Welcome to PatsFans.com

Woman dies in ER lobby as 911 refuses to help

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Jun 13, 2007.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19207050/?GT1=10056

Woman dies in ER lobby as 911 refuses to help

Updated: 2 hours, 17 minutes ago
    LOS ANGELES - A woman who lay bleeding on the emergency room floor of a troubled inner-city hospital died after 911 dispatchers refused to contact paramedics or an ambulance to take her to another facility, newly released tapes of the emergency calls reveal.

Edith Isabel Rodriguez, 43, died of a perforated bowel on May 9 at Martin Luther King Jr.-Harbor Hospital. Her death was ruled accidental by the Los Angeles County coroner’s office.

Relatives said Rodriguez was bleeding from the mouth and writhing in pain for 45 minutes while she was at a hospital waiting area. Experts have said she could have survived had she been treated early enough.

County and state authorities are now investigating Rodriguez’s death. Relatives reported she died as police were wheeling her out of the hospital after the officers they had asked to help Rodriguez arrested her instead on a parole violation. Sheriff’s Department spokesman Duane Allen said Wednesday that the investigation is ongoing.
  2. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

So how is this 911's fault? Yeah, they could have been more helpful, but do they have the authority to determine what hospital to send someone? It sounds like the problem was the hospital.
  3. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

The healthcare system is messed up.
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

It's kind of an incomplete story, it doesn't say whether the ER was full, etc, and some of the "boyfriend"'s words can't be taken literally since he evidently doesn't speak English and called his girlfriend his wife.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I agree completely. The woman was already in an ER, how is 911 to blame?

Excerpt:

“I’m in the emergency room. My wife is dying and the nurses don’t want to help her out,” Rodriguez’s boyfriend, Jose Prado, is heard saying in Spanish through an interpreter on the tapes.

“What’s wrong with her?” a female dispatcher asked.

“She’s vomiting blood,” Prado said.

“OK, and why aren’t they helping her?” the dispatcher asked.

“They’re watching her there and they’re not doing anything. They’re just watching her,” Prado said.

The dispatcher told Prado to contact a doctor and then said paramedics wouldn’t pick her up because she was already in a hospital. She later told him to contact county police officers at a security desk.

A second 911 call was placed eight minutes later by a bystander who requested that an ambulance be sent to take Rodriguez to another hospital for care.

“She’s definitely sick and there’s a guy that’s ignoring her,” the woman told a male dispatcher.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Agreed, I think the headline is out of whack to what the real story of this is. That is the hospitals' piss-poor care of the woman.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Federal inspectors last week said emergency room patients were in “immediate jeopardy” of harm or death, and King-Harbor was given 23 days to shape up or risk losing federal funding.

I'm curious as to how much, or what kind of federal funding they receive. I feel bad that someone lost their life here, and wonder if it had to be that way. The care obviously was lackluster considering the woman was bleeding from the mouth, and was ignored, but it's no secret that illegals flood ER's in this country for obvious reasons, which seriously dilutes the quality of care for legal citizens. My question is, whether or not that was a factor here, and if so, would that even be reported?
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

As I said, I'm suspicious of the whole thing. Hint . . . learn English.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

What's wierd is the story printed the man's words in english, although it says he spoke them in spanish, but had some interpretor. I'd like to hear the audio.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

That's why I'm suspicious of the "and the nurses don’t want to help her out" part. I don't know if the nurses couldn't communicate with him or if "and the nurses don’t want to help her out" was not translated correctly but I have a feeling this isn't exactly how it happened.

Hint again . . . learn English.
  11. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +85 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

This is a direct result of illegal immigration. They used ERs as doctors offices (except it is free for them) and hence, the hospitals are overcrowded, have no money, and must prioritize. Who knows what other lives were being saved in that ER at that time.

You might not think that this is your problem, but it could quickly become yours, if you or someone you love is hurt and have to go to an ER that is overcrowded with illegals.

BTW the Spanish word for "wife" is "esposa", their are many different words for girlfriend (Novia is one), yet they have not come up with the Spanish equivalent of "Baby Daddy". A funny side note on the Spanish language, the word for "handcuffs" is "las esposas" coincidence? I THINK NOT!!!!
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Oh bull, it's all the nasty white people's fault for not providing enough money for health care :rolleyes:

This ties into what I've been saying, I'm OK with emergency care for anyone, legal or not, but short of actual emergencies, get the hell out of the hospital unless you can pay for it. We have no birthright to free health care for every little thing. I have a bad lower back - I don't want to pay for a chiropracter or other such care so I deal with it.
  13. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Florida is currently learning what California learned last decade... health care clinics are closing left and right, along with the occassional hospital. If you're in Florida and looking for pre-natal care, good luck with that. Maybe the doctor will see you in 6 months or so...

Illegal immigration is destroying this country. The massive drawbacks ridiculously heavily outweigh the slight benefits. Period, end of story.
  14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

The Muslim Terrorists have planted a serum in the water supply that Paramedics & other 911 people drink it causes them to go nuts, yesterday they had a video (Fox News) of a Paramedic ambulance driver punching the sh!t out of his patient, after he beat the patient up he killed himself.

This is America caused by Bush Hatred & Liberalism--------> :bricks:
  15. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Somebody else said but I'm gonna say it again, anyway.
    This story is incomplete. It seems someone or someones is/are hiding something.
    There are no comments from that hospital's administrators?
    I would think they would want to defend themselves.
    And what's with the headline? 911 wouldn't help!?
    So much corruption.
    BF, RW and Quigon I also wonder if this person was a legal resident.
    Maybe that's why there is so many holes in this story.
  16. 363839

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Esposa. Sounds like it may have been derived from spouse. No?
  17. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Small thing to pick on, but esposa is derived from spouse? How do you know spouse wasn't derived from esposa?
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Fox News Will Report Than You Can Decide

Fox will get to the bottom of it.

If the Lefty Media isn't saying much something is going on.

If White English Speaking Christians had anything to do with it CBS and CNN would be Hysterical over it.
  19. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I cant stand the ER especially if its something for my kids. They dont seem to have any pediatricians on staff in the ER where I live.

There definately seems to be more to this story and I'll withhold judgement until I see more.
  20. 363839

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Pujo, you love to pick on me, don't you. It's ok.
    Latin. Common language to all European languages.
    I shouldn't have implied that it came from english so you're right about that.
    But it did come from the same source that english derived it's words. Latin.