PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With Home Field advantage secured, Perfect Season pretense ends

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Tommy closing in on Peyton's TD record, I wouldn't doubt that BB has Tommy play. BB might be out to shatter everything. Even individual player stats.

Resting starters???? :rofl:

You haven't been paying attention if you think BB is even considering giving time off to the starters. Keeping the edge is key. Nothing is a sure bet in the NFL. Nothing. Look at the Dolphins yesterday. Vs. Baltimore??!!! :eek: Those guys will be coming to Foxboro next week pumped and boiling for a chance to knock off the only team that has a chance to eclipse their franchise record of 17-0. No way the Pats are going to take any early vacations.

Pedal to the metal all the way until February. There's time enough to rest when the day is done. Ain't done yet. Not by any stretch.

IF the Pats are up by 21 or more points, BB *may* replace key guys with back-ups in the waning minutes of the game(s). Maybe. But don't bank on it. Depends on the situation.

This season is special.

//

Try,... "Greatest Team Ever"
I'll say this. If the pats go 19-0 they will redefine what the definition of the modern day era means.

But of course debates will still flourish. ;)

With a week off before the first playoff game, and hopefully a week off before the SB, rest is a non issue.

If you go into the playoffs, all out of synced, it's not going to benefit you.

Not to mention last year when they had nothing to play for they put the starters in, and that was minus the opertunity for a perfect season, the media went crazy about that decision because it cost the Pats Harrison for the playoffs.

What are you talking about??????

extended rest is a good thing!!!!!!

Just ask the Colorado Rockies !!!!!! :)

i think the Pats will play to win them all; now it is more or less 'a must'

They will definitely play their starters, but for how long is the real question. I think against Miami it will be for the whole game unless they get ahead early which is very likely. Against the Giants I think you will see the starters come out in the 2nd half especially if you see the Giants doing the same as they may have nothing to play for either. If it's a close game that is a very tough call, but I think BB needs to be smart about this. They will obviously try to win the games, but you can't go risking a shot at another SB ring. Weather conditions could play a factor in the decision.

Last edited:
The 1996 World Champion Denver Broncos and 2005 World Champion Colts proved that resting players is the best move to make.

Needed rest? They have a bye week. The Pats will want to keep their starters sharp. The Patriots starters that are "dinged" WILL get needed rest. The ones that are healthy will play. It's all about winning. Week after week. That has never changed.

So now, if you see starters getting significant time next week, I think we will all be able to agree that this team is putting needed rest for the playoffs secondary to the chance to make history.

With today's victory the Pats literally have nothing else to play for in the regular season - with the exception of the elusive "Perfect Season".

All those of you convinced that Belichick values a Championship over the chance to make history will get a chance to find out next week when the pretense will be over. Since they have nothing to gain strategically for the playoffs over the next few games, they will be giving a lot of starting players a lot of rest, right? :rolleyes:

All season the players and coaches have avoided any public comments on their part speculating about a perfect season. Well unless we see some very significant time from the backups next week, regardless of the score, I think we'll know just how serious this team is about going 19-0.

Not that I ever had a doubt - I think they knew they had a chance after seeing what Brady and Moss could do together even in the pre-season. And once Spygate happened and there was public questioning of the legitimacy of their 3 Super Bowl rings, I had no doubt the team had committed themselves to making a lasting mark in the history books.

So now, if you see starters getting significant time next week, I think we will all be able to agree that this team is putting needed rest for the playoffs secondary to the chance to make history.

Those goals are NOT mutually exclusive.
To say the playing starters over th enext 2 weeks indicates BB cares more about the perfect season than the SB assumes, incorrectly by the way, that the best way to prepare for the post-season is to limit the playing time of your starters.
I think BB will play the starters the entire Miami game (with typical substitutions for the blowout factor) and through the first half against the Giants.
16-0 IMO has nothing to do with that. It is about preparaing for the playoffs.
I am sure that if we sit the starters at half time this week, and all of next weeks game, we will not win the SB. You do not win in the NFL by taking most of 3 weeks off, and losing your edge.
I would rather have a typical amount of injuries associated with 2 games than to have our players sit around and stagnate. The playoffs are about peaking. I hope the next 2 weeks aren't going to be about everyone posting under the assumption that BB is concerned about something other than winning the SB, when he goes out and does exactly what he should---take the next 2 games seriously---in order to have his team IMPROVE AND PEAK for the playoffs.

Here's what Brady said on the subject today:

Teams will rest their best players to protect them for the playoffs. Do you think you’ll play in the next two weeks? Or play much?

"I hope so. I hope I play every snap. That’s the most exciting part of my job is playing; [it’s] not practicing, I know that."

* He's a gamer. It might be a good idea to have some of the guys who've been inactive just about every week be active for a game so they get some game action in case thier needed in the playoffs. We might see more rotation of players. too. But I don't expect much of this until at least the 2nd half and the game is in hand. And if any player has any kind of injury they probably won't play either. Otherwise I want them to stay primed for the playoffs and not laid off for the playoffs.

I saw Brady's quote post game.
Ah a rational post.
Mods please ban Steve1 from Patsfans.

How crazy is it that Brady seemed like a lock to throw well over 50 td's and now he's got to have 2 good games to finish the season to break the record?

I'm sure all the Manning lovers will be in here ala Rice, to say how Seyton did it in 15 games.

You wont see BB resting the starters. I can almost "Anthony Smith" that!!!! We already have a bye week and that is more than enough time to rest. If BB rests his starters then they will have almost 3 weeks before another game. Players will be rusty much like the Colts of 2 years ago. BB rested his players in the 2nd Quarter of the Dolphins game 2 years ago...only because we did not have a bye week. You will probably see a motivated Patriot team the last 2 games in preparation for their first Playoff game. Lets see Brady get his 50th TD.
Good post. This crystallizes the reasons that no starters will rest unless injury requires it. The bye and home field advantage provide a built in rest with no travel through the AFC Championship. Given BB's history to play each game to win, it is unrealistic to think that rest is an option. He's going for the wins, and if the team were not undefeated, I'd say the same thing. The one thing you can bank on with Belichick is his systematically consistent approach to the game. Winning is everything.

Perhaps you haven't heard - you play to win the game.

they are going to use these next to games to explore options. kind of like a "real practice". everyone gets plenty of reps, and the coaches call some odd things

Yes Joe, I think you really aren't getting the attitude of BB and the players if you think that the only reason they'd play is for some record. There is a long list of other reasons:
- Improving
- Staying sharp
- Momentum
- Intimidation
- Pride

I'm not saying that they don't care about going undefeated, but your litmus test doesn't work. Don't discount pride, I think the thought of the 2007 New England Patriots losing under any circumstances would make these guys physically sick--they take this sh*t very seriously and are going to do anything and everything under their control to win every game they play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye