PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wonderlic and Kevin Curtis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say our chances are slim, but I'd love to be wrong.

He should be had for something reasonable. He hasn't had an overwhelming amount of production. People will be spending for his skills and potential, not his production, which should slightly lower his price.

The St. Louis Rams official website reports despite a drop in production last season, WR Kevin Curtis will be one of the most sought-after receivers on the market in an offseason considered lean at the position. The Rams would like to bring Curtis back But there figures to be will be more than one team interested in Curtis. WR Shaun McDonald’s role was reduced even more in 2006 as he caught just 13 passes for 136 yards with one touchdown. McDonald did work as the team’s punt returner and had a bit more success in that role than in the past. McDonald likely won’t return, either, though it’s not out of the possibility that he could. Like Curtis, McDonald wouldn’t mind a return to his West coast roots. Should Curtis and McDonald depart in free agency; the Rams have WR Dane Looker under contract. Looker worked exclusively on special teams in 2006, but is still a solid receiving option. He could get the opportunity he has waited for if Curtis and McDonald depart.

He's going to cost quite a bit of money. And he wants back out west. Believe me, once you've been out west, you don't want to come back to the East Coast.

I'd say our chances are slim, but I'd love to be wrong.

In the NFL, you want to be on the East Coast. West Coast teams get ignored in the NFL because of the time differences. If Curtis wants chances at national TV and print spots (assuming he shines once he gets out of the shadow of Holt and Bruce), he wants to go to the East Coast.

He said he wouldn't mind returning west, but that doesn't preclude him from coming east. The Seahawks won't want him. He won't want to go to the Raiders. So that leaves the Chargers and 49ers. One might bid on him, but maybe not.

Last edited:
You forgot his crisp route running and freak strength and leaping ability. I have been touting Curtis for a while. I think he has the potential to Branch and more in our offense. I hope we sign him fast.

and his ability to take a hit. I was at the Rams-KC game this year and he caught a meaninglss pass at the end of the game and was going out of bounds when he got absolutely drilled by the DB. (Think of the hit put on poor Moorman by Taylor in the Pro Bowl and ratchet it up a few levels). He got up and walked off the field which I doubt too many other guys would have done. You could hear the impact of the hit up in the nosebleed seats.......

Last edited:
Cousins,
Mr. McSully insists that Branch is much better than Curtis. He has been in the limelirte more, that's true. No where have I ever seen Branch named as a crisp route runner. In fact, wasn't one of his issue rounding off patterens? I could be wrong.

Curtis is featured as a superior route runner. He was not a starter for the last two years and he still caught 100 balls and 10 TD's.

Yes, Branch was the Super Bowl MVP and could get open but did not have more than one season starting all 16 games out of five years. He missed many games. He was a good receiver, not great.

My point? Would we have to spend 29 Million to get Curtis? Is Branch three or four time the receiver Curtis is?

Mr. M, Branch is no where near the WR in Seattle he was here. In fact he is not #1 might not even be #2 there this year.

Curtis is only one answer. He should be more reasonable than Stallworth and less physical ills, and he could break-out in 2007 (if Caldwell catches 60 from TB, what would a better receiver do?). Now with Chad hurt (he won't be back in 2007 for sure), it needs to be adressed with another one or two. I could see Curtis and Gafney starting and Caldwell a number 3 guy if Brown retires. I say we draft not one but two WR (Hill and Rice perhaps).

Now the question: Would you Cousins trade our two first rounders say to Romeo for the rights to get Calvin Johnson? The man will be a stud for years to come.
DW TOYS

Cousins,
Now the question: Would you Cousins trade our two first rounders say to Romeo for the rights to get Calvin Johnson? The man will be a stud for years to come.
DW TOYS

Not even a thought for me. Other than the fact stated here before, that I cant abide taking WR's before rd 3, There is no way I trade up like that in the draft (if the numbers are equal for trading value), for anyone but a DE.

Cousins,
RIP DJ!

Shocker of the day. Found this in a draft site with a pretty good proposal.See below!
Thoughts?
DW TOYS

Approved Trades:
RAMS GET:
PATRIOTS 1ST ROUNDER AND THE PATS 3RD

PATRIOTS GET:
TERRY HOLT

Drew Bennett is a deep threat.

Drew Bennett's average yards per catch: 16.0 last year, 14.6 career
Kevin Curtis' average yards per catch: 12.0 last year, 12.6 career

Plus, Bennett is 6'5". I'd take him over Curtis any day.

