Welcome to PatsFans.com

Wolffe: Opposition To Obama Speech Possibly Based On Skin Color

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +824 / 7 / -2

The more the media plays the race card, the more they will turn off independents. With crap like this you reach a point of diminishing, or negative returns. Personally I think we're there or beyond that. Maybe the president shouldn't have scheduled his speech on the night an NBC held GOP debate was already scheduled. That "purely coincidence" line was about as believable as the war paying for itself. Oops, I just IRAAAQ'd myself. :D

Wolffe: Opposition To Obama Speech Possibly Based On Skin Color

"The interesting question is: What is it about this president that has stripped away the veneer of respect that normally accompanies the Office of the President? Why do Republicans think this president is unpresidential and should dare to request this kind of thing? It strikes me that it could be the economic times, it could be that he won so big in 2008 or it could be, let's face it, the color of his skin. This is an extraordinary reaction to a normal sequence of events," MSNBC contributor Richard Wolffe said on "The Last Word."

Wolffe: Opposition To Obama Speech Possibly Based On Skin Color | RealClearPolitics

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

The Left Wing Democrat Media Along With "The Obama Groupies" THEY ARE THE TRUE RACISTS In Our Society Today

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 9 / -13

Well they can't point to his successful policies or where the country is headed, they oly have the race card to play, lie the attacks on the Tea Party by the CBC members this week.

The schedule of the President's speech was another example of their incompetence, trying to be too cute by half they wanted to schedule the speech next Wed the same day a pub debate no one would watch was scheduled. Problem was that the Congress wasn't scheduled to reconvene til 6:30 that day no time to pass the resolutions inviting the President over to speak before congress and do the necessary security work. so Barry will speak the next day the opening of the NFL season.

Wonder if he will preempt or delay the game for his teleprompter speech? Packers/Saints or same old rehash from Obama? Easy choice.

4. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I've got to disagree. I watched that exchange. Wolffe went thru a number of possibilities on why the Republicans were disrespecting Obama. The last reason was due to race. He did not play the race card. So now, you have members posting about Wolffe playing the race card, when in fact, that is not what took place.

5. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +860 / 6 / -9

You're aware all presidents use teleprompters, right? I'm sort of at a loss as to why you think this is some sort of clever dig.

Regardless, the speech is at 8 pm, the game starts at 8:30. Don't worry, though, if you miss it; I'm sure you can get your marching orders from Hot Air, Powerline, RedState, et al., just like on every other topic.

I agree with Wolffe that the lack of respect this president receives from the opposition is notable. I don't think it's due to skin color, though, as they did the same thing to Bill Clinton. This is simply how Republicans act when they're in the minority.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think the league will work with NBC to make sure the two do not overlap. Probably push the opening touchback, uh I mean kickoff, back 20-30 minutes. But I bet anything the execs at NBC are pissed they are going to have to show another boring, useless speech (which everyone knows won't result in any job creation) instead of a pregame show with all the commercials contained therein. I guess they're experiencing a different sort of tingle. :rofl:

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 18 / -17

It would be a clever strategy by bigots to find the rare individual who emphasizes the race issues and gives it prominence. It's sort like some liberals do when they take the rare blatantly racist tea party activist and suggest that that person is a standard bearer for all tea party members. Pretty clever strategy, especially given scouts report that in fact it appears to be the op who is playing the race card by misrepresenting what Wolffe said (or perhaps the op didn't do due diligence).

8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +358 / 9 / -13

I am aware that they don't read the wrong speech and not realize it, if there is an error like Obama did with the Irish President IIRC, he get totally lost if there is a problem with his precious...

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +477 / 18 / -17

I never heard of Wolffe. If we can use him as the standard bearer for pro-Obama people, maybe we should use this video as a standard bearer for tea party members?

TEA PARTY RACISM: What The Media Won't Show You About Teabagger Racism - YouTube

Actually, my suspicion is that this was clever politics by the Obama people. They proposed a date knowing that Boehner would change it to the following day. Now, I'm sure they will not pre-empt the NFL game, but they will schedule the speech so that it attracts a large number of independent white men (the typical NFL audience, I strongly suspect), thanks to Boehner.

