Welcome to PatsFans.com

Wonder if this loser will take personal responsibility?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

When Deval Patrick came under fire for renting a $46K, it took only a couple days before he announced that he would pay half the cost (and also pay for several others things, such as the cost of redecorating his office). While of course Patrick did nothing wrong, here's a far more serious case:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/25/national/main2511510.shtml

Smithsonian Secretary Lawrence M. Small is living a lifestyle more like a corporate CEO than the steward of a charity funded by donors and taxpayer dollars, according to an independent audit and an Inspector General's report obtained by CBS News.

While Smithsonian museums suffer leaky roofs and wait for funding for repairs and restorations, the reports find possibly "lavish and extravagant" expenditures by and for Secretary Small.

The disclosure comes after a recent GAO report indicated that the institution's facilities would require $255 million a year for the next 9 years (or $2.3 billion in total) for repairs and maintenance.

Among the questionable expenses cited:

* Small's salary was increased from $356,000 in 2000 to $819,000 in 2005 without any apparent justification or benchmarks;

* In 2005 Small received up to $179,322 in additional compensation for housing costs, including a subsidy based on a fixed 30-year mortgage rate to occupy the house he already owns;

* Small is allowed premium first class travel (which is usually disallowed and/or deemed inappropriate for charities);

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Patrick did nothing "illegal" but what he did was wrong in the budgetary climate that will require huge cuts in all departments and the possibility of increased taxes, either directly or as fees. How can you say that's not wrong?

The Smithsonian case...
    I know of a local museum curator who is brilliant and always said his career goal would be running the Smithsonian for FREE! This "Small" man should be deported to Florida or something.
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

It's my impression that every single governor sets up his new home as he sees fit. It's a perk in an important job that doesn't pay nearly as well as the private sector.
  4. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And he's a liberal so you'll give him a free pass no matter what he does... meanwhile, the morons in Massachusetts who thought DeVille Patrick would be a new type of politician, are learning it's politics-as-usual from the man with $12,000 drapes...
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

That's right, but my point about it being a perk is still valid.

Well, at least he apologized and is paying for them himself. That's better than a lot of politicians.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 1 / -9

Send "Worms" To Governors Office, State House, Boston Mass.

Please donate your worms to the Governor, they are badly needed.
    God Bless You.
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

That may be true, but his thought process has been revealed pretty clearly in his first 6 weeks. This guy is a carpet-bagging elitist jerk. How he got nominated over Gabrielli is beyond me. It'll never cease to amaze me how Mass. voters keep going for these carpet-baggers. Amazing! (I voted for Mihos because I thought he really wanted to be the governor and not leave at the first White House appointment)
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

No. He's a "good government" type. You know the MassPirg group? He reminds me of a grownup version of one of them. I think he'll take on the Democratic establishment that controls the state government. Romney, Celucci, and Weld all tried to and lost. Patrick's victory is in part the result of the Democratic desire to clean up Democratic politics in this state. It remains to be seen whether he'll be co-opted, defeated, or win that battle. Whoever made fodder of his little spending extravaganza threw the first shot. I wonder if it was a Democrat?

I would have supported Mihos if not for Patrick, whose views I like very much. Mihos' website listed all sorts of ideas and a lot of them were very creative. I think Mihos would have been a breath of fresh air after someone like Romney. (I like Deval, but he's almost as plastic as Romney.)
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 1 / -9

Political Correctness got him the job, it might do the same thing for the next president.
  10. patriotspride

patriotspride Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Patrick is a idiot .what a total lack of judgment combined with complete arrogants .we are so lucky to have him as gov:rolleyes: :rolleyes: not.
  11. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah... sure... he "apologized".... basically he was like "I'm sorry you people are making such a big deal about these perks I have assigned myself".... talk about sincere... :rolleyes:
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +196 / 7 / -23

Meanwhile the Director of the Smithsonian gets a free ride on our dime...
  13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

no kiddin' huh?

btw Patters, I think we can say for certain that this loser will be able to shirk his responsibility. The Repubs here will see that all government waste threads become Deval threads.
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +318 / 4 / -2

You're a fraud partisan. PERIOD. Leaders should do so by example. For this joker to lease himself a Caddy, hire a $72,000 aid for his wife, and then fly around in state choppers twice in a month and a half tells me all I need to know. He's a hack. He could send the Caddy back for all I care, it's too late. Actions speak louder than words. If he was worried about the pay, then he should have stayed in the private sector. Romney, the carpet bagger that he is, refused a salary as governor. Peanuts to him, but still an example.

As for this clown running the Smithsonian...

[​IMG]

These frauds really irk me. This guy should be canned tomorrow. Who decides his fate? I remember when I was 23, or 24, they had a report about the dude who runs the Salvation Army making a million dollar salary. Sorry, but somethings just don't jive with what people are supposed to be selling.

My bad, it was the Red Cross, and it was $657,000 bucks. The Salvation Army dude only takes home $13k. LEADING BY EXAMPLE.

"...One charity has stayed above all this for 137 years. The Salvation Army is unique among all U.S. charities for many reasons. Let’s start at the top. Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary just $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 Billion dollar organization. By comparison, Brian Gallagher, President of the United Way receives a $375,000 base salary (plus numerous expensive benefits) and the Red Cross President Marsha Evans receives $450,000 (the article was written in 2002 a wapping 50% increase in 1 year??) plus benefits..."

Red Cross' Top Person: Marsha Evans
    Top Salary:* $651,957 (FY ending 06/30/03)

http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chr...wn_651957_salary_bush_strafes_new_orleans.htm