PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With the Last Pick in the 2007 Draft,The Patriots Select

Status
Not open for further replies.

italia44

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Daryl Stingley.....This makes Mr Stingley's family eligible to be feted to an all-expenses paid trip to this years Mr Irrelevant ceremony.

Every NFL team has agreed to donate $50,000 to help
with the celebration of Daryl's life.

Daryl Stingley.....This makes Mr Stingley's family eligible to be feted to an all-expenses paid trip to this years Mr Irrelevant ceremony.

Other then the sad passing of Darryl, I'm completely out of context for your post. :confused:

The deceased aren't eligible to be drafted. Are you talking about a Daryl Jr?

I guess he means it as a symbolic gesture in tribute? But having the late Mr. Stingley declared "Mr. Irrelevant" seems a misstep, to say the least.

Huh? To make things even more confusing, don't the Dolts get Mr. Irrelevant?

I suspect he wants the Pats to trade for Mr. Irrelevant draft position..

BTW... the Patriots have already set the precedent. The former idiot-savants of the Patriots Front Office spent a third rounder on a guy who died in a car accident the week before the draft.

The NFL accepted their deceased draft selection.

So why can't they draft the deceased Daryl Stingley?

BTW... the Patriots have already set the precedent. The former idiot-savants of the Patriots Front Office spent a third rounder on a guy who died in a car accident the week before the draft.

Is this true? I'd love to hear that story.

I just meant it as a "fable"..........a tribute,if you will

Wouldn't it be great if each year the last pick in the Draft would be a former player who had triumphed over adversity?

The title Mr Irrelevant could be changed,couldn't it?
It's not like it's something written in stone.

Wouldn't it be great if each year the last pick in the Draft would be a former player who had triumphed over adversity?

Ah! A triumph of fantasy over cold, hard business hearts. I think the timing would be off kilter coming as a death tribute rather then some form of support for a newly paralyzed player needing significant financial, medical, and emotional support.

Vince Wilfork uses a draft party as a fundraiser for diabetes research in memory of his father, perhaps something similar can be done for the spinal cord research charity the Stingley family designated for donations. If Darryl isn't already in the Patriots' Hall of Fame, perhaps an appeal to Mr. Kraft to induct him and organize the display as a place where people may make modest donations in his memory. Perhaps displays can be set up near those lovely corporate luxury boxes to catch the eye of some deeper pockets.

I'm sure other ideas can be developed...the primary difficulty I find with taking over the Mr. Irrelevant celebration is complexity, not to mention horning in on someone else's idea for a party.

Mr. Irrelevant isn't an NFL function, is it? Doesn't some guy in LA pay for it? It's his idea of a party.

He would probably just get offended at the trick being played on him and wouldn't do it this year.

Anyway, the whole idea is dumb, sort of like having someone's beloved deceased grandmother declared a Playboy Bunny finalist so the family can get a trip to Chicago.

The family would be about as happy having their grandmother called a Playboy Bunny and Stingley's family would like having him called MR. Irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes