PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wonderlic scores are out

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
PFW has released wonderlic scores:

NFL Draft - NFL draft preview and analysis from Pro Football Weekly

Some noteworthy scores (listing highest score for the player if multiple tests):

11 - Chris Baker, DT
11 - Hakeem Nicks, WR
11 - LeSean McCoy, RB
12 - Percy Harvin, WR
12 - Louis Delmas, S
12 - Joe Burnet, CB
13 - Knowshon Moreno, RB
14 - Darius Heyward-Bey, WR
15 - Rey Maualuga, ILB
15 - Michael Crabtree, WR
17 - Tyson Jackson, DE
17 - Andre Smith, OT
19 - William Moore, S
19 - Michael Oher, OT
20 - Brandon Pettigrew, TE
21 - Kenny Britt, WR
21 - Everette Brown, DE/OLB
21 - Ziggy Hood, DT/DE
21 - BJ Raji, DT
21 - Max Unger, OG/C
22 - William Beatty, OT
22 - Jason Smith, OT
22 - Chip Vaughn, S
22 - Alphonso Smith, CB
22 - Chris Wells, RB
23 - Patrick Chung, S
23 - Connor Barwin, DE/OLB
23 - Malcolm Jenkins, CB/S
24 - Darius Butler, CB
24 - Donald Brown, RB
24 - James Laurinaitis, ILB
25 - Jeremy Maclin, WR
25 - Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB
25 - Brian Orapko, DE/OLB
25 - Robert Ayers, DE/OLB
25 - Sean Smith, CB/S
26 - Eugene Monroe, OT
26 - Alex Mack, OG/C
26 - Pat White, QB/WR
26 - Aaron Curry, LB
26 - Brian Cushing, LB
27 - Clay Matthews, LB
27 - Josh Freeman, QB
28 - Mark Sanchez, QB
28 - Brian Robiskie, WR
29 - Jarron Gilbert, DE/DT
31 - Eric Wood, OG/C
33 - Vontae Davis, CB
34 - Larry English, DE/OLB
35 - James Casey, TE
35 - Matt Stafford, QB

I'm not sure what to make of these scores. James Casey is supposed to be smart, and he tested well, but so did Matt Stafford who isn't known to be particularly cerebral, and so did Vontae Davis, who is known for mental lapses. A lot of well known players tested poorly, including many known for savvy play on the field.

What are Maclin and Robiskie doing, trying to destroy the wide receiver stereotype?

And with the 23rd pick in the draft, the Patriots select ... James Casey, TE. :ugh:

I thought Wonderlic scores were supposed to be confidential, after the negative publicity that Vince Young received a couple years ago. If that is correct, given the timing of the release of these scores, I can't help but wonder what the motive is of whomever leaked this information. The teams already have all the info; the only opinions that are going to be changed are that of the fans and media.

Last edited:
...given the timing of the release of these scores, I can't help but wonder what the motive is of whomever leaked this information. The teams already have all the info; the only opinions that are going to be changed are that of the fans and media.

A score of 5 is all that's needed to know the motive.

I know most dont share my opinion but I'm still holding out hope for Michael Johnson, and a 27 certainly doesn't hurt him.

*Thinks to Self* THANK GOD HE BEAT BARWIN AT SOMETHING!!!! :banned:

I thought Wonderlic scores were supposed to be confidential, after the negative publicity that Vince Young received a couple years ago. If that is correct, given the timing of the release of these scores, I can't help but wonder what the motive is of whomever leaked this information. The teams already have all the info; the only opinions that are going to be changed are that of the fans and media.

I don't know the answer to that. I was surprised to see them posted on PFW. I thought of not posting them on this board, but decided that since the information was out it should be made available. I make no judgments about any of it, as I view the whole exercise as rather questionable.

I've taken a sample of the Wonderlic, and just like any other test it's artificial and highly trainable. Someone who is quite bright but didn't prepare for it might do poorly, and it favors people who handle written tests well.

Calling the Wonderlic a "test" is certainly euphemistic (if you know what that means, you'll probably score >45 on the test).

It seems to me to be more about life survival skills than intelligence (interpret that however you may).

Obviously we knew about Delmas before. He's supposed to have good instincts on the field, so he just might be one of those guys that football makes sense to even if he's not particularly sharp in other areas.

The one that surprised me is Unger scoring only a 21. I would think an Olineman that played Tackle, Guard, and Center during his career would have to be pretty bright. Maybe he's in a similar situation to what sources said about Delmas when his wonderlic score was leaked.

Moreno: slow 40, poor vertical, poor wonderlic...

