Not open for further replies.

PatsWickedPissah

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
From AVS forum...
The following is a news release from NBC 10:

WJAR NBC 10 Offers to air the NE Patriots vs. NY Giants Game On December 29th

Cranston, RI, December 24th, 2007 – WJAR NBC 10 offers to air the December 29th Patriots’ game to make it available to all Rhode Island fans. The game between the New York Giants and the New England Patriots is scheduled to air on the NFL network. As currently scheduled, Boston and New Hampshire will be the only New England areas to see the game on free, over-the-air television. Rhode Islanders and other fans across New England will only be able to view the game if they are paid subscribers to the NFL Network.

NBC 10 believes that the Providence DMA, with coverage in RI and Southeastern MA, meets the definition of a home team television station. Traditionally, the NFL has considered stations within 75 miles of the team’s stadium to be home team TV stations; NBC10 is 33 miles from Foxboro. Lisa Churchville, President and General Manager of NBC 10 sent a letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell offering to clear the station’s Saturday prime time schedule in order to air the New England Patriot’s and New York Giants final regular season game. The December 29th game has the potential to culminate in Patriot’s having the first undefeated regular season in the NFL since 1972.

“Please consider making this final game available on free, over-the-air television across New England to ensure that the region’s Patriots’ fans will be able to watch this historic game. We know that fans in our state would appreciate the NFL allowing them to enjoy the same access as fans in Boston,” said Lisa Churchville, President and General Manager of NBC 10.

About NBC 10

WJAR-TV/DT is the most watched television station in the Providence-New Bedford television market and NBC 10 News is Southern New England’s leading news station. WJAR was first launched as a radio station in 1922 and then became the market’s first television station in 1949. WJAR-TV/DT is owned by Media General, Inc.

If this has been reported elsewhere, Mods please merge or delete

Last edited:
Re: WJAR Channel 10 Providence Adds Pats-Giants Game

Great news - and this is a no brainer to me - in case people forgot they are the NEW ENGLAND Patriots, not the Boston Patriots. Local stations in NH, VT, CT & ME should all follow and try to do likewise.

Note: it said that the station is offering to carry the game, not that it will carry the game.

I dare say every station in the country would be willing to offer to carry the game.

This doesn't mean the game will be carried.

Please change your title, they have only OFFERED to carry it, they aren't actually carrying it.

Please change your title, they have only OFFERED to carry it, they aren't actually carrying it.

I'll do so just as soon as the capability is added to the forum!

I'll do so just as soon as the capability is added to the forum!
If you "edit" your original post and click on "Go Advanced", you can change the thread's title.

Note: it said that the station is offering to carry the game, not that it will carry the game.

I dare say every station in the country would be willing to offer to carry the game.

This doesn't mean the game will be carried.

What would be the local advertising impact be ? Would WJAR be able to sell the local commercial airtime? I would think this is a sticking point and the NFLN will squawk. The OP is right, every station in the country would be willing to air the game especially if they can derive revenue from it.

NBC and CBS just announced they will both air the game. :)

WJAR "offers to air"?

Like its their decision? Or once the NFLN gave this to the network they are doing us a favor by "offering to air" a nationally televised game?

Talk about a purposefully misleading and self-serving press release... are they saying they could have aired it all along but "chose" not to? Or does this by chance have anything to do with NFLN making it available to all.

Let's hope someone rubs this in WJAR's face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back