PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With the assumption of Thomas at OLB now how do you think he fares...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanBruschi54

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
...and how do you think the ILB position responds after his departure?

Moving Thomas back to his old OLB spot will surely involve him in more QB pressures and blitz packages but what becomes of ILB?

His play at the inside was undeniable, he covered well (westbrook), he sheds blocks well and he can tackle well (only if at times he seems to stumble).

Our OLB position can seemingly stay the same and apply the same type of pressure and force. Vrabel is having an all-pro season and Thomas has just as much versatility and strength as Colvin did.

But who rotates in with Seau and Bruschi? Is it EA? or is it Pierre Woods?

First reaction leads you to believe that EA is the better fit since hes had more snaps on the inside then Woods. On the other hand Woods is bigger and stronger and fits the size of an ILB that belichick covers. A 6'5'' 240+ lb player that has the ability to play well.

Your thoughts?

I don't expect to see Thomas at OLB as much as others seem to do.

Any time we see Woods out there, I expect him to be outside with Thomas inside. I guess I'm expecting Woods, Bruschi and Seau all to get a little more time, remembering also that we only have three LB a decent amount of the time as we're in the nickel quite a lot anyway.

Basically it'll be much like when Thomas missed time due to his ankle but with Thomas at OLB instead of Colvin - unless Oswlek is correct then all hell breaks loose with intrigue :)

I don't expect to see Thomas at OLB as much as others seem to do.
Are you expecting some kind of rotation of Woods and Chad Brown at Colvin's spot ?

From where I sit, I think that Pierre Woods has to step up and make a significant contribution. We always here about how the Pats who don't start are ready to play when called upon, and for the most part this is true.
I think its a big mistake to pull AD from ILB to OLB. Doing so will tax Teddy and Junior, who up to this point in the season, are relatively healthy. But, these guys are in their mid to late 30's now and if one of them goes down for any length of time, we are in trouble. The inside rotation of AD, Teddy and Junior has kept all three fresh and fairly free of injury. The continuity as a result, has been very good for the D. By scewing with it and moving AD outside, the chain gets alot weaker.
Pierre Woods has to step up. I don't even mention Chad Brown because he's nothing more than a body at this point in his craeer, albeit one who is familiar with our defensive sceme.
Respects,

Rich

Dear god lets hope Chad Brown isn the solution.
LOL, I don't think he is. The advantage we have this year is the WOLB spot is easier than the SOLB spot so we shouldn't have the massive move we had last year when Colvin had to move to the strong side because TBC couldn't.

I'm mixed on what I expect. Given that Belichick likes Vets I expect AD in Colvin's spot with Bru and Seau playing more. However, I wouldn't be shocked to see Woods get more time at OLB especially in whatever easy second halves we have left.

He played quite a bit of OLB against the Bills. He was all over Loserman as we saw.

BB wants to put his best players on the field. I think that AD has to be better than either Alexander or Woods, so AD moves to WSLB. That means that any rotation at ILB is Alexander and at OLB is Woods (who is strictly an OLB, BTW). The alternative is to use 3 LBs and use Jarvis Green as a 4th DL. I would guess what we see will depend to some extent on the opponent.

LOL, I don't think he is. The advantage we have this year is the WOLB spot is easier than the SOLB spot so we shouldn't have the massive move we had last year when Colvin had to move to the strong side because TBC couldn't.

I'm mixed on what I expect. Given that Belichick likes Vets I expect AD in Colvin's spot with Bru and Seau playing more. However, I wouldn't be shocked to see Woods get more time at OLB especially in whatever easy second halves we have left.

Dean Pees said:
In other matters, Pees did not specify how the Patriots will plan to replace starting OLB Rosevelt Colvin, who was lost with a season-ending foot injury Tuesday. Pees noted that the team goes "game to game" and "you're always going to see multiple defenses from us, week in and week out."

Nothing from Pees or Adailius that i can find.

Also no one has discussed having just three LB's, a 4-3 type switch every so often.

Are you expecting some kind of rotation of Woods and Chad Brown at Colvin's spot ?

Yes. I can fully see Thomas-Seau-Tedy-Vrabel lineup to start and on key drives.

But I can't see the team leaning heavily on Bruschi and Seau (with Alexander and Brown the other options) inside. Thomas will still play a good amount inside, IMHO.

On passing downs I wouldn't be shocked to have Vrabel-Thomas-Woods(or Brown). Woods or Brown should, at a minimum, be able to play the weak side on passing downs where they mostly have to just rush the passer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes