PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With our D, are we one and done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Six weeks or so ago i would have said the Pats are one and done. But i can't think of any decent QB's in the AFC that the Pats would end up playing. The best QB i could see the Pats end up playing is Benny Rothli#$%^% and hes hurt. Besides BB would be ready this time for the game plan the Steelers used to beat the Pats a couple of months ago. There are no Bree's, Rogers, or even Mat Ryan's to have to contend with. I also think this team has a toughness lacking from last years.

Just playing the devil's advocate, but we have lost to Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco in the playoffs, and a little before that, get ready for it...Jake Plummer.

I think we have to play the wait and see, but i like our chances if we can avoid Baltimore. They always see to make things tough for us.

Last edited:
Only concerned with how we're going to win. We usually don't beat ourselves (2009 being an exception).

I'm just happy this question would get someone killed if it were uttered in the current Patriots locker room, that's all I care about.

Ugh, are you fracking kidding me?

What game were we blown out of? Which game did our defense give us zero shot to win?
Bueller? Bueller...?
Exactly, we were in EVERY game this year with a shot to win.
Our losses: 4 turnovers, 20 minutes of possession, 4 turnovers.
Even with the above, we still had chances to win those games, we lost by what, 3, 9 and 4?

Add on to that who we would face in the AFC playoffs.
Who are you scared of? Tebow again? TJ Yates? Dalton? A broken Roethlisberger? Joe "I'm as accurate as Sanchez" Flacco?
Which one of those QBs makes you think "ya, they'll put up 45 on us and give us no shot to win"?
Which defense do you fear so much? The Ravens who lost to: The Titans, The Jaguars, The Seahawks, and the Chargers.
Maybe the Texans defense, I mean they only lost to the Colts and Panthers the last two weeks.
The Steelers? Please. Palamalalalaou's hair has nothing on Brady.

This defense is ugly. But the opposing teams seem to get in their own way, and we make 3-4 good plays a game. Int's & fumble recoveries.

If TFB is firing, it doesn't matter what our D is doing.

I would think that we will at the very least get to the AFC championship game. The Texans have the three seed and with T.J. Yates at QB i would imagine they will be defeated. That would mean we play the six seed; Bengals? Should be a win. Then we would only have to win one game against a really good team, Pitt or Balt, to get to the superbowl.

Ugh, are you fracking kidding me?

What game were we blown out of? Which game did our defense give us zero shot to win?
Bueller? Bueller...?
Exactly, we were in EVERY game this year with a shot to win.
Our losses: 4 turnovers, 20 minutes of possession, 4 turnovers.
Even with the above, we still had chances to win those games, we lost by what, 3, 9 and 4?

Add on to that who we would face in the AFC playoffs.
Who are you scared of? Tebow again? TJ Yates? Dalton? A broken Roethlisberger? Joe "I'm as accurate as Sanchez" Flacco?
Which one of those QBs makes you think "ya, they'll put up 45 on us and give us no shot to win"?
Which defense do you fear so much? The Ravens who lost to: The Titans, The Jaguars, The Seahawks, and the Chargers.
Maybe the Texans defense, I mean they only lost to the Colts and Panthers the last two weeks.
The Steelers? Please. Palamalalalaou's hair has nothing on Brady.

define 'in the game' .....

I think the pats had no chance against the steelers.....technically, they had the ball down less than one score in the end, but you're kidding yourself if you thought that was going anywhere. the pats were thoroughly dominated in every aspect of that game.....they had no chance

BB is a mastermind defensive coach and the defense is not as bad as people make them out to be. Defense is all about opportunity and we have some great playmakers who tend to stiffen in the Red Zone... INT's baby!

Who cares about yards? they do not matter!
5000 for Brees = 0,
50 for TB = 60.

Like many, I think that success in the Playoffs is all about momentum.

If the Pats beat Buffalo on Sunday (acknowledging that assumptions are dangerous exercises in the NFL), they will enter the playoffs on an 8--0 run.

