2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Can Woodley Play ILB?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
elaborate?

You know to be anything more than a 2 down ilb you have to be able to cover. Mincey couldn't even adjust from DE to Olb, I know woodley is probably a much better player, but as athletes they are probably the same, and I just don't think he's capable of being a 3 down ilb

You know to be anything more than a 2 down ilb you have to be able to cover. Mincey couldn't even adjust from DE to Olb, I know woodley is probably a much better player, but as athletes they are probably the same, and I just don't think he's capable of being a 3 down ilb

Woodley has already played LB in college, not just DE, so the transition is a little differen't especially between their differing styles. I wan't him more for his pass rushing, tackling, and run stopping ability. I also think he can drop back into coverage, and be effective. I think he has a little more athletic ability than Mincey. I think he has some of the same ability as Ted Johnson, but he is a better Pass rusher, is faster, and I think he could develop better coverage skills.

Last edited:
As I said combine speed is differen't than game speed, and Harris didn't play faster than Woodley last year, I watched the games.

Here is what they did at their Pro Day:
Lamarr Woodley DE: Woodley (265 pounds) was invited to the Combine but did not run in Indy. He ran two 40s in 4.74 and 4.84 seconds and the short shuttle in 4.42. Claiming to have a tight hamstring, he skipped the three-cone drill. He also had a 38½-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-9 broad jump and 29 bench presses.

So, with a tight hamstring (as he claims) he ran the 40 in 4.74, with a 38½-inch vert, had a 9'9" broad, and lifted 29 reps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Harris LB: All Harris (245 pounds) did besides the position drills was the broad jump (9 feet 2 inches).

So, Woodley can jump farther than Harris.....does that tell me he is the better prospect? No! The game film does.

I watch the games too. Harris plays as fast as any ILB in the country. Why do you want to prevent Woodley from doing what he was born to do, rush the passer? Woodley lacks athleticism in space and closing speed. That is why he is a talented 4-3 DE prospect, and not an ideal 3-4 OLB prospect. How then could you expect him to be effective in coverage as an ILB? If you look at Woodley's physique he is not a "bulked up" 270 lbs. He is a "slimmed down" 270 lbs, and reportedly lost 20 lbs last offseason to gain quickness. If you draft Lemar Woodley to make him an ILB, it will probably cost you a 1st rd pick (Woodley will not last long in rd 2) on a player who may not contribute for 2 years as he makes an awkward transition. You will be asking him to NOT do the thing he is best at and most suited to, rush the passer. He will have to relearn the game, because ILBs are trained not to read plays by looking into the backfield, as DEs and OLBs do, but by reading keys along the offensive line. He will have to process the action and angles from a whole new visual perspective. It would be unreasonable to expect him to make that transition effectively until at least midway through his 2nd year. So by 2009, we may have a lumbering 280 lb 2-down run stuffing ILB, whose premier talent should be rushing the passer. No thanks. I like Woodley, and hope he goes to a 4-3 team, and never has to undergo your Frankenstein experiment.

Like I said draft David Harris. Moving Woodley from a natural position does not make sense. Harris is a good LB.

I'm glad someone agrees that this don't make any sense

My bad on my earlier post, Here I have been looking at so many prospect that I have my guys mixed up. I actually like HARRIS for our ILB project, not Woodley. I like Woodley for more of a MCGinest type player, but not in the first.

sebman said:
I like Woods, but he is not as fast, and I can't see him playing ILB. he is strictly an OLB.

I totally agree with this. I just cant see him playing inside. he is a guy that I have looked at allot this off-season, and I REALLY like his game. I think he could be a very good player in BB scheme(s), but im not sure how well he would fair inside.

I totally agree with this. I just cant see him playing inside. he is a guy that I have looked at allot this off-season, and I REALLY like his game. I think he could be a very good player in BB scheme(s), but im not sure how well he would fair inside.
Agreed, if you wanted to test him inside it's still too early, let him develop as an OLB and get some more coverage experience first.

I can't see a conversion project as a legit 1st round pick. Heck I'd take a natural LT prospect over a convert to ILB prospect in the 1st round.

If you love Woodley you need to trade down to the second and draft him. Otherwise it is a big reach for a guy that won't contribute until 2nd year when he finally understands (assuming he gets it) his new position and the Pats complex scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes