PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With the 4th overall selection in the 2008 NFL draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'd be nice to see him break one at least once this year though

he will..hes not getting ton of carries with our offense..no1 really is but he will break 1

Not sure if this has been posted, but what if we trade the pick for Dallas's 2 first rounders AND Barber. I wouldn't rule it out, and it would reunite maroney with his college mate.

One quick question. Why is everyone sold that Dallas will trade for that pick?

Speculation. Rumors abound that Jones is enamored with McFaddon, and two mid to late 1st round picks would be slightly less than a top four according to the draft chart.

they might give up both firsts but will not give up Barber as well

that would leave them with no backup and its always better for a 2 back system. They will tender him for a first rounder

The best scenario will be getting the 2nd or 3rd pick.

My reasoning is simple. The league is low on good QB's. Teams are desperate for that centerpiece right now. With Brohm, Brennan and Ryan coming out, a bunch of dumb teams are going to do what it takes to get their guy.

Add to that, the McFadden hype (which I'm somewhat caught up in).

Teams will be willing to give up a ton to get a shot at him.

I can honestly forsee a situation similar to Dallas trading Herschel Walker to Minn. for a dynasty.

This situation is truly win/win.

The only trade I would consider with Dallas would be our 1st for Ware. Dallas wouldn't go for it....unless JJ really wants McFadden. Throw it out there and see what happens.

BTW, the money paid to top 10 picks isn't as bad now that the cap is higher and will expand again in a year or two.

Either trade the pick for more then it's worth or use it on the best non-QB available( J. Long OT Mich).

We're counting on Jones to be stupid because he likes moves which make a big media splash.

What's with all this talk of trading? Isn't this draft supposed to be pretty talented? Is it not wise to cash in the pick now instead of trading into a weaker draft next year?

Perhaps after watching the niners' pathetic display tonight, BB and Pioli will, out of the goodness of their heart, trade the pick back to SF for Willis and a second, and next year's first.

i know its only one game, but I'm pretty sure now that our first pick WILL be in the top 5. That is DEFINITELY not a value situation under today's rookie salary cap. That's the bad news. The good news is Dallas' reported lust for McFadden. I agree with others and Parcells, that RB IS a disposable commodity. Just look what happened to Pederson this week. You CANNOT commit huge money to a player who is getting hit on his legs 20 times a game.

I love the 2 low first rounders and Barber trade. If Jones is that in love with his fellow razorback, it could come true, especially if Cleveland winds up in the mid 20s. The reason Barber is possible is that he will be a FA the next next season. If Jones thinks that McFadden will put more people into his huge new stadium, he could spring the deal for mere economic reasons, and still have Jones and McFadden in the Dallas Backfield.

In the Meantime, Barber would upgrade the Pats RB situation and BB would have a real 1-2-3 punch at RB, at the same time get 2 quality players at a reasonable price. Its a win-win for everyone.

The big kicker is if the Pats end up really liking someone that high up....say a Dorsey or some LT

I hope the Pats fail to adress their defense in the draft.

big game next week rams against 49ers . we might be looking at a 3rd...to trade down !

I don't see what that has to do with this discussion.

But with that said, our 2007 draft was a very good one.

Hows that working out for you this year? Did the rookies help put you guys over the top?

The problem with RBs is that even the superstars are one leg injury away from being just another guy. Look at Ki-Jana Carter, Robert Edwards... the list stretches on. Even though he's all kinds of exciting, I get the feeling Adrian Peterson is going to suffer a nasty tear or something (worse than the current one) and regress mightily within the next year or two, as well, just from looking at the way he runs.

The difference between a great RB, a good RB, and an average one aren't all that great. Would having LDT (great) over Corey Dillon (good) in 2004 made that much of a difference? How about Dillon over Antowain Smith in 2001 and 2003?

Last edited:
I don't see what that has to do with this discussion.

But with that said, our 2007 draft was a very good one.

Aqua I appreciate that you are a fan but I'm sorry Ted Ginn Jr. with your first round pick was a giant reach.

Maybe he will pay off but even you have to admit that they had other more pressing needs.

The problem with RBs is that even the superstars are one leg injury away from being just another guy. Look at Ki-Jana Carter, Robert Edwards... the list stretches on. Even though he's all kinds of exciting, I get the feeling Adrian Peterson is going to suffer a nasty tear or something (worse than the current one) and regress mightily within the next year or two, as well, just from looking at the way he runs.

The difference between a great RB, a good RB, and an average one aren't all that great. Would having LDT (great) over Corey Dillon (good) in 2004 made that much of a difference? How about Dillon over Antowain Smith in 2001 and 2003?

Having a terrible running back, like Smith in '03 or the slew of unhealthy, lousy RBs in '05, kills the offense. It puts undue pressure on the OL and the passing game. So the difference between having a good RB and a crappy RB is huge. But the effect a great running back has on an offense that already has a good RB isn't "3rd pick overall" significant.

Good post, BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back