PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With our D, are we one and done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember a year when the Patriots have played so few of the best teams. Currently, there are 8 teams, other than the Patriots, who have 9 wins. The Patriots have played exactly 1 of those teams (Pittsburgh) and lost that game. If the Giants beat the Cowboys this week, the Patriots will have beaten only one division winner (whoever wins the AFC West), and, possibly, only one playoff team. They've also beaten only 1 of the QBs with a top 10 QB rating (Romo) and that was a game where his coach didn't trust him to throw at the end of the game.

Of course, last year they played and beat almost all of the best teams and it didn't help in the playoffs, so I'm hoping none of this really means anything. Hoping, but not totally believing.

How does anyone answer this without knowing the opponent or what the health situation of both teams is going to be?

It could be Pittsburgh who certainly would be tough to beat but not impossible. Who knows what Ben's ankle will be like at that point. They are dominant at home but just 4-3 on the road. The same can be said for Baltimore who is 8-0 at home but only 3-4 on the road and also could be the first playoff game.

It could also be Houston with either Yates or Delhomme at QB, Denver, Oakland, Tennesseee, Cincy, or the Jets. I'd consider the Pats big favorites against all of them.

This is far from a great Patriots team. The defense just isn't very good. Right now the offensive line situation is a huge concern. What everyone seems to miss is there are no great teams anywhere else in the AFC.

except that the Packers are 6-0 vs playoff teams or possible playoff teams
And the Pats were 6-1 against playoff teams last year and how did that work out? I don't care if the Pats were going into the playoffs with a 6-0 record. The defence is either good enough, come playoff time, or not. Regular season record becomes irrelevant once the post season starts. Seahawks (7-9) beat the Saints last year. The Jets needed have backed into the playoffs for 2 years in a row(one year they needed they got in because their last 2 opponents pretty much forfeited the games) and gotten to the AFCCG. Indy had a horrendous D (run D especially) the year, they won the SB, in the regular season but they played terrific in the post season.
Do I think the Pats D can pull such a transformation in the playoffs? No. Hopefully I'm wrong.

The teams with good defenses (ravens/steelers) know how to slow down or even stop Brady, and thats where our defense comes in. Unfortunately our defense can't stop a herd of turtles rampaging through peanut butter in the middle of february.

How exactly do they "slow down" Brady?

They win a game every 7 or 8 years? That's slowing them down?

Seriously, what need is served with these idiotic threads?

Looking at the "contributions", I guess one can say misery loves company.

If they play well, they win. If not, they will lose.

Having threads where the village idiots descend to talk nonsense on the defense is useless.

This argument is about as ridiculous as "the only way the Pats can win a game in the playoffs if the Pats score 30 points on offense". That argument is stupid since the Pats have given up more than 24 points three times this year (25 points to the Steelers, 27 points to the Redskins, and 34 points to the Bills and seven points in that game came from a pick six by Brady).

The defense is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I hear people say this is the worst defense they have ever seen when it isn't even the worst defense this year. It isn't a great defense, but it is average to slightly below average made to look bad by a lot of garbage time yards and points.

What this defense has go for it, it is opportunistic (the Pats lead the AFC in turnover differential and has created more turnovers than any team in the AFC in the playoffs or could get into the playoffs) and don't give up a lot of points. In the AFC that is good enough to beat anyone. It may be good enough to beat anyone in the NFC.

Last edited:
Pats fans sound scared. Have some faith. You know what, I'm not really as concerned with the playoffs so I'm going to go straight for the super bowl. How about that?

I think the Pats will get there unless they choke. Give the Pats some credit. There is not an AFC team this year that should scare anyone considering the land-scape. Maybe a Tebow miracle comeback which will have to include recovered on-side kicks, but anything short of that, the Pats shouldn't have a problem taking down anybody if they play their best game. Ben's banged up and churning out turnovers like candy, and the remaining QB's are either untested rookies or guys like....Joe Flacco? I'll see it as a huge upset if anybody in the AFC stops the Patriots. All the Patriots have to do is play their game and most of these teams will beat themselves in one way or another. And no I don't think I'm being overconfident and not saying they should overlook them. I'm just saying just continue to execute consistently and relentlessly like they have and let those teams stumble while they try to keep up . And they WILL stumble. So fast forward a bit to the big game, because this should be the level of play the Patriots need to prepare for anyway. If the Patriots are worried about the AFC this year, then forget about the super bowl. It WILL be a 27+ scoring super bowl. If there are turnovers it will be a blowout this year.

