Welcome to PatsFans.com

With US support, SKorea cuts trade with North

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, May 24, 2010.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

as we all are fully aware, North Korea threatened WAR if something like this happened...

I'd like to keep this thread TOPICAL...so lets attempt to not drift from the subject here.

With US support, SKorea cuts trade with North - Yahoo! News

SEOUL, South Korea – South Korea's president slashed trade to impoverished North Korea and pledged to haul Pyongyang before the U.N. Security Council, vowing Monday to make Pyongyang "pay a price" for a torpedo attack that killed 46 sailors.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +482 / 1 / -9

There will be War, I think.
  3. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It all depends on China. If they continue to back NK, NK will feel free to escalate to whatever level they want. If China says "stfu and be quiet" it will be so.

So, what will China do is the real question. My guess is that Hillary got her answer or she would never have let it get to this.
  4. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I heard on NPR this morning that the new SK government had already essentially eliminated trade with NK, so this is a pretty empty gesture. There's essentially no trade to "slash", and NK is propped up economically by China. I am interested to see what happens next, though.
  5. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

China fears a flood of refugees in the event of war so it is their interests to ratchet things down a bit. Who knows how they (NK) will react? Coupled with other events and financial house of cards in Europe and elsewhere, it almost looks like 1914 with one false move threatening to unleash a chain of hellish results....
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  6. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +420 / 6 / -7

Pretty much exactly what I said in the other thread on this topic.

The best course of action, in my opinion, is for us to exert pressure on China to come down on North Korea, while understanding that China has no more interest in seeing a regional conflagration than we do.

But if you ask Wolfpack, you'll be led to understand that this is the ***** way out, and that nothing short of lobbing a few cruise missiles can stand!
  7. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I don't think China wants to go to war.
  8. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Only real step they can do at this time.

Next step will be UN action against them.
  9. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If they back NK they lose out on western money, trade, and assets while getting that influx of refugees. They don't want that to happen, they would in effect almost cripple themselves economically. It is in their interest to avoid having to back NK in any way that will counteract their own needs.

There is no need for this crap Jack. Save the flaming for when he actually posts in the thread.
  10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nice to see I've gotten so into your head that you feel the need to explain my position to others on my behalf. But if you're going to speak for me, please do so accurately. You asked me what I would do, and I responded by saying I would lob a few cruise missiles. But there is nothing in my statement that says I would find that the only satisfactory outcome.

I am, however, not surprised that you have once again displayed your poor reading comprehension and the inability to understand what other people are saying.

Nevertheless, and I can't believe I am going to say this, I agree with what Apple Strudel wrote just a few posts up. There is really nothing else to be done as far as trade sanctions or whatever. This is really just an empty gesture. We may as well just ban them from next month's World Cup while we're at it.
  11. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +776 / 5 / -15

#87 Jersey

It's been a long time since we dropped a nuke.

We're way overdue.
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

When has China ever wanted to go to war? Never in their history has China shown itself to be into such adventurism. They have their own "wars" going on inside their own borders. Too much on their plate as they enter the 20th century.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Read this tid-bit doday on Yahoo news...

NKorea severs all ties with rival SKorea - Yahoo! News

North Korea struck back by declaring it would cut all ties with the South until President Lee Myung-bak leaves office in early 2013. South Korean ships and airliners will be banned from passing through its territory and the North will start "all-out counterattacks" against the South's psychological warfare, the North's Committee for the Peaceful Reunification said in a statement carried by KCNA.

The Peaceful Reunification Committee said it would counter-attack with psychological warfare....

I reapeat...The Peaceful Reunification Committee said that.
  14. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

There's no fighting in the war room!
  15. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +420 / 6 / -7

Indeed.

This thread is effectively a continuation of the prior thread. If the moderators were paying attention, they would have merged the two.
  16. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

This is getting more interesting: NK has severed ties with SK and ordered it's troops to be combat-ready. SK has joined the US in military excercises, and Hillary says discussions with China have been very frank, detailed and ongoing. North Korea Severs Ties With South on Ship Sinking Accusation - Bloomberg.com

Obviously the news is affecting the markets as well. Hopefully it's all just posturing :)
  17. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +420 / 6 / -7

Nice to see you equivocating already. My position was that military engagement is effectively not an option unless circumstances change drastically. For making that claim, I was repeatedly derided by you, as you likened me to Neville Chamberlain, claimed I wanted to ***** out, roll over, and do nothing, etc.

Furthermore, I asked you repeatedly in the prior iteration of this thread to stop mischaracterizing my arguments and resorting to straw men, and you refused. So spare me this "please do so accurately" nonsense as until you accord your fellow posters the same level of respect, you ought not to expect similar treatment in return.

Irony, thy name is Wolfpack. Sure, you spent the entire last thread insulting me for advocating diplomacy, but now apparently you are inferring you'd find it to me a "satisfactory outcome."

So much for consistency.
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
  18. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

To quote(ish) Black Bush (aka Dave Chappelle):

UN if you don't like it, you should sanction me, sanction me with your army.
    Oh, you don't have an army? Well maybe you should shut the *heck* up! Shut. The. *Heck*. Up!

As has been said, North Korea will depend solely on China.
  19. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Don't get mad at me for pointing out you desire to be a *****, Mr. Chamberlain.

Hitler would have loved you!
  20. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0