10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, sure thing Patters. When the President is in front of Congress addressing the nation while we all just want the game to start, the average American is immediately going to think of how it's all John Boehner's fault. :rolleyes:

Too bad he can take all his brilliant geniousness and apply it to actually, you know, fixing the economy. :bricks:

The date change was nothing more than a pissing contest between Boehner and Obama, and Obama blinked pretty darn fast. :rofl:

11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +358 / 9 / -13

I don't know who he is either Patters. I didn't present him as a spokesperson for anyone. However he seems to have been on MSNBC which is very supportive of Obama.

However I could direct you to the comments from Rep Waters and Rep Carson and their comments on the Tea Party this week, they speak for the CBC, note no one in the administration or congressional leadership have repudiated their remarks about Tea Party 'members' wanting to see black people hanging from Trees (Rep Carson) clearly the race card is the avenue to be used this year by the dems trying to motivate their base.

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +477 / 18 / -17

It's a win-win for Obama:
    - He gets an audience he wants. (Obviously, many people won't pay attention, but a lot will.)
    - The Republicans in Congress will either have to disrespect him or be polite, which will help legitimize what he has to say.
    - If anyone complains (and some certainly will), the pundits are almost certain to report that Obama wanted it a day earlier but Boehner wanted it on the eighth.
    - He'll be able to respond to Republican talking points presented in their debate.
    - And Obama's speech will take place before the game, so it won't conflict at all.

I think the Obama people must be pretty giddy with the way they played Boehner, but enjoy your sour grapes. :rofl:

13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, as I pointed out in an earlier post, the speech won't overlap with the game. But if you think the average American (who doesn't know or care one bit what MSNBC pundits have to say) is going to blame Boehner instead of Obama, then you really need to wake up and smell the coffee.

I guess blaming other people for Obama's failure after failure after failure is what you're used to doing, so I am not surprised to see more of the same from you after Boehner pwned the crackhead on this issue. :rofl: :rofl:

14. Patters

Ratings:
    +477 / 18 / -17

PF, I'm sure you'll agree that in a nation of millions there are all sorts of voices, and both parties are going to try to emphasize the voices that serve their cause. Personally, I do believe the right wing has consistently played the race card against Obama--questioning his religion, his birth place, his nationality, even claiming he's not really black (that he's half black, when we all know to be black all you need it to have black or brown skin)--but the left has to be careful in playing the race card (even legitimately so) because many forms of racism are considered acceptable by many whites (e.g., the right of businesses to discriminate, non-PC humor, institutionalized bias in the form of nepotism and cronyism, etc.).

15. Patters

Ratings:
    +477 / 18 / -17

We'll find out, I guess, depending what time we turn on N B C.

16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +358 / 9 / -13

Congresspersons should not intentionally foment racial hatred, he soulnd like David Duke with his speech.

17. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +348 / 7 / -4

So you say when it's a Dem, but I doubt you've ever expressed that opinion w/regard to either King (Steve or Peter).

18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +358 / 9 / -13

What statement of their's have you brought to our attention?

What times did they promote racial hatred like Rep Carson has?

19. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +348 / 7 / -4

are you only aware of what's posted here?

Unlike you, I don't start threads about everything I read that happens to be about somebody I dislike.

Here's 13's start.... If it's a pubbie, they're not promoting racial hatred -- if a pubbie says it and is called on it, it's "playing the race card."

So I take it you're confirming my doubt? A simply yes or no will suffice.

20. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,767 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

In today's era of torrential drenching media coverage I see no reason to even watch the speech. I am sure there will be a million links and a million theories on it which I can read while I watch the game. I think as some have said that this whole deal is to make sure he gets some tv coverage hits to spare the embarassment that perhaps few really care to watch it at all.

On another note has Obama made any great speeches since becoming POTUS that makes the public eager to see this one. His speeches before he was elected were epic ... that was then and this is now