PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With the 4th overall selection in the 2008 NFL draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no desire to see New England improve the Cowboys by making any such trade. If New England does trade down, I would prefer it not be a trade involving the Colts, Cowboys, Steelers, Chargers or Packers. In my opinion, it'd be better to trade with a lesser team and take lower picks/picks from next year than to give those teams a draft pick at the top of the first round.
Why would they do that, anyway? The picks would all be further down the draft if you trade with a team that finishes in the playoffs. Most of those teams will be willing to improve on their depth like the Pats (especially the morgue that is the Colts). Struggling teams would want to get a boost from a first-round potential starter.

I have no desire to see New England improve the Cowboys by making any such trade.

Why would anyone buy your premise that this would improve the Cowboys?

There's this guy in Dallas who owns 2 1st round picks and happens to be a graduate of the Univ of Arkansas. He's a very egomaniacal kind of guy who loves making the BIG SPLASH even if he doesn't have a desperate need at running back. Might want to tuck that little tidbit into the back of your mind until Draft day.

My dream trade is the 49ers 1st to the Cowboys for their 1st, Cleveland's 1st, and Marion Barber. Would never happen, but a man can dream.

...The New England Patriots select RB Darren McFadden from Arkansas.

The only team who could snag McFadden is the Jets, but they could draft a QB instead. The Dolphins need a QB and have Ronnie Brown. Rams have Stephen Jackson. I can see McFadden drop down to us in the top 5 like Adrian Peterson. If the Jets do take McFadden, I like Mike Hart or trade the pick. I want to see another RB to go with Maroney.

Here's a thread that I made just for you :)
http://patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=67000

There's no way in hell the Pats use this pick. Kraft has said multiple times in the past that high first round picks are not economical.

Quote me on this. The Pats WILL NOT draft in the Top 10 of the 2008 NFL Draft.

I can see them trading down somewhere in the top 10. The 10th pick could net a serious player at nowhere near the contract of a top 3 or4, and still land the probably another 2nd rounder. Especially if they could land an inside backer of the quality of say a Patrick Willis. Willis is on a bad team, but he's absolutely a stud worthy of a top 10 draft slot. So I wouldnt completely rule out the thought of still drafting somewhere lower in the top 10.

Primetime, I suggested the same deal to a buddy of mine that roots for Dallas.... he didn't like it.

The key question is, would Jerry Jones do it? Wouldn't surprise me.

Without knowing who is going to be back next year, who knows who we will draft or where. I'd say it's fairly likely Bruschi retires, Seau too. I think we need LB's. I know we don't usually draft them high, but if both of them retire we could be in trouble. Maybe even trade the pick for a good ILB. Harrison could be gone too but I don't think we need to draft there, we have Sanders and Meriweather. On offense, I would say it's fairly likely all of our big 3 receivers return. So other than that, I don't see a position to draft for. Maybe TE or Right tackle. Who knows...

On second thought though, we could move Vrabel back inside and draft a DE/OLB, but I like the way Vrabel is playing outside this year.

Last edited:
There's this guy in Dallas who owns 2 1st round picks and happens to be a graduate of the Univ of Arkansas. He's a very egomaniacal kind of guy who loves making the BIG SPLASH even if he doesn't have a desperate need at running back. Might want to tuck that little tidbit into the back of your mind until Draft day.

Marion Barber III is probably one of the top 5 or 6 running backs in the league. If Jones trades his draft for a RB who may not even be the best prospect in his backfield, I would be shocked.

Someone close down this idiotic thread.
Maroney/Morris/Faulk are averaging an awesome ypc number, we do not need to draft or trade for a long legged upright runner with more speed than moves.

Pats need youth at LB. RB is pretty far down on the totem pole right now.

who said it's gonna be the 4th pick?

There's no way in hell the Pats use this pick. Kraft has said multiple times in the past that high first round picks are not economical.

