PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With the 4th overall selection in the 2008 NFL draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see what that has to do with this discussion.

But with that said, our 2007 draft was a very good one.

REALLY!!??

Other than picking up decent center, what was so good about it.

You drafted a kick returner with the 12th overall pick.

Don't be delusional.

this is old news.... this was discussed last week.

I don't see a rb getting drafted.

Glad you feel this way. Now go post in a thread you care about since none of us care what you think about this one :cool:

There's no way in hell the Pats use this pick. Kraft has said multiple times in the past that high first round picks are not economical.

Quote me on this. The Pats WILL NOT draft in the Top 10 of the 2008 NFL Draft.

The last time we had a top ten pick we used it.

big game next week rams against 49ers . we might be looking at a 3rd...to trade down !

HUGE draft imlications here. And with the Rams coming off a 37 point game, and the Niners scoring ZIP, Id expect the Rams will find a way to win that one. And youll be right. We'll be sitting in the 3 hole. Unbelievable. Now, if only the Jets and Dolphins could find a way to win a couple of games.

Its good to be flexible and have options. And the higher the pick, the better the options.

Big game this week, 49er's at home against the Rams. A 49er win puts them up there with a number of three win teams while a loss equal the Rams win total. The Jets play the Dolphins later in the year and with another win will pass the 49er's. That pick could conceivably turn into the number two pick in the draft. Too bad at this point there isn't two great collegians that teams are drooling over (Manning and Leaf). I don't even think that there is one player above all others. It should be fun to watch the collateral damage in regards to the rest of the league and then the joy of reading all the trade rumors and the actual draft day coverage. Do you think those Jet fans will be loud when our team's name is called?

HUGE draft imlications here. And with the Rams coming off a 37 point game, and the Niners scoring ZIP, Id expect the Rams will find a way to win that one. And youll be right. We'll be sitting in the 3 hole. Unbelievable. Now, if only the Jets and Dolphins could find a way to win a couple of games.

Its good to be flexible and have options. And the higher the pick, the better the options.

I think the jets will win some games coming down the stretch. They suck , but they have been in a lot of these games they lost down to the wire. Hopefully they win 2 more games.

The phins are a lost cause.

Trade out of the sf pick for the cowboys first round pick from the browns, there 2009 first rounder and Bobby Carpenter or Marion Barber.

We could then use our second rounder to trade up with the browns pick if we want to , or stay put in the high teens. We could use the second to trade with since we have that high third rounder from the raidors that should only be a few spots behind our second anyway.

Can we trade Asante after the season is over? Or he he a fa the second after the sb? I know we agreed not to tag him again , but do we still own his rights?

Last edited:
The problem with RBs is that even the superstars are one leg injury away from being just another guy. Look at Ki-Jana Carter, Robert Edwards... the list stretches on. Even though he's all kinds of exciting, I get the feeling Adrian Peterson is going to suffer a nasty tear or something (worse than the current one) and regress mightily within the next year or two, as well, just from looking at the way he runs.

The difference between a great RB, a good RB, and an average one aren't all that great. Would having LDT (great) over Corey Dillon (good) in 2004 made that much of a difference? How about Dillon over Antowain Smith in 2001 and 2003?

While it is fair to question the selection of a player with a position longevity of 3-4 years with a high pick, calling Dillon's 2004 season "good" is disingenuous to say the least.

And, yes, having Dillon in 2001 and 2003 would have made a big difference. Obviously not with the final result, but certainly the way they got there. Ad Dillon to he 2002 team and they probably win 11 games.

REALLY!!??

Other than picking up decent center, what was so good about it.

You drafted a kick returner with the 12th overall pick.

Don't be delusional.

9th.

Guys , I dont think Mcfadden would be the smart choice unless we drafted him then pulled a San D and traded him for a ****load of picks or some great players.

The rb position is interchangable. Although I think Maroney is hurt to much , he is a talented back. We still have sammy and Faulk. We can draft a guy to develope in a later round.

I would love to turn that pick into a first rounder this year , a first rounder next year , and a young stud lb that is currently playing in the leauge.

Last edited:
Can we trade Asante after the season is over? Or he he a fa the second after the sb? I know we agreed not to tag him again , but do we still own his rights?

It's a moot point on when he becomes an FA, because the Pats don't have the rights to his services in 2008 anyways. In other words, no, the Pats can't trade him.

Im not entirely sure, but I think we'll get a compensatory pick for Samuel if we lose him. Probably a late 3rd or 4th.

Im not entirely sure, but I think we'll get a compensatory pick for Samuel if we lose him. Probably a late 3rd or 4th.

It depends on whether NE signs anyone themselves, and who else they lose.

We will not draft a running back with a top 10 pick. We have good rb's now (including Morris), plus we can pick one up with a mid-round pick. Our offense is the highest scoring offense in NFL history, and people want to select a RB? Our defense is getting old at LB, a safety who is nearing retirement, and a corner who is a free agent. What does that tell you.

Trade down to 12-14, draft Laurenaituis from OSU, insert him right into Tedy's spot and pick up an extra 2cond or 3rd rounder, then focus on DB's and Offensive lineman.

We will not draft a running back with a top 10 pick. We have good rb's now (including Morris), plus we can pick one up with a mid-round pick. Our offense is the highest scoring offense in NFL history, and people want to select a RB? Our defense is getting old at LB, a safety who is nearing retirement, and a corner who is a free agent. What does that tell you.

I agree. Plus, RBs don't have a long shelf life, so it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense paying one what a top 10 draft pick would make.

In addition to that, BB/SP have clearly decided that riding one RB into the ground is not a good way to go, so that further reduces the value on the investment. I personally feel that NE is going to either trade it for two firsts (one this year and one next year if Dallas isn't involved) or keep it and pick a LB. We always say that hte guys who are physically ready to play LB on BB's defense are gone early, so this is really the only time they will be able to bring one in as a rookie.

As rock and roll detective Ford Fairlane might say: case cuh-losed.

If the FO does indeed use SF's pick, the only offensive player it should consider is an OT. Otherwise, either ILB, SS or CB should be the choice.

Did the OP say we should draft Mike Hart with our top 5 pick? Wowzers lol

I'd love to see Mike Hart on this team, chosen with the 2nd rounder.

I notice that Chris Long weighs 270 and runs a 4.75.

If he drops a couple pounds and improves that speed to 4.70, might Belichick have an eye on him as a ILB?

There is absolutely no need for Mike Hart. The Pats already have Maroney, Morris, and Faulk. The only RB that should be considered is McFadden and that's just because of the great talent he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back