Looking at the other Playoff teams (or possible teams), and assuming that they also win on Sunday (not only dangerous but, in this case theoretically impossible because Cincy* and Baltimore* are playing each other this week), we would have:

Denver would enter 1--0 off of two losses
Oakland would enter 2--0 off of three losses
Houston, 1--0 off of two losses
Tennessee, 2--0 off of two losses
Cincinnati*, 2--0 off of two losses
Baltimore*, 2--0 off of one loss, but with a 6--1 finish
Pittsburgh, 2--0 off of one loss, but with a 6--2 finish

It's no surprise that the two teams a lot of Pats fans worry about the most would be coming into the Playoffs with the strongest finishes of the possible competition.

So, to answer the thread question, "No, I don't think the Pats are 'one and done' this season." I see them beating Cincy, Denver, Houston, Oakland or Tennessee at home in the Division round and battling it out with the survivor of Baltimore and Pittsburgh for the Conference Championship at home. But, as with any prediction, that and 25 cents will get you a free local call on a pay phone, if you can still find one.

Last edited:
Took the words right out of my mouth..

On top of that, the Packers have a much better defense to boot. It's not even close. They have some good guys up front in Raji and Cullen Jenkins, a playmaker in the LB with Clay Mathhews, and MUCH better talent in the secondary with one of the best CB's in the game with Charles Woodson.

Hell, even Tramon Williams would easily be a #1 CB on this Patriots team, and has put up incredible numbers in the past 4 seasons since his arrival into the league:

19 INT in 4 yrs, with 65 (SIXTY-FIVE) passes defended. T.Williams will have his second consecutive year with 20+ passes defended AND at least 4 INT's....to me, those numbers are insane... What's even better for Packer fans is that they guy on the other side (Woodson) will also have 20+ passes defended this yr, and has 7 INT's to go with it.

Those are ridiculous numbers from their 2 top CB's.

Green Bay gets a bad rap due to the fact that all of the teams are playing from behind, and that is NOT something that is in conjunction with the 2011 N.England Patriots, who although have had leads this yr, are usually battling it out with teams right through 50-75% of the game. The Packers actually make you play from behind right from the start. It doesn't take them 2-3 quarters to get the lead, and that is specifically why no one tends to bring up their 31st ranked secondary. The numbers are skewed. I'm sure the homerist of homers will say that the same bodes for the Patriots, but that is not true. Unless you're talking about the 2007 Patriots, that is.

Their KR (rookie, to boot) Randall Cobb averages 28 yards per return, and will be one of the most explosive KR's in the league for the next 5-6 years. Their kicker Mason Crosby is better than Gostkowski, especially when the chips are down; and has better overall range.

And we all know what the offense can do..Rodgers will come damn close to breaking Brady's record of 50 TD's thrown, and he'll do it with almost one less full game than Brady had in 2007. That offense would torch this NE defense like you can't even imagine. You can fool yourself, and pretend that NE could somehow slow them down, but no one here can actually believe that.

Had it not been for the loss to KC, all you'd hear about night and day 24/7 is how this yr's Packer team may be the best ever to play.

If the 2 teams met in Gillette stadium in NE, I'd imagine that the Pats could slow them down and make it a closer game, but otherwise I don't honestly see how NE could even keep it within 10-14 pts. That's NOT a knock on NE, who is having an incredible season, and should be lauded for their tenacity. That's just an honest viewpoint of the difference in the 2 teams. You can try and spin it all you want, (and I can only guess at to what poster will try to do that) but NE is no more than a top 3-4 team in the NFL this yr; which is incredible in itself, but they are not in the same league at the Packers.

I'd imagine the same scenario with the Saints, just a lesser degree. Unless either one of those teams shoots themselves in the foot somehow, or NE could all of the sudden pressure the QB with a bunch of exotic blitz schemes and better talent in the LB core, both would pick apart this shoddy NE secondary like it's their job.

Let's try and get past the Steelers and the Ravens first, and then go from there. With 2 weeks to prepare for one of the elite NFC teams, I'd imagine that Belichick would somehow find a way to show them something, but it will be a long way just to try and get to that point. The 2011 Pats are impressive in some areas, but I think the talent level is the difference, and that's on defense..in the secondary to be specific.