So when it comes to the big game, I am actually more concerned with the offense than the defense. It's been pretty clear that no NFL defense has been able to stop Green Bay or the Saints when their quarterbacks aren't having off days. When it comes to matching up with them, I think Pats D matches up ok. They are a seasoned, counter-scheme experienced defense which will match up well against both, but better against GB than the Saints. They'll take their time and figure them out in terms of their scheming eventually forcing enough incompletions to stop them a few times. Might take 3 possessions and giving up 60 yards a drive but they'll eventually stop them enough times to give the offense a chance. And the Pats also have pretty good special teams to help out on both ends. The Saints are a tougher bunch because they have a pretty bruising rushing attack to boot. They just have so many options it's quite impossible to account for all of them. On top of that Shawn is really on top of his game with his game planning and his offensive schemes this year. Green Bay, is going to be more about Rodgers. They depend heavily on his efficiency, but I don't see him slowing down either. Guy's on fire and it sounds like they may get Jennings back too for the championship game(if he's not 100% though I think it's a dumb move, but I suppose he deserves to be on that field and will be a big enough distraction).

When it's all said and done though I don't believe there is an NFL defense that you can put in front of these teams, that won't get scored on. Some might slow them down and keep the score low, but they will all get scored on pretty regularly. How many points they get scored on is going to depend on game length and turnovers. Defenses will be on the field and act more like kids mazes against these offenses. Offense will get through. So it's really going to be more about which offense stumbles and trips. Which QB loses focus and forces that pass he shouldn't. Which receiver hesitates and takes off on the run, before fully securing a catch. It will come down to those types of minor mistakes. And which D capitalizes on it. But there won't be any forcing, or any pressure-based schemes that will mess with these QB's. Playing aggressive, attack-style D, will get you killed so I actually like the Pats. In which case it will come down to the offense.

No 3 and outs. TD's vs FG's. And never missing an opportunity to put up points off of a turnover. Drew Brees can't get away with 4 passing touchdowns and 2 turnovers against Green Bay like he did against Atlanta. GB proved this earlier in the season. Close game, but that 1 turnover was all they needed. I don't think he can even get away with that against the Patriots. When it comes to the Patriots, the offense has stumbled and have been slowed down by some pretty unimpressive defenses so far this year but since Brees is more prone to picks, it will even things out if they somehow make it past GB. So then stopping their rushing attack will become the key factor. Brady can't afford to throw a pick period because Pats offense has stumbled quite a few times and either one of those teams will burn the Pats D. So it's going to take Tom raising up his level.

On a more general note this isn't going to be so much which defense is going to get a stop, but viewing it from the other perspective and seeing it more as which offense is going to fail to score on an opportunity.

I will say this though. With Green Bay and Rodgers, I know Carolina's kept them to 3 points on each of the 4 turnovers they committed this year. Bill may wanna take a look at that tape and see what the heck the Panthers D did because on all 4 occasions, GB started at mid-field or in our own territory and we were already missing our two best defensive players. We were playing rookies, 2nd and 3rd stringers on D and somehow didn't let them score TD's. They did have the lead for most of them though and as sloppy as we were playing, probably not worried too much about it, but it's still worth looking at. It may simply be a factor of Rodgers not being as confident and experienced when it gets cluttered in the red-zone. This may play into the Pats' D as well as Tom's favor. He won't have that problem.

In a battle it rarely comes down to who has the best armor but who has the sharper sword and better attacking strategy. Don't worry about what you don't have. Worry about about making that sword sharper and that arrow fly straighter. Everybody has an achilles heel. Not everyone is good enough to hit it when aiming for it. Or if you like cars analogies better then...

Pats= the C6 Corvette
GB = the C7 Corvette.

