PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Woodley: Pats, Bengals will lay down

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadMoFo

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I definitely think the Bengals will, and I'm about 50 percent sure that we will.

Woodley: Foes want Steelers sidelined

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Linebacker LaMarr Woodley predicts the New England Patriots and Cincinnati Bengals will "lay down" for their virtually meaningless games on Sunday because they don't want the Super Bowl champion Steelers in the playoffs.

The Steelers (8-7), losers of five of seven, would make it in if they beat Miami, the Patriots defeat Houston, and the Bengals beat the New York Jets.

There are other combinations in which Pittsburgh could sneak in, but it's unlikely the Steelers would make it unless New England wins.

The Patriots and Bengals have little to play for except which team will be seeded No. 3 in the AFC. With a wild-card playoff game awaiting each team next week, the Patriots and Bengals are expected to rest some starters to avoid possible injuries.

I definitely think the Bengals will, and I'm about 50 percent sure that we will.

That's someone who has serious insecurity issues.

Part of the "blame on anyone but us" group.

Maybe he's trying to use some reverse psychology on us. Yeah, right.

So if both the Pats and Bengals lose, there's no way the Steelers get into the postseason? Something to ponder. But I think it's more important to just win and keep things rolling. If you can't beat a Steelers team that is limping into the playoffs, you don't deserve to advance anyways.

So if both the Pats and Bengals lose, there's no way the Steelers get into the postseason? Something to ponder. But I think it's more important to just win and keep things rolling. If you can't beat a Steelers team that is limping into the playoffs, you don't deserve to advance anyways.

Even simpler: If just one of us loses and the Ravens win a game they should easily win, the Steelers are out.

For Pitt to get in given they beat MIA, we must win and the Jets lose, OR we must win and BAL lose (to OAK!!!), OR the Jets must lose, DEN lose in addition BAL losing to OAK. How unlikely is that, esp with BAL who just needs a W to get in the contest?

It's not like they went out and WON 11 GAMES and have to hope that just one team loses in a meaningfull contest to both sides. Self inflicted wound.

Last edited:
awww, the poor steelers!!! Maybe you girls shouldn't have lost to the Chiefs, Raiders, and Browns.

Woodley = Woodhead

Maybe they shouldn't have lost to the Chiefs, Raiders, or Browns. :)

God I am glad they won't make it in. Thier fans can all wear thier "Bernard Pollard Fan Club" t-shirts and NOT watch the Steeler playoff games. Enjoy karma, b!tches! :)

Last edited:

The real question becomes, "If the Pats lay down, which playoff path would the Bengals prefer?" If the Pats lose, the Bengals could take the #3 seed by winning, which would mean playing the #6 seed and then potentially going to San Diego, or taking the #4 seed, playing the JEST in the first round, and then potentially going to Indianapolis.

As far as the Squealers go, they lose the #5 seed if:
HOU win OR
JEST win OR
BAL win (over OAK)

They're out of the playoffs if:
MIA win OR
HOU win + JEST win OR DEN win OR BAL win OR
JEST win + BAL win

LOL, when was the last time the Steelers beat the Pats in the playoffs?

Why don't the steel heads offer us a 4th rounder if we beat the texans? That would make it interesting. Probably not legal though.

Main Entry: col·lu·sion
Pronunciation: \kə-ˈlü-zhən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin collusion-, collusio, from colludere
Date: 14th century

: secret agreement or cooperation especially for an illegal or deceitful purpose

I hope we rest some starters and STILL win. If we win, the Bengals have nothing to play for.

The Ravens will beat Oakland. The Broncos will beat the Chefs.

I think that if we lose, Cincy will try to win to get the #3 seed. The teams that will make the wild cards in this scenario Houston win and Bengals win would be Baltimore and Denver. Baltimore beat Denver head-to-head 30-7, so they would be the #5 seed.

#1 Indy
#2 San Diego
#3 Cincy
#4 New England
#5 Baltimore
#6 Denver

I would much rather win. If we win, then I agree that Cincy will tank it since there game becomes meaningless.

So in this scenario, NY Jets win, Baltimore win. The seeds would be:

#1 Indy
#2 San Diego
#3 New England
#4 Cincy
#5 NY Jets
#6 Baltimore

We get Baltimore either way for the first round.

I know that some folks prefer @Indy to @San Diego, but I would much rather be the #3 seed so that in the event we beat San Diego we have a better shot at home field in the AFC Championship.

I prefer this: Baltimore, @San Diego, Cincy/NY Jets

To this: Baltimore, @Indy, @San Diego/@Cincy

I think that you have to take your medicine and head out to San Diego and try for a tough road win. Winning in Houston would be good for our team that has struggled to win on the road.

There's a reason the Steelers are 8-7. They are mediocre who over-achieved last season.

And whether we win or lose, I don't see the Steelers getting into the playoffs.

Losing to the Chefs, Browns, and Raiders... they ought to be embarrassed to be seen in public let alone talk smack about what the Patriots or Bengals should be doing for them.

Cinci should allow the jets win. After all, that means that they will play the jets the following week.

Baltimore is the key. If they win, they're in. If not, we all start looking at all the other games.

LOL, when was the last time the Steelers beat the Pats in the playoffs?

1997 season, Steelers 7 Pats 6

What a shootout. I believe it was none other than Mike Vrabel who strip-sacked Bledsoe to end the game on what could have been a game winning final drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back