Cullen Jenkins -- great player, unfortunately, he is not on the Packers. Patriots DL is probably better than GB's, LB's are about a wash. Their secondary obviously is head and shoulders above ours, but we can beat any team including them if we win the turnover battle.

I'm confused by some of the logic in this thread. What does a comparison between the Packers defense and the Patriots defense have to do with the likelihood of the Pats losing in the first round of the playoffs?

I think that says the majority of this fan base are quietly confident and believe they're going to be facing Green Bay in the super bowl. There's a few scared cats, but most have finished licking their wounds awhile ago and don't share the opening posts fear.

The past is the past. Pats aren't going to let one of these half-ass, undecided teams represent the AFC in the super bowl this year.

Tom's like that warrior that just kind of wanted his peace of mind and live his life peacefully, but considering what's going on this year...somebody's gotta go out there and do it right. The AFC this year reminds me of the NFC a few years ago. It's ugly and it needs to be saved. Whether the Pats even want to or not, they have no choice. Gotta go to work. It's not really up to them to lose this year. It's like the AFC already unanimously made a decision: "Tom. Pats. We suck bad man and there's no way in hell we got a chance to beat Green Bay so....could you help us out this year?"
;)

Yeah you probably shouldn't watch the game

Took the words right out of my mouth..

On top of that, the Packers have a much better defense to boot. It's not even close. They have some good guys up front in Raji and Cullen Jenkins, a playmaker in the LB with Clay Mathhews, and MUCH better talent in the secondary with one of the best CB's in the game with Charles Woodson.

Hell, even Tramon Williams would easily be a #1 CB on this Patriots team, and has put up incredible numbers in the past 4 seasons since his arrival into the league:

Jenkins is an Eagle right now. Raji has regressed greatly since last year. Matthews has regressed badly as a pass rusher (although the extra opportunities in coverage have helped his stat line). THREE Patriots have more sacks this season than Matthews. Woodson is still a playmaker, but declining in coverage, even since last year. Williams was a pro bowl CB last year who is playing nothing like a pro bowler this year (sound familiar?). Their 3rd CB (Shields) has also declined from an already overrated rookie season. Peprah isn't much better than what the Pats are throwing out there at safety, believe it or not. And the Packers are playing with two borderline useless LBs. Heck, they'd LOVE to have Ninkovich and Fletcher STARTING for them right now.

Everyone says the biggest difference between the Pats and the Packers is that the Packers have more talent on defense. Well that's not right. The Packers don't have better players. They have bigger names. None of their big names are playing like elite players, though, with the one exception being Woodson as a playmaker (and he's still overrated in coverage).

The teams with good defenses (ravens/steelers) know how to slow down or even stop Brady, and thats where our defense comes in. Unfortunately our defense can't stop a herd of turtles rampaging through peanut butter in the middle of february.

Couldn't agree more, that's why the Patriots records against those teams are so bad, every year they have the better defense and every year we lose to them. Man, it sucks having to root for this team, I can't wait until the Belichik/ Brady era is over so we can have a chance.

With this defense facing this year's version of the AFC, it could be one-and-done, and it could be Super Bowl bound. That's just the way the conference has been this year.

Couldn't agree more, that's why the Patriots records against those teams are so bad, every year they have the better defense and every year we lose to them. Man, it sucks having to root for this team, I can't wait until the Belichik/ Brady era is over so we can have a chance.

LOL! How long have you been a fan, 2 years? The Pats own both of those franchises.

LOL! How long have you been a fan, 2 years? The Pats own both of those franchises.

I believe your sarcasm meter may need recalibrating. :)

Another rosecolored homer.:( The Ravens and Steelers have put up big yards against the patriots for years. Flacco torched them in that play-off game and Roethlisberger OWNS BRADY.

Face it homerboy the Patriots have no chance and their play-off record proves it.

With this defense facing this year's version of the AFC, it could be one-and-done, and it could be Super Bowl bound. That's just the way the conference has been this year.

If they didn't suck so bad i would actually agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down