The Wonderlic tests are the most pointless tests evaluating college players. These tests have nothing to do with football and do not determine whether or not a college player will be good in the NFL. The NFL should throw that s*** out.

What are Maclin and Robiskie doing, trying to destroy the wide receiver stereotype?

Robiskie is simply from Ohio St, they aren't going to have low wonderlic scores, as Tressel literally makes his players men, on and off the field. A great deal is placed on studies and academic performance there.

Look at Wells, Jenkins, Lauranitis and Robiske for proof.

Robiskie is simply from Ohio St, they aren't going to have low wonderlic scores, as Tressel literally makes his players men, on and off the field. A great deal is placed on studies and academic performance there.

Look at Wells, Jenkins, Lauranitis and Robiske for proof.

Yah, the academic zenith known as Ohio State:rofl:

Last edited:
PFW has released wonderlic scores:

NFL Draft - NFL draft preview and analysis from Pro Football Weekly

Some noteworthy scores (listing highest score for the player if multiple tests):

11 - Chris Baker, DT
11 - Hakeem Nicks, WR
11 - LeSean McCoy, RB
12 - Percy Harvin, WR
12 - Louis Delmas, S
12 - Joe Burnet, CB
13 - Knowshon Moreno, RB
14 - Darius Heyward-Bey, WR
15 - Rey Maualuga, ILB
15 - Michael Crabtree, WR
17 - Tyson Jackson, DE
17 - Andre Smith, OT
19 - William Moore, S
19 - Michael Oher, OT
20 - Brandon Pettigrew, TE
21 - Kenny Britt, WR
21 - Everette Brown, DE/OLB
21 - Ziggy Hood, DT/DE
21 - BJ Raji, DT
21 - Max Unger, OG/C
22 - William Beatty, OT
22 - Jason Smith, OT
22 - Chip Vaughn, S
22 - Alphonso Smith, CB
22 - Chris Wells, RB
23 - Patrick Chung, S
23 - Connor Barwin, DE/OLB
23 - Malcolm Jenkins, CB/S
24 - Darius Butler, CB
24 - Donald Brown, RB
24 - James Laurinaitis, ILB
25 - Jeremy Maclin, WR
25 - Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB
25 - Brian Orapko, DE/OLB
25 - Robert Ayers, DE/OLB
25 - Sean Smith, CB/S
26 - Eugene Monroe, OT
26 - Alex Mack, OG/C
26 - Pat White, QB/WR
26 - Aaron Curry, LB
26 - Brian Cushing, LB
27 - Clay Matthews, LB
27 - Josh Freeman, QB
28 - Mark Sanchez, QB
28 - Brian Robiskie, WR
29 - Jarron Gilbert, DE/DT
31 - Eric Wood, OG/C
33 - Vontae Davis, CB
34 - Larry English, DE/OLB
35 - James Casey, TE
35 - Matt Stafford, QB

I'm not sure what to make of these scores. James Casey is supposed to be smart, and he tested well, but so did Matt Stafford who isn't known to be particularly cerebral, and so did Vontae Davis, who is known for mental lapses. A lot of well known players tested poorly, including many known for savvy play on the field.

I have said it before but I will say it again, The Wonderlic has nothing to do with football. I can grab a kid off the streets of the Harvard campus who has never played football before and he can score in the 40's. I can take one of the best football players of all time, Marino who scored a 16. Who would you rather have the ball in their hands?

Yah, the academic zenith known as Ohio State:rofl:

First of all, I'm not speaking of it as a university in general, although it's certainly not a bad one...by any stretch. I'm not stupid, I realize that there are quite a few distinguished schools that are way better, particularly in the New England area.

I was speaking of the players that come from there, Jim Tressel, and his approach on taking academics quite seriously. Tressel does indeed put academics over football in general, and has suspended quite a few players for a game or 2 over the yrs, just for not doing well on particular tests, etc. He is a classy coach, who is humble, and runs a clean program. You cannot say that about all of the football powerhouses, who always finish in the top 10. Their football players graduation rates have increased dramatically since Tressel took over, aside from their plethora of 1st round NFL picks who come out early.

The 4 players listed on the wonderlic all have excellent test scores.

You must be an embattled Michigan fan, tired of getting your butt whipped every year, or you simply don't understand the point of the post.

Last edited:
Gotta admit. I was a little surprised by the score by Vontae Davis. I didn't expect anything over 15 from him.

Gotta admit. I was a little surprised by the score by Vontae Davis. I didn't expect anything over 15 from him.

I was surprised too about Davis, although he may be getting somewhat of an exaggerated bad rap because of his older brother too.

True. I don't think his agent did a get job at all deflecting some of the negative pub going his way.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back