Welcome to PatsFans.com

With Friends like This......

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, May 2, 2011.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +255 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Bin Laden?s Death Likely to Deepen Suspicions of Pakistan - NYTimes.com

Bin Laden’s Death Likely to Deepen Suspicions of Pakistan

The killing of Osama bin Laden deep inside Pakistan in an American operation, almost in plain sight in a medium-sized city that hosts numerous Pakistani forces, seems certain to further inflame tensions between the United States and Pakistan and raise significant questions about whether elements of the Pakistani spy agency knew the whereabouts of the leader of Al Qaeda.

The presence of Bin Laden in Pakistan, something Pakistani officials have long dismissed, goes to the heart of the lack of trust Washington has felt over the last 10 years with its contentious ally, the Pakistani military and its powerful spy partner, the Inter-Services Intelligence.

2. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

After reading the description of the compound (fortress), I'm left with DUH. Anyone seeing this place with 18 foot walls topped with barb wire, has got to wonder, who lives there? Does Pakistan have these mansions all over their country?

3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +498 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

Hey that compound was eight hundred yards from the Pakistanie military acadamie of course they knew. Makes me wonder if there was a deal because Pakistanie intel was on the scene when it went down. We'll give you OBL if you stop the drone attacks.

4. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The Conspiracy theorist in me, believes that was his forced hiding place until it was beneficial to act on killing him.

Probably a stretch, but honestly, after all these years of the media and government telling us he's been in caves, etc... to find he's been living in a Mansion right under our noses, is a bit of a stretch.

Imagine the same scenario here in America, eventually someone coming and going into the complex will slip up and say something, tip someone off, or eventually want that money for reward.

5. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +498 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

Maybe he was becoming to much burden, he wasn't worth all the aggravation, so they let it happen.

6. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

Part of me hopes that Pakistan, in some way, finally gave up the goose and they are just saying it was all a US operation, blaa, blaa, blaa. Looking at the details here, it's clear that he was living here with somewhat the "okay" from the Pakistani Intelligence community.

The implications if this was "just a US" operation are far more ominous.

I highly doubt it. It begs the question: Is Pakistani air defense so bad that 4 non-authorized helicopters could strike so deeply into their country to complete this operation? This wasn't a fringe operation in the wild "uncontrolled" tribal areas, this was in near the capital.

7. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +518 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

I have been critical of the "unarmed drone" strategy in Pakistan, but I wonder if some of the recent attacks had turned up the domestic heat on the regime in Pakistan to the point where they were open to letting us take OBL out? In other words: if we could locate him we had the green light with the expectation that the drone attacks would wane (either by agreement or because their key objective had thus been met).

8. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

A little off topic, but since you mentioned drones. Just got an email from a friend showing soldiers getting ambushed from a couple of snipers on a mountaintop. The soldiers take this devise called a switchblade out of a backpack (looks like a model plane). Launch it, and it finds the snipers and blows them up. Pretty cool.

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

Pakistan is a delicate place. The people are part hardliners, and part secular. The government is part radical, and part civilized. The country has nukes, and it's leadership not overly stable. The bottom line is that while there are people we probably trust inside that government, we can't trust the government overall. I'd never call Pakistan a "friend", and they aren't a genuine ally either. I'm not sure they ever could be either. Act too friendly and the government could be overthrown by the radicals. Act to radical and the west will desert you and make deals with India. It's a delicate situation there.

From what I'm reading the US told absolutely no one about the intell on the compound, nor the different strike details. Nothing about the bombs they considered months ago, or the ground pound they opted for now. They told no one, they trusted no one. The Paki's apparently found out after the fact, or maybe while it was happening. That's probably why he (Osama) was still there. IMO, and just my opinion, the Paki's weren't involved in any way. The Admin left them out of the loop because they couldn't be trusted. They probably gave them the option of "saying" they were involved at their discretion. Certainly the Paki's wouldn't want to be looked at as untrustworthy, so they wanted to be "involved" in a public perception sense. so personally i don't think the Paki's had a clue about what we were doing. I do believe they knew he was there.

10. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +255 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

It's kinda like looking at a birthday present shaped like a guitar. "Gee a present. I wonder what that could be?"

11. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +518 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

It doesn't exactly give me warm fuzzies knowing that we can fly in helicopters and soldiers undetected that close to the capital. Who's watching the nukes?