Yeah the new model might be a little faster, it's a little slicker, a bit more efficient, it's fresh, and in a drag race it would probably win. But the super bowl is not a drag race it's more like a rally race or formula one. You have a lot of twists and turns, and often comes down to the drivers and the co-pilots and sometimes those cars take a beating. So while GB may have the statistical advantage, and the slicker, newer offense, the Pats offense is well broken in, and have the more experienced driver and co-pilot and if any of them happen to break down, the Pats have the better mechanics who can patch it up, put that extra spit and shine on it, and finish the race because they have done it over and over. That advantage overcomes whatever statistical advantage GB's slicker engine has coming out of the factory.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Go Pats!

Last edited:
Whatever happened to just enjoying the damn season and the fact that we even made the playoffs?

Here's the thing. We all know the weaknesses on this team. If they don't turn the ball over, play consistent offense like they are capable of doing, and get a few key stops they can beat anyone. If they turn the ball over, start games slowly on offense, and get no stops they will lose. It's really that black and white with this team. The AFC field is not that impressive. The Ravens have had issues winning on the road, the Steelers while looking solid have a hurt QB and a defense we generally take care of, the Bengals have a rookie QB, the Broncos and Raiders are not at all impressive, the Texans are injured all over the place, etc. The Patriots are capable of beating any of those teams, but also capable of losing if they play stupid. Only reason we lost to the Jets last year was we played stupid. A dropped TD in the end zone and a bad INT turned what should have been 14-0 into only 3-0, with the way that game started we should have killed the Jets.

Last edited:
Pats fans sound scared. Have some faith. You know what, I'm not really as concerned with the playoffs so I'm going to go straight for the super bowl. How about that?

I think the Pats will get there unless they choke. Give the Pats some credit. There is not an AFC team this year that should scare anyone considering the land-scape. Maybe a Tebow miracle comeback which will have to include recovered on-side kicks, but anything short of that, the Pats shouldn't have a problem taking down anybody if they play their best game. Ben's banged up and churning out turnovers like candy, and the remaining QB's are either untested rookies or guys like....Joe Flacco? I'll see it as a huge upset if anybody in the AFC stops the Patriots. All the Patriots have to do is play their game and most of these teams will beat themselves in one way or another. And no I don't think I'm being overconfident and not saying they should overlook them. I'm just saying just continue to execute consistently and relentlessly like they have and let those teams stumble while they try to keep up . And they WILL stumble. So fast forward a bit to the big game, because this should be the level of play the Patriots need to prepare for anyway. If the Patriots are worried about the AFC this year, then forget about the super bowl. It WILL be a 27+ scoring super bowl. If there are turnovers it will be a blowout this year.

So when it comes to the big game, I am actually more concerned with the offense than the defense. It's been pretty clear that no NFL defense has been able to stop Green Bay or the Saints when their quarterbacks aren't having off days. When it comes to matching up with them, I think Pats D matches up ok. They are a seasoned, counter-scheme experienced defense which will match up well against both, but better against GB than the Saints. They'll take their time and figure them out in terms of their scheming eventually forcing enough incompletions to stop them a few times. Might take 3 possessions and giving up 60 yards a drive but they'll eventually stop them enough times to give the offense a chance. And the Pats also have pretty good special teams to help out on both ends. The Saints are a tougher bunch because they have a pretty bruising rushing attack to boot. They just have so many options it's quite impossible to account for all of them. On top of that Shawn is really on top of his game with his game planning and his offensive schemes this year. Green Bay, is going to be more about Rodgers. They depend heavily on his efficiency, but I don't see him slowing down either. Guy's on fire and it sounds like they may get Jennings back too for the championship game(if he's not 100% though I think it's a dumb move, but I suppose he deserves to be on that field and will be a big enough distraction).

When it's all said and done though I don't believe there is an NFL defense that you can put in front of these teams, that won't get scored on. Some might slow them down and keep the score low, but they will all get scored on pretty regularly. How many points they get scored on is going to depend on game length and turnovers. Defenses will be on the field and act more like kids mazes against these offenses. Offense will get through. So it's really going to be more about which offense stumbles and trips. Which QB loses focus and forces that pass he shouldn't. Which receiver hesitates and takes off on the run, before fully securing a catch. It will come down to those types of minor mistakes. And which D capitalizes on it. But there won't be any forcing, or any pressure-based schemes that will mess with these QB's. Playing aggressive, attack-style D, will get you killed so I actually like the Pats. In which case it will come down to the offense.