Last edited:
Isn't Bennett kind of slow and lumbering? He's like a 4.6 or 4.7 dude. Nice possession guy, but not a field stretcher. Who do you propose that would be in our presnt WR line up including say a Bennett?
He's an x-QB.
DW TOYS

Curtis wants to play with Martz again, and is considered a lock to go to Detroit.

Granted, anyone choosing Detroit over the Pats should be investigated, because someone definitely took the Wonderlic for them.

Isn't Bennett kind of slow and lumbering? He's like a 4.6 or 4.7 dude. Nice possession guy, but not a field stretcher. Who do you propose that would be in our presnt WR line up including say a Bennett?
He's an x-QB.
DW TOYS
If the guy is slow and lumbering, how did he average 16 yards per catch?

As for the lineup, I think a starting duo of Bennett and Gaffney would be pretty damn good. I'd really like to Reche Caldwell out of the lineup, that guy is UNRELIABLE.

Cousins,
Mr. McSully insists that Branch is much better than Curtis. He has been in the limelirte more, that's true. No where have I ever seen Branch named as a crisp route runner. In fact, wasn't one of his issue rounding off patterens? I could be wrong.

Its mr sullivan :) And branch's stats prove that he is much better than curtis.. Look at the stats I have provided..

Logic states that Branch @ 5'9 should run good routes. he isn't physically going to fight off someone for the ball so his strength is playing in open space (ie running a good route). I can't judge if he runs crisp or perfect routes compared to someone else (very few can) but by knowing what I saw on the field, my conclusion is he runs solid routes..

Thats funny, I always thought the SAT was all about thinking on your feet under pressure and not being able to have your parents do your homework for you or ass kiss your way into an A.

Life is all about tests, everything is a test. The Super Bowl is test, one that Brady has aced 3 times.

Who took their SAT's on their feet :p .. Actually schools tend now not to weigh everything per your SAT scores..

Yes Life's about tests.. but not written ones.. Brady didn't sit down at a desk and answer multiple choice answers :) Brady's tests came when he noticed a blitz and changed the protection and patterns of his receivers. Thats the only test, as a fan, I care if brady passes or fails..

The Wonderlic is basically an IQ test. Some might refer to it as SAT's for football players.. It really holds no weight in football. Watson had a great score and Vince Young received something like an 8.

Reminds me of the kids that I went to highschool with getting 1200-1500 on SAT's.. Funny now when I run into them and feel bad for them.. Life isn't about tests.. Its about thinking on your feet and there is no test in the world that can judge that.. this is why someone like tom brady gets picked int eh 6th round. And Eli Manning flops..

u knockin ppl who got above a 1200 on their sats over there

Last edited:
Cousins,
RIP DJ!

Shocker of the day. Found this in a draft site with a pretty good proposal.See below!
Thoughts?
DW TOYS

Approved Trades:
RAMS GET:

PATRIOTS GET:
TERRY HOLT

in a heartbeat

The fact that Drew Bennett is 6-5 is why I don't want him. The Pats' system seems to better suited to smaller faster guys. Tall, slower guys tend to not fit into our system very well. I don't think Bennett can start in our system because I don't think he can run a lot of the routes the Pats like to run.

Cousins,
RIP DJ!

Thoughts?
DW TOYS

Approved Trades:
RAMS GET:

PATRIOTS GET:
TERRY HOLT

Who the f is Terry Holt, Torry's cousin?? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
u knockin ppl who got above a 1200 on their sats over there

Sure did.. Its a weak way to judge a persons intelligence.. I also said schools are tending to lean towards looking at the entire body of work. Years before SATS were make or break for a lot of people.

I work with guys who have their CCNP or MCSE and they are great test takers. But when it comes crunch time, those issues are referred to my guys that can work on the fly.. Stats and Certifications only get u so far in my book.. From what I've seen, the Wonderlic probably isn't worth its weight in paper.. As someone pointed out, V Young got an 8 and looks to be a franchise QB..

really? i remember hearing that the highest score was held by some punter who came out of harvard...lol damn you espn

well usually when you're the #1 guy, you're running fly routes, moreso than the #3 guy, who's running under routes, #1 goes streaks, to draw off coverage, and the #3 guy would go under

its easier to get 16.0 ypc if you're on streaks, instead of running under routes

the only time you'd see a #3 go streak is if he's matched up, in a 3-4/4-3 defense...when he has a LB covering, thats what we call a mismatch and the qb would identify, audible and throw it deep

oh and one last thing, bennett is nearing retirement in a few years...he's going to slow down, year after year, day after day....i'll take a YOUNG curtis over an old bennett

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey