Welcome to PatsFans.com

Women Across the Board Dropping Jobs

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

We are a sexist society. I don't think it's any surprise that after 25 years of Republican family values that women have been marginalized and objectified in a way reminiscent of the 1950s. The fact that they are declining as a percent of the workforce underscores the economic consequences of discrimination.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting/story?id=5424072&page=1

The number of women in the workplace has been declining for several years and experts had theorized that more women were deciding to forego careers and be stay-at-home moms.
    Study indicates shift in economy has led to more women staying home.

But a Congressional study released today found that women aren't "opting out" of the workforce to raise children. For the first time in nearly a half-century, they are being forced onto the sideline by bad economic times.

While there have been slight dips in the number of working women in the past five decades, those numbers have always bounced back even stronger than before. But since 2000, the percentage of women finding jobs has remained below that 75 percent peak. As of June 2008, it stood at 73 percent.

That may seem like a small number, but those 2 percentage points represent about 4 million women who are not employed.

2. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +515 / 49 / -7

#75 Jersey

So the Republicans are sexist! I seem to remember the Democrat President inserting his cigar into his female intern, that might qualify as some sort of sexaual harrasment.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2004-12-09-diverse-usat_x.htm

Bush is opening doors with a diverse Cabinet
    By Susan Page, USA TODAY
    WASHINGTON — With little fanfare and not much credit, President Bush has appointed a more diverse set of top advisers than any president in history.

Bush has named his White House lawyer, Alberto Gonzales, right, to be the first Hispanic to hold one of the powerful "big four" Cabinet jobs.
    By Lawrence Jackson, AP

In his first term, Bush matched the record that President Clinton set in his first term for appointing women and people of color to the Cabinet, and Bush had a more diverse inner circle at the White House. Since his re-election last month, the president has made a series of groundbreaking nominations. (Related item: Four Cabinet secretaries to stay)

Bush has named his White House lawyer, Alberto Gonzales, to be the first Hispanic to hold one of the powerful "big four" Cabinet jobs, attorney general.

He named his national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice, to be the first female African-American secretary of State, the Cabinet's senior position.

He also nominated Margaret Spellings, his domestic policy adviser, to lead the Education Department and Cuban-born business executive Carlos Gutierrez to head Commerce.

The economy is hurting because of high gas prices, which are caused by the lack of US production, which is the direct result of the years of inaction, and obstruction to drilling by the Democrats.

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 10 / -14

My wife found it more rewarding to raise and care for our children. Why presume that what makes G Steinem or a gay person happy will make the 'normal' woman happy?

How elitist.

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +740 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

As usual, your causal relationship are either wrong or simply assumed. Women have lost jobs - so have men. Sometimes they can't get another job of the same pay. Same with men. While women may want to work, they are still more likely to also want to stay home than men are. If a spouse or a single mother has to start over she is more likely to say "no thanks" than a man is. Your logic is crazy. Just because a woman loses her job doesn't mean she's forced out of the workplace.

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +995 / 2 / -9

Stay At Home Moms:
    Best thing that could happen to the kids.

6. ljuneau

ljuneau Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My wife decided several years ago that it was more valuable to stay at home and raise our children. She was not "forced" out of employment.

This statement is really silly:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

Same for my brothers wife, my cousins, and one of my best friends.

8. Patters

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

To the extent that conservative family values have permeated all of our society, women have lost clout. The women's movement was not nearly as successful as the gay rights movement in fighting conservative family values. As far as Clinton goes, he was personally wrong, just as quite a large number of prominent Republicans have been wrong since then. If these were less sexist times, Clinton might not have gotten elected, and might have suffered the same fate as Gary Hart. Once elected though, no one on the left could stomach being bedfellows with in the perverse impeachment campaign.

9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +740 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

I don't buy that. If a woman goes to college, works instead of getting married, continues to work instead of staying home with the kids, no-one blinks an eye and the vast majority have no issue with it whatsoever. Gay rights ? Yeah, gays have their rights but the majority have a serious issue with people being gay they just know they're stuck with it. Now how did you turn women's rights into gay rights ?

:rolleyes:

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

It was your own democratic party that used sexism against Hillary Clinton.

So if I'm reading you right here Patters (I do believe sexism exists, hands down), the problem with family values is that it promotes to women that they should stay home and raise their children, as opposed to telling them that they should send their children to day care, and go get paid? I'm asking here.

11. Patters

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

I agree with you. But, according to the article women are being forced out of jobs at a higher rate than men. I think that's key.

While it's very nice that some women choose not to work, the article specifically says, "But a Congressional study released today found that women aren't 'opting out' of the workforce to raise children. For the first time in nearly a half-century, they are being forced onto the sideline by bad economic times."

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +740 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Patters gets so wrapped around his needs to placate to his party he gets confused sometimes. A lot of women have simply realized that working isn't all it's cracked up to be - and that motherhood can be underrated - if they can just keep going as is they often would but if she and her husband both got laid off it would be him that's more likely to re-train or take a lower paying job.

13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 10 / -14

Gee dems run congressional committee are trying to create bad economic news during an election year even though unemployment is low, shocking... I'm sure no spin is involved.

BTW PAtters IMO raising a child is in many ways requires more skill than running a corp. The shame is that industrialized societies don't recognize this...

14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +740 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

I don't believe the article says that. I read it as saying that when women lose their job and need to retrain or take a lower paying job that they are less likely to do so than men are.

15. Patters

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

It takes a village ... :)

16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Women give birth to children. They are not the same as gay men. They have rights in this society today that men - gay or straight - will never know. The sixties are gone. Women have power and priveledges in this society that were undreamt of in 1969. A woman without children can achieve anything they want. If she choses to have children, then she accepts some things that her and her husband agree on.

My best friend is a stay-at-home dad. His job blows. He's not very good at it and he struggles against nature every day. His wife has decided to keep making 250 G's a year at her job and he quit his 80 G's a year job. Good move on their part but he is about to lose his mind.

My wife is a full-blown raging feminist. She's way smahtah than me. She's more resilient. She can do anything better than me except what I do for a living. She manages all of our finances and raises our children. I would rather die than be without her. Most people in town refer to me as ******'s husband. When I die, my tombstone will read "Here lies *******'s husband". She tried to keep working after my first was born but that didn't last long. She's a much better mother than I could ever pretend to be. I'm a better father than she is, but I bet she could do the job if I croaked.

Women kick arse.

17. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,815 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Well the last paragraph is the real story behind the story:

These women made a choice to work as opposed to going to college. We are still losing manufacturing jobs to Mexico and overseas. This has nothing to do with "sexism" ... Patters was just enamored with the use of that word to see that sexism has nothing to do with the real story.

By the way ... how many of these women started working during the Clinton administration ... you know the President that was in love with NAFTA ... yeah ... him ... the sexist himself.

18. Patters

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

That's not how I understood the article. It says women are being forced out of the workforce. I have nothing against stay-at-home moms. In fact, I'm all for women or men staying at home because it's great for the kids. but, the fact that women are being forced out at a higher rate than are men is a different matter, and suggests some kind of discrimination.

I absolutely don't deny that the Democrats are guilty of this sort of sexism too, but it's not the Democrats who won this part of the culture war. Many of your posts objectify women as you well know. The fact that that is tolerated (and believe me I have struggled with this issue) is a reflection of these times. Women are objects again, much like they were in the 1950s. Democrats have been weak on this issue, but I do think the male-centered so-called "traditional" family values of conservatives is the principal reason that women have lost power.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +740 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

It didn't say that. It said they aren't re-entering the workforce. Maybe they're wising up and realizing work is . . . work . . . not some party that they're missing out on.

20. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,970 / 14 / -22

#61 Jersey

:rofl: I tell you, nothing is worse than a woman in the workplace with supervisory authority. If that sounds sexist, so be it. (I've heard the same thing from many women.)