PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"With SF's pick, it's like we didn't even lose our 1st!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJDChE

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ummm, no.

I've seen a few people say something along these lines, including dumbass Peter King. We're still losing a 1st rounder, people. I don't care if we get the #1 overall from SF, we could've had #1 AND #32.

I agree with you, but even still there's nothing wrong with putting a positive spin on the situation. The Patriots' original 1st rounder is gone and it's not coming back. Nothing you can do about it. But it is important to note that the Patriots could still make a splash in the 1st round thanks to the SF pick.

Ummm, no.

I've seen a few people say something along these lines, including dumbass Peter King. We're still losing a 1st rounder, people. I don't care if we get the #1 overall from SF, we could've had #1 AND #32.

Yup, and it sucks.

I have hopes the patriots will challenge the Goodell decision in the offseason but don't want to create a distraction during the season.

(Mods - might want to merge this with the other thread about the 2008 draft)

I don't think anyone's actually suggesting we're making up a pick...

I'd guess they are remarking about the fact that when the season started, most predicted SF to be a contender.

Their pick was looking like it could well be in the 20s...let's say they did a little worse than expected and it was an 18th pick. That's a draft value of 900.

Add that to the Patriots expected #32 and you've got a draft value of 1490.

Right now a #5 pick from SF wouldn't surprise anyone.

That's a value of 1700

1700 is better than 1490.

Would I rather have a #32 pick too - of course? Do you think some wouldn't?

But thanks to San Fran we've got better value right now than everyone thought we would even with the Patriots hoped for #32.

So I think you probably missed the point that some were making in that BB could trade down and STILL have two very good #1 picks next season, in a way saying FU to Goodell and the rest of the league.

I'll just pretend we traded our 1st round pick last year for Randy Moss. Is there anyone that doesn't do this knowing what they know now? I would probably trade both picks for him, knowing what I know now.

I have hopes the patriots will challenge the Goodell decision in the offseason but don't want to create a distraction during the season.

On what basis?

The fact is, that since the Pats traded a first rounder in 07 for a first rounder in 08, it wasn't a fair trade to begin with. Deferred compensation needs to be devalued by one round. But since SF is doing so badly, trading a 20 something pick for a top 10 pick the following year is actually more along the lines of a favorable trade.

Also, remember that the Pats traded their 2nd #1 because they had an extra for Deion Branch. Another case of deferred compensation - this time a player for a pick the next year. Waiving that piece of paper around during the AFCCG doesn't really help Alexander cover Clark any better does it?

In theory once you get the ball rolling - always have 2 #1s and always trade the latter of them for a #1 the following year - you get two chances to get a great pick and then defer the other pick for two chances the following year. This brilliant scheme is hard to get going again without the lead domino (i.e. Drew Bledsoe, Deion Branch).

Its Karma.

The reason why the Niners suck and why our pick is getting more valuable every day is because the NFL screwed with the Pats.

The universe is giving us back what was stolen from us. Be grateful and have a laugh at the expense of that prick Goodell.

Its Karma.

The reason why the Niners suck and why our pick is getting more valuable every day is because the NFL screwed with the Pats.

The universe is giving us back what was stolen from us. Be grateful and have a laugh at the expense of that prick Goodell.

If it's Karma, what's in it for the Niners? Or are they just getting Karma back for their 1980's run?

If it's Karma, what's in it for the Niners? Or are they just getting Karma back for their 1980's run?

Its their own fault for getting swindled by the Pats which is just an indication of their overall ineptitude which is why they suck.

Its Karma.

The Niners suck because they suck, not because god or some other powerful being decided the Patriots are virtuous.

I mean please. God is clearly on Saint Dungy's side.

The Niners suck because they suck, not because god or some other powerful being decided the Patriots are virtuous.

I mean please. God is clearly on Saint Dungy's side.

I didn't say anything about God, I mean he's supposed to be a Cowboys fan isn't he? How'd that work out for him?

No, I believe the 49ers mortgaged their future back in 1994 just to win their last Super Bowl championship. And for the last few years we are seeing the results.

The Niners get the rest of the NFC West. The bar is set very low there. Just think about it - a few acquisitions in the off season and they have a decent shot at being a .500 team and winning the division.

Ummm, no.

Totally agree. It BLOWS to have lost that pick. We ALSO lost a pick when Rodney got caught for HGH - I think that's why we reversed field in the Asante negotiations. Otherwise, we can franchise him and trade him to the highest bidder. We likely would've gotten AT LEAST a #1 pick for him.

Oh well.

Ummm, no.

Wouldn't BB and Pioli TRADE DOWN to get multiple #1's?

Seriously, when all is said and done, it's a wash.

With the 32nd pick in the draft, the New England Patriots, having already traded the #5 and others for as many draftees that can make our damn team anyway, pass on the selection for the right to say

F....U!

Last edited:
I look at it this way:

we traded Deon Branch for Randy Moss and to move up 27 spots in the first round of the draft.

that's an amazing deal no matter how you look at it.

I look at it this way:

we traded Deon Branch for Randy Moss and to move up 27 spots in the first round of the draft.

that's an amazing deal no matter how you look at it.

Well, almost. That "trade" wasn't contemporaneous. To make this a true apples to applies comparison, you'd have to say that we also lost a year of not having either Branch or Moss. In other words, this "trade" took a year (two years to get to the pick) to complete. And in that year, we really could have used a wide receiver of Branch's caliber.

In fact, you might make the argument that with Branch last year we win the superbowl. So it was a bit more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes