PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Witten

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Although Dalllas and Indy are completely different offenses I expect to see a peak at how the Pats will defend Dallas Clark.

Witten is a great TE, not as fast as Clark but bigger and has just as good hands and runs terrific routes.

I expect the Patriots to use AD (even if he is banged up) to cover Witten in the short zone before he is handed off to Harrison. In some cases Harrison may lineup right over the TE and play Witten 1:1, other times he will blitz from the same formation.

Anyway just one of the match ups I will be watching.

iam worried a bit about our defense against tight ends. We didnt do too well against gates and clark in the past. Maybe it was a personnel issue but it could just be the scheme we play- may its conducive for tight ends .

Although Dalllas and Indy are completely different offenses I expect to see a peak at how the Pats will defend Dallas Clark.

Witten is a great TE, not as fast as Clark but bigger and has just as good hands and runs terrific routes.

I expect the Patriots to use AD (even if he is banged up) to cover Witten in the short zone before he is handed off to Harrison. In some cases Harrison may lineup right over the TE and play Witten 1:1, other times he will blitz from the same formation.

I can only hope they line Harrison up one on one with Witten.

I can only hope they line Harrison up one on one with Witten.

I don't think it will happen much but it can't be worse than watching Antrell Hawkins stagger around the field cursing at Clark.

Anyway isn't Clark due for his annual injury? ankle, leg, knee what will it be this year?

iam worried a bit about our defense against tight ends. We didnt do too well against gates and clark in the past. Maybe it was a personnel issue but it could just be the scheme we play- may its conducive for tight ends .

I lean towards the scheme. For a defense that prefers to keep the play in front of them and make the tackles, the TE can be a problem because their size and power is more apt to gain YAC. Depending on the offensive WR set, it wouldn't surprise me to see Witten doubled. They also better keep a close eye on him when Romo escapes the pocket. Witten is one of his favorite targets then and a smart back can jump the route.

I don't think it will happen much but it can't be worse than watching Antrell Hawkins stagger around the field cursing at Clark.

Anyway isn't Clark due for his annual injury? ankle, leg, knee what will it be this year?

He was spared last week. Indy Star had 32 still frame photos of the big hit. Played next series though.

BTW, how's Maroney? :eek:

Last edited:
He was spared last week. Indy Star had 32 still frame photos of the big hit. Played next series though.

Same as usual, dangerous from a far, but far from dangerous.

Seems to me that Witten is Romo's first, and only choice when he breaks out of the pocket. Witten is dangerous. I think his role is well known, and I think Adlius is more than adequate to contain him. Witten destroyed the Bills, but I don't expect to see that same effect Sunday.

We need to take him out of the game....early.

I also see Romo getting sacked 5 times at least in this game.

From what I've see of both Witten and Clark, they are pretty similar. IMO Witten would be even better if he had Manning passing to him instead of Romo.

I'm disappointed in Maroney at this point, but pleasantly surprised with Morris so far. At the beginning of the season I had hopes for a 1200 yard, 10 TD season from Maroney, but I'll be happy if he can just stay on the field and carry his load in a 1-2 punch with Sammy Morris gaining around 600-700 yards for the season.

I'm disappointed in Maroney at this point, but pleasantly surprised with Morris so far. At the beginning of the season I had hopes for a 1200 yard, 10 TD season from Maroney, but I'll be happy if he can just stay on the field and carry his load in a 1-2 punch with Sammy Morris gaining around 600-700 yards for the season.
i don't know why bb doesn't just make sammy the #1. he is a strong, hard runner. might want to get l.m. in there for some trade bait later, but seriously, seems like morris and faulk can do it

i don't know why bb doesn't just make sammy the #1. he is a strong, hard runner. might want to get l.m. in there for some trade bait later, but seriously, seems like morris and faulk can do it
They can. And so can Maroney. That's the benefit of having more than one #1 RB. If a guy gets dinged, you don't struggle without him, or be forced into playing him hurt.

The goal is January. Keep that in mind and you will understand better.

Maroney is a good back when healthy.

if he wanted Morris to start,it would've happened because BB knew what he was getting with Sammy. Thats why he liked him so much. 100 yards..BB expected that when he brought him here.

Maroney is more of a playmaker and a better player. Sammy was brought in to get carries..hes getting them when Maroney is here and thats that. BB obviously thinks very highly of Laurence and theres many reasons to.

We're sure to see crossing routes with either Witten or TO trying to "rub" off their respective shadows! Middle of the field should be interesting tomorrow!

Marcellus Rivers talked to the Globe about playing Witten on the scout team. Interesting to see if he gets a black jersey next week.

So here's a guy who was just re-signed (due to Thomas' injury), looked pretty decent in preseason and wants to make a name for himself on the team. Good scout play is one of the best ways to do it. Here's hoping he did and gave them a good look at Witten.

Let's hope he used his down time last week (when he was cut -- wink wink nudge nudge) to watch film on Witten. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what BB told him to do.

Last edited:
If Maroney gets on the field and stays healthy for the remainder of the year, I think Belichick's philosophy will be to use the 2-back system for most of the season, similar to last year. By the end of the year Maroney will probably be seeing 70-80% of the carries. The more I watch Morris, the more I actually like this guy. He runs hard and straight on, unlike Maroney's shake-n-bake movement in the backfield.

What's the status on Addai for you guys?

If Maroney gets on the field and stays healthy for the remainder of the year, I think Belichick's philosophy will be to use the 2-back system for most of the season, similar to last year. By the end of the year Maroney will probably be seeing 70-80% of the carries. The more I watch Morris, the more I actually like this guy. He runs hard and straight on, unlike Maroney's shake-n-bake movement in the backfield.

What's the status on Addai for you guys?
we're going to sit everyone til the 4th:D

Addai will be ready to go in JAX. The concussed guys are the only ones in question. (Utecht and Keiaho)

Maybe these two do well because they are good players that having 1 guy cover just doesn't work no matter who that guy is. The Patriots may specifically try to take Witten and TO away by doubling them up and make Romo have to throw to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back