Ok I'll try to remember to quote you on this. :)

The McFadden pick has already been discussed.
Unless Maroney shows me more, I think I'm in favor of McFadden.
If there turns out to be a 'Champ Bailey' level talent I wouldn't mind taking that person, but I don't think there is, not for 2008.

BB will take BPA imo, so that likely means McFadden or maybe Long if he is as good as people believe he is. I would accept a trade of our pick for DeMarcus Ware and a late 1st from Dallas, but I don't think we're gonna be able to swindle them out of that young stud.

who said it's gonna be the 4th pick?

Well considering SF has zero first downs with 3 minutes left tonight in the first half, I'd say 4th is fairly realistic at this point.

...The New England Patriots select RB Darren McFadden from Arkansas.

The only team who could snag McFadden is the Jets, but they could draft a QB instead. The Dolphins need a QB and have Ronnie Brown. Rams have Stephen Jackson. I can see McFadden drop down to us in the top 5 like Adrian Peterson. If the Jets do take McFadden, I like Mike Hart or trade the pick. I want to see another RB to go with Maroney.

"Only truly stupid teams or clubs ready to win a Super bowl would spend "big money" on a "disposable product" like a RB." a quote attributed to the Tuna prior to the 49er Seahawk game.

Chris Berman rolled the "disposable product" term around; aghast that Tuna was so brutally honest.

Much better to draft ten year players than 4 year players. Tuna pointed out that most RB careers are but four years long. By contrast the Seahawks left tackle will play ten plus years and make merely good RBs into great ones.

The Tuna said smart Teams don't want to and don't have to tie up big money in RBs. He said the Pats and Broncs won multiple Superbowls with merely good RBs that gained over a 1000 yards per year, behind good lines. And these successful teams used lots of RBs.

The Pats, for example, "the Team of the Decade" in Tuna's words, have used Antowain Smith, Corey Dillon, Kevin Faulk, Laurence Maroney and Sammy Morris and won multiple Lombardis. He also pointed out that Denver also won multiple Superbowls with T Davis and a host of other RBs.

Good organizations don't waste money on RBs; they spend it on long term players and end up with a greater number of better players and more talented Teams.

Well considering SF has zero first downs with 3 minutes left tonight in the first half, I'd say 4th is fairly realistic at this point.

I'm saying it could be the third or second.

"Only truly stupid teams or clubs ready to win a Super bowl would spend "big money" on a "disposable product" like a RB." a quote attributed to the Tuna prior to the 49er Seahawk game.

Chris Berman rolled the "disposable product" term around; aghast that Tuna was so brutally honest.

Much better to draft ten year players than 4 year players. Tuna pointed out that most RB careers are but four years long. By contrast the Seahawks left tackle will play ten plus years and make merely good RBs into great ones.

The Tuna said smart Teams don't want to and don't have to tie up big money in RBs. He said the Pats and Broncs won multiple Superbowls with merely good RBs that gained over a 1000 yards per year, behind good lines. And these successful teams used lots of RBs.

The Pats, for example, "the Team of the Decade" in Tuna's words, have used Antowain Smith, Corey Dillon, Kevin Faulk, Laurence Maroney and Sammy Morris and won multiple Lombardis. He also pointed out that Denver also won multiple Superbowls with T Davis and a host of other RBs.

Good organizations don't waste money on RBs; they spend it on long term players and end up with a greater number of better players and more talented Teams.

Those were my thoughts before seeing the Tuna say that, and afterward I just felt validated.

High picks ARE uneconomical. But if the Patriots want to get maximum value for their pick, they need to be prepared to use it.

Remember that Richard Seymour was the 6th overall pick.

When it is time for the Patriots to make their pick, somebody is going to have to make them an offer that is genuinely worth more than the best remaining player (at his exorbitant top five price).

If that somehow never happens, BB will actually use the pick.

Maroney is averaging 4.7 ypc while not getting ton of carries and being hurt. 4.7 is very good.

Maroney is averaging 4.7 ypc while not getting ton of carries and being hurt. 4.7 is very good.

It'd be nice to see him break one at least once this year though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing