, he's second in team HISTORY with 25 sacks.
"In 49 games at Michigan, Woodley started 33 times. He recorded 177 tackles (129 solos) and ranks second in school history with 25 sacks for minus-228 yards and 50.5 stops for losses totaling 286 yards. He caused 10 fumbles, recovered four others, including one that he returned 54 yards for a touchdown and had five pass deflections."
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/woodley_lamarr

DJ Boyer:strength: "Play recognition"
"Technique: Sheds blockers on a consistent basis. Plays with a reckless abandon at times but plays smart when he needs to"
"One cannot argue his ability to separate himself from blockers and the instincts he uses to make plays. Takes good pursuit angles and has the footwork to move laterally down the line to make a stop"
"3-4 defense where he can play outside or even inside linebacker."

I also think his coverage skills would develop better once he gets into the pros. Michigan moved him around a lot. He came to college after playing ILB in HS, then his first year Michigan played him at DE, then they played him at OLB for two years, and then sent him back to DE his senior year.

Reall, I think he could develop into a force in the nfl.

I should also point out when you see scouting reports talk about him being undersized they mean at DE. He's not undersized for a LB.

Last edited:
That Michigan defense was absurdly loaded -- five day-one players in this draft alone, four of them possible round 1 guys (Branch, Hall, Harris, Woodley). So here's a question: who was making whom look better?

I think the Michigam defense started and ended with Branch. He was a force and in the OSU and USC games, when he got handled, the rest of the defense got exposed.
USC did a masterful job on Branch and it really showed the world just how good Kalhil their Center is.

That Michigan defense was absurdly loaded -- five day-one players in this draft alone, four of them possible round 1 guys (Branch, Hall, Harris, Woodley). So here's a question: who was making whom look better?

The only one who is underrated is Woodley. I think Branch, and Hall are a little overrated to be honest, and Harris is probably rated about right. The only one on the defense who was a consistant force his entire college career was Woodley. He was the team leader, and general on the field. LaMarr Called defensive meetings basically telling everyone they needed to commit better, then they turned it around in '06. I think Michigan knew how talented he was, which is partly why they moved him around so much.

isnt that what wilfork, warren, and seymour are for

I think Woodley could be a tremendous player, but if we're going to reach on for a Michigan linebacker in the first round, I'd rather it be Harris. Those ILB slots are much harder to fill.

That being said, if BB were to take Woodley in the first, I'd sleep OK. I'm no Wolverine fan (although married into a diehard Buckeye family, I root for them sometimes to cheese them off), but we could do worse than grab both Wolverine LBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes