PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Woodhead

Status
Not open for further replies.
An article in today's Herald mentioning the use of the screen play as a weapon that will be used more this year. I was thinking it will be deployed against Buffalo. Anyway, the writer mentions all the rb's ability to catch the ball, and I don't remember Woodhead's name mentioned.

Woody would do just fine with the screen play. Not a concern.

An article in today's Herald mentioning the use of the screen play as a weapon that will be used more this year. I was thinking it will be deployed against Buffalo. Anyway, the writer mentions all the rb's ability to catch the ball, and I don't remember Woodhead's name mentioned.

Deus Irae pointed out a real nice stat the other day which may have been from the article. It stated that the norm of the past as far as RB catches is usually between 55-80 on any given recent year, whereas last year they only had 34 total RB catches.

It would certainly be assumed that they would fall within the normal range of years past, thus giving us at least another 20-25+ plays, likely closer to 30-35 that are catches from the RB's.

We are hoping that Vereen will be a part of this, as he has come with much hype and offers some good skills in this aspect, but I would venture to wager that Woodhead will certainly be more of a part of this factor too.

I would respectfully disagree with robert weathers as far as his ability to successfully pick up the blitz, and I think we've seen plenty of times where he has been 100% blown off his attempted pickup, almost killing Brady. That said, he does seem to have adequate leverage and balance, which likely helps him at times. It's possible that the whole "Woodhead sucks vs the blitz" issue may have been somewhat overblown a bit, but I think he is one of our biggest liabilities in that regard. It will be interesting to see if he has improved upon that at all this season, and how he is specifically used in various scenarios.

Deus Irae pointed out a real nice stat the other day which may have been from the article. It stated that the norm of the past as far as RB catches is usually between 55-80 on any given recent year, whereas last year they only had 34 total RB catches.

It would certainly be assumed that they would fall within the normal range of years past, thus giving us at least another 20-25+ plays, likely closer to 30-35 that are catches from the RB's.

We are hoping that Vereen will be a part of this, as he has come with much hype and offers some good skills in this aspect, but I would venture to wager that Woodhead will certainly be more of a part of this factor too.

I would respectfully disagree with robert weathers as far as his ability to successfully pick up the blitz, and I think we've seen plenty of times where he has been 100% blown off his attempted pickup, almost killing Brady. That said, he does seem to have adequate leverage and balance, which likely helps him at times. It's possible that the whole "Woodhead sucks vs the blitz" issue may have been somewhat overblown a bit, but I think he is one of our biggest liabilities in that regard. It will be interesting to see if he has improved upon that at all this season, and how he is specifically used in various scenarios.

I agree. Woody is a tiny dude and can easily be shuttled to the side. He does play with good leverage and does a decent job most of the time. Hes certainly a notch or two below Faulk who was excellent.

Check out Dillon sometimes on blitz pickup. He was a force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back