No 3 and outs. TD's vs FG's. And never missing an opportunity to put up points off of a turnover. Drew Brees can't get away with 4 passing touchdowns and 2 turnovers against Green Bay like he did against Atlanta. GB proved this earlier in the season. Close game, but that 1 turnover was all they needed. I don't think he can even get away with that against the Patriots. When it comes to the Patriots, the offense has stumbled and have been slowed down by some pretty unimpressive defenses so far this year but since Brees is more prone to picks, it will even things out if they somehow make it past GB. So then stopping their rushing attack will become the key factor. Brady can't afford to throw a pick period because Pats offense has stumbled quite a few times and either one of those teams will burn the Pats D. So it's going to take Tom raising up his level.

On a more general note this isn't going to be so much which defense is going to get a stop, but viewing it from the other perspective and seeing it more as which offense is going to fail to score on an opportunity.

I will say this though. With Green Bay and Rodgers, I know Carolina's kept them to 3 points on each of the 4 turnovers they committed this year. Bill may wanna take a look at that tape and see what the heck the Panthers D did because on all 4 occasions, GB started at mid-field or in our own territory and we were already missing our two best defensive players. We were playing rookies, 2nd and 3rd stringers on D and somehow didn't let them score TD's. They did have the lead for most of them though and as sloppy as we were playing, probably not worried too much about it, but it's still worth looking at. It may simply be a factor of Rodgers not being as confident and experienced when it gets cluttered in the red-zone. This may play into the Pats' D as well as Tom's favor. He won't have that problem.

In a battle it rarely comes down to who has the best armor but who has the sharper sword and better attacking strategy. Don't worry about what you don't have. Worry about about making that sword sharper and that arrow fly straighter. Everybody has an achilles heel. Not everyone is good enough to hit it when aiming for it. Or if you like cars analogies better then...

Pats= the C6 Corvette
GB = the C7 Corvette.

Yeah the new model might be a little faster, it's a little slicker, a bit more efficient, it's fresh, and in a drag race it would probably win. But the super bowl is not a drag race it's more like a rally race or formula one. You have a lot of twists and turns, and often comes down to the drivers and the co-pilots and sometimes those cars take a beating. So while GB may have the statistical advantage, and the slicker, newer offense, the Pats offense is well broken in, and have the more experienced driver and co-pilot and if any of them happen to break down, the Pats have the better mechanics who can patch it up, put that extra spit and shine on it, and finish the race because they have done it over and over. That advantage overcomes whatever statistical advantage GB's slicker engine has coming out of the factory.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Go Pats!
You said it all. What some people fail to realize is how deep the NFC is this year. It's going to be a bloodbath in that conference. Imagine if the Saints & Packers played (NFC championship game) or Saints & 49ers or 49ers & Packers. Some of those games will be brutal. If the pats play their game,the sky's the limit.

The answer to the question is no.

Defense no longer wins championships, offense wins championships.

All that matters is if the offense can outscore the other team.

You said it all. What some people fail to realize is how deep the NFC is this year. It's going to be a bloodbath in that conference. Imagine if the Saints & Packers played (NFC championship game) or Saints & 49ers or 49ers & Packers. Some of those games will be brutal. If the pats play their game,the sky's the limit.

I don't think there's any chance the Saints don't play the 49ers. They obliterated both of their potential wildcard round opponents in New Orleans. Sure the Falcons or Lions could have better games but I don't see it happening and man will that 49ers vs Saints game be fun to watch with the clashing of opposing strengths especially given that it will be in San Francisco where the Saints should theoretically be slowed down a little bit by the elements.

If you say so about the Pats, you have to do the same about the Packers.
I don't think so, on the defensive side of the ball the packers still have most of the players from last year when their D was pretty good, they're just not playing well. So the potential is there to turn it around, once the playoffs start i can see them returning to last years form. The Pats on the other hand aren't as good defensively as they were last year, i would take last years defensive backfield over this years any day.

Six weeks or so ago i would have said the Pats are one and done. But i can't think of any decent QB's in the AFC that the Pats would end up playing. The best QB i could see the Pats end up playing is Benny Rothli#$%^% and hes hurt. Besides BB would be ready this time for the game plan the Steelers used to beat the Pats a couple of months ago. There are no Bree's, Rogers, or even Mat Ryan's to have to contend with. I also think this team has a toughness lacking from last years.

