PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Without a veteran leader on D# this team is going to struggle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree 100%. I would add one additional condition. This D will let us down big time when it counts against a Manning, Brees, Farve and etc...

We don't face Brees this year...fortunately

Favre,Manning and Rodgers are the QBs I expect to put up 30-40 points on this defense...those games could be ugly...If any of these QBs does not have big success I would venture it would be Manning since Belichick has seen this bastard every freaking year for the past decade and knows how he operates more so than Favre and Rodgers.

We don't face Brees this year...fortunately

Favre,Manning and Rodgers are the QBs I expect to put up 30-40 points on this defense...those games could be ugly...If any of these QBs does not have big success I would venture it would be Manning since Belichick has seen this bastard every freaking year for the past decade and knows how he operates more so than Favre and Rodgers.

I'm going to the Vikings game with my girlfriend (Vikings fan). I really don't want to see us get torched :mad:

My point exactly. Which begs the question... why did he get away from what has been so succsessful?

Nobody is expecting the kids to step in a be the kind of leaders that we had in years gone by... but where are the veteran guys with "football smarts" to keep these young punks :)D) in line and working as a unit?

Was BB counting on AD to bridge the gap and just wiffed?

I dunno.. but going into this season, this defense looks nothing like any other since Belichick has been here. I wish I could feel like this change is for the better. I just don't see it.

wiffed is also a factor. iam sure when they got vrabel from the steelers or rodney to replace milloy we didnt think it would work that well but they turned out to be great. Some of the other moves on defense have hardly stuck AD,burgess ,to a certain extent colvin too ..so he hasnt be able to find those vet guys to play his role.Plus now there are so mnay more teams with similar schemes that its become diluted to find the same DE's who play LB's.
One big diff is this yr our DL has to be the weakest in a while from what we have seen so far which is very rare for our team even during bad defensive yrs.
All the people are worried about our secondary, iam more worried about stopping the run somethig which hasnt been tested as much in the preseason.

Wilfork to me is not much of a leader but Seymour was even less IMO,Where did you read that Seymour was a great influence in the locker room?

The leaders on defense during the glory years were known to be Rodney Harrison,Tedy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel...the rest including McGinest and Seymour were great individual talents but not exactly the type of player a rookie can hang around and be taught.

There is a big difference between being a top talent on a team and a veteran and being a top talent and a veteran that takes players under thier wings...Bruschi and Harrison were those guys.

Where are you getting that Seymour wasn't a "leader" type? Guys in the locker room as recently as last season talked about the leadership qualities that Seymour brought to the locker room.

Wilfork to me is not much of a leader but Seymour was even less IMO,Where did you read that Seymour was a great influence in the locker room?

The leaders on defense during the glory years were known to be Rodney Harrison,Tedy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel...the rest including McGinest and Seymour were great individual talents but not exactly the type of player a rookie can hang around and be taught.
There is a big difference between being a top talent on a team and a veteran and being a top talent and a veteran that takes players under thier wings...Bruschi and Harrison were those guys.

I disagree with you on McGinnest. I've heard Brady speak about how great a leader Willie was and how he was top dog in the locker room. Rodney and Brady spoke about Willie's work ethic and how he'd be 1st guy in the complex working out in the morning.

That is what leadership is. Being the last guy there at night studying film and being the 1st person there in the morning working out. Setting the example.

Where are you getting that Seymour wasn't a "leader" type? Guys in the locker room as recently as last season talked about the leadership qualities that Seymour brought to the locker room.

Including TFB.

Im really blown away by the people who question what Sey brought to the locker-room. He was one of the few guys who spoke out for his teammates when he felt it was called for, and put them in-line when he thought that was called for.

Sometimes I wonder if im following the same team as others. :bricks:

Wilfork is a great leader. I just wish he'd command the double team more often.

i could go to war with George Washington, and Abraham Lincoln, but if i don't have the man power i will loose 9 times out of 10

some talk about bruschi, Harrison, and Seymour, like they were just a voice they were all pro and maybe even HOF type players, Junior Seau, is a great leader but did he's leadership help the pats pass rush NO with this team needs is talent up front not just a leader they got some good coachs for that.

Some might think I'm crazy, but I actually see Spikes stepping in and blossoming into a leader by the end of his rookie year (sooner rather than later, I hope). I watched the kid play here at UF and he's an amazing guy to watch on the sideline and in the huddle. He's always in someone's face (not in a confrontational way). He's always pumping his arms and showing great emotion.

However, I also have to say that his emotions get the best of him at times (see eye-gouging). If he can learn to control it at the pro level, he'll do wonders for a defense that seemingly lacking leadership and star quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back