Last edited:

But it's so much fun though, no? Such an exciting year. The way this playoff structure is shaping off as one of the most amazing playoff elimination games in a long time. Here's a chance to get the elite passers of this generation and maybe the next generation in the big game. This is Montana vs Elway. This is like Peyton Manning vs Brady which never happened. The only thing missing is Brady vs Peyton in the AFC championship.

Forget being worried about what the Patriots might be missing. They're still 12-4! I feel like it's the Patriots' duty to be part of this. They can't let some other scrub AFC team get in that Super Bowl. Nobody will give a crap about it if GB beats up on Joe Flacco or a busted up Ben. Or poor Tebow or Andy. They HAVE TO make it! You gotta get there this year Tom. This is history and you can't afford NOT to be part of this. This isn't just for the Patriots. This is for the AFC. This is for the NFL. This is for every fan of football out there. This is for football itself.

This is one of those once every 20 years type Super Bowl match-ups.

Last edited:
I don't think there's any chance the Saints don't play the 49ers. They obliterated both of their potential wildcard round opponents in New Orleans. Sure the Falcons or Lions could have better games but I don't see it happening and man will that 49ers vs Saints game be fun to watch with the clashing of opposing strengths especially given that it will be in San Francisco where the Saints should theoretically be slowed down a little bit by the elements.

You make a good point about the 49'ers. We're all kind of overlooking those guys, aren't we? That's one solid all around football team. Now that Houston's choking, and Atlanta got blown out, they're about the only all around solid team with an experienced QB proving they're for real. They seem to have it down on both sides so I guess they have a chance to screw up this story that's building up and and that's also likely the type of team that the Pats do not match up well with. The last standing defense.

But they also have not played Green Bay or the Saints. They got beat by Arizona, Dallas and Baltimore. I can see Baltimore, I can understand Dallas earlier in the season, but that Arizona romp 2 games ago....I don't know. It leaves questions. They beat up on Pittsburg and Seattle the past two games, which doesn't say much either, and are finishing it up against the Rams. Meh. Not impressed with their level of opponents.

And while I know the Patriots didn't really beat anybody that scary this year, we at least know the Pats can do it and win races. I just have a feeling the 49ers will get punched in the mouth by GB or the Saints. They match up well with AFC teams but they have been lucky to avoid any offensive powerhouses on their schedule with the exception of the "dream team"....lol. Eagles gifted them 3 turnovers. They won't get that lucky against GB.

Last edited:
I'm not giving up on PAT's D yet. At times they have been excellent.
They are learning to play team D. If they get to the SuperBowl
PATs' D should be playing even better. Some of the recent sacks/pressures
are because their secondary is covering better. There is hope. ;)

No, the Pats have a legit chance of going to the SB because there is no offense in the AFC than can keep up with them. Yes, the defense is porous as hell and is going to give up mega-points, but the Pats are going to be a threat against any AFC team. Baltimore has a great defense but not without it's weaknesses. Pitt got spanked by SF. Houston also has a great defense, but the main weakness of all 3 of those teams is lack of offense. I would not want to depend on Flacco if I had a choice.

I just don't see any team out there in the AFC that comes even close to NE's offensive machine. Now in the NFC.....that's a different story! GB, NO, Detroit...there's some very explosive offenses there.

When the Pats get to the SB, I want the Giants. Please Santa! Make it happen!

tim-tebow-miracle-win-over-jets-mile-high-denver-broncos-praying.jpg

I'm confused by some of the logic in this thread. What does a comparison between the Packers defense and the Patriots defense have to do with the likelihood of the Pats losing in the first round of the playoffs?

I'm confused by some of the logic in this thread. What does a comparison between the Packers defense and the Patriots defense have to do with the likelihood of the Pats losing in the first round of the playoffs?
Nothing, except that no one is saying the Packers will be one-and-done.

I think that the Patriots can win any game they play. I am sure that the defense could put together a spectacular game if the stars aligned properly. However, the defense does look really bad at time and I also believe that the Patriots could lose any game that they play.

So, I am just going to watch and hope for the best. One game at a time, otherwise you are going to drive yourself crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes