PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wislon Opens Camp At CB, Scott @ Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady'sButtBoy

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Mike Reiss's first TC blog noted the corners on the first defense were Hobbs and Wilson with Hawkins and Gus Scott at safety. Interesting...

Brady'sButtBoy said:
Mike Reiss's first TC blog noted the corners on the first defense were Hobbs and Wilson with Hawkins and Gus Scott at safety. Interesting...

Gay is on PUP

Even with Gay on the PUP I don't think it would be to far of a stretch to have Hawkins and Harrison at safety and Wilson and Hobbs at corner.

I think it is more likely that they are trying to create versitility in the backfield, getting Geno some CB time and seeing what Scott has.

Garbanza said:
Gay is on PUP

I'm not sure that this line up has anything to do with Randall Gay. Asante Samuel is perfectly healthy and started at corner for the last two years. I wonder why he's not starting?

Means nuthin. Wasn't Klecko starting at NT last year on the first day of TC?

Before TC ends, we'll probably have a practice where Jarvis Green is kicking field goals.

Last edited:
Brady'sButtBoy said:
I was hoping sanders would emerge. Gus Scott has shown very little since we drafted this guy.

They offered Ty Law $7M to come play LCB for this season anyway. Since he passed on the offer perhaps they want to insure Samuel still feels as if he is fighting for his starters job. Or maybe they would prefer to move him to nickle and are determined to see if they have anyone else who can step up as a starting CB.

Asante's wife had there third child this spring. I know family is important but he skipped the entire offseason program here to train at home reportedly for that reason. Perhaps not the best long term plan for your children's future when you are entering your contract season and coming off a really mixed season in which you looked pretty good late after sucking donkey balls for most of the regular season for whatever reason.

Maybe I am in the minority but I really like Hawkins and I think he might bump Geno back to CB and maybe we groom Sanders for the starting role either later in the year or next season. I think Hawkins provides a lot of leadership and he is obviously smart as he came in last season and picked up our defense quickly and had an immediate impact on our secondary. I am not discounting the events that correlated with his arrival either i.e. Seymour and Bruschi coming back and Wilfork lining up an extra yard or so off the ball.

Last edited:
mgcolby said:
Maybe I am in the minority but I really like Hawkins and I think he might bump Geno back to CB and maybe we groom Sanders for the starting role either later in the year or next season. I think Hawkins provides a lot of leadership and he is obviously smart as he came in last season and picked up our defense quickly and had an immediate impact on our secondary. I am not discounting the events that correlated with his arrival either i.e. Seymour and Bruschi coming back and Wilfork lining up an extra yard or so off the ball.

So if Hawkins is going to knock Geno off starting FS (not going to happen), who is going to start the season at SS?

I like Hawkins as well. It's no secret how the defense improved after we picked him up.

I think you're way off base thinking he "bumped" Geno though.

I think Geno is playing CB b/c that is what he really is. He was only playing FS b/c we had a hole there in 2003 when we cut Milloy. Then he played so well there and the depth at safety never really improved so they kept him there.

Now it appears that we may have more options at safety so it makes sense for them to consider Geno at CB. We now have more depth at safety than we do at CB. It wouldn't shock me to learn that Geno is a much better CB than Samuel.

The question I have is who plays safety if Harrison doesn't make it back. I think the odds of him coming back at a level anywhere near as good as before he was hurt is slim to none. I'm certainly rooting for the guy but I hope we're not putting all of our eggs in that basket, so to speak.

Hawkins played SS last year but he would seem better suited as a FS. I don't put much weight in Gus Scott playing SS today. That guy hasn't shown us anything. I'd think that Tebuckey Jones or maybe James Sanders are more likely.

The other name to watch out for us Chad Scott. At this stage in his career, I'd think Scott would make a much better safety than a CB. He's certainly got the size to be a good safety but can he tackle?

Last edited:
Let's not read too much into this. Every year there are guys tried all over the place to develop a general, team-wide versatility. That's all this is, IMO.

JackBauer said:
So if Hawkins is going to knock Geno off starting FS (not going to happen), who is going to start the season at SS?

Hmm Rodney? He wouldn't be knocking Geno from the starting safety he would be bumping Samual to the Nickel back slot. Thus allowing Geno to play his natural position. You're looking at in the wrong context.

Rodney will be ready for the first game according to Michael Smith.

Last edited:
PYPER said:
I like Hawkins as well. It's no secret how the defense improved after we picked him up.

I think you're way off base thinking he "bumped" Geno though.

I think Geno is playing CB b/c that is what he really is. He was only playing FS b/c we had a hole there in 2003 when we cut Milloy. Then he played so well there and the depth at safety never really improved so they kept him there.

Now it appears that we may have more options at safety so it makes sense for them to consider Geno at CB. We now have more depth at safety than we do at CB. It wouldn't shock me to learn that Geno is a much better CB than Samuel.

The question I have is who plays safety if Harrison doesn't make it back. I think the odds of him coming back at a level anywhere near as good as before he was hurt is slim to none. I'm certainly rooting for the guy but I hope we're not putting all of our eggs in that basket, so to speak.

Hawkins played SS last year but he would seem better suited as a FS. I don't put much weight in Gus Scott playing SS today. That guy hasn't shown us anything. I'd think that Tebuckey Jones or maybe James Sanders are more likely.

The other name to watch out for us Chad Scott. At this stage in his career, I'd think Scott would make a much better safety than a CB. He's certainly got the size to be a good safety but can he tackle?

Exactly what I was saying. I believe a backfield of Harrison\Hawkins and Geno\Hobbs is better than Harrison\Geno and Hobbs\Samual. Hawkins was a steal due to his TC injury last year that allowed him to be on the street mid-season. I think he will be one of the starting Safeties come opening day. He played to well last season not to be.

I think this case may be a bit more than trying to build versatility through the roster. Geno was drafted as a CB, and still possess CB level cover skills even after his move. I think they may be giving him a real look at CB, to find out if he can in fact play there. With Gay PUPed and a couple young safeties who need a look in TC, why not move him there for a bit and see if a switch is in his future? I think he still stays at safety, but it's worth a look, at the very least, to see how he fares at CB.

Wilson will not go back to CB except on a temporary basis if injuries pile up. He's been a good FS for years in the NFl. It would weaken them at 2 positions.

tailgater said:
Wilson will not go back to CB except on a temporary basis if injuries pile up. He's been a good FS for years in the NFl. It would weaken them at 2 positions.

Not true at all. If Geno could perform at a high level at CB, it would significantly strengthen the CB depth, shifting Samuel to the nickel and Gay to the dime. With Rodney reportedly returning for the start of the season (according to Michael Smith at least), they could line up Hawkins next to Rodney, with Sanders and whatever depth they decide on behind them, and have a very solid secondary. Again, I don't think Geno will actually be moved, but I do believe they're taking a real look at it.

patsox23 said:
Let's not read too much into this. Every year there are guys tried all over the place to develop a general, team-wide versatility. That's all this is, IMO.
I think more people should listen to ps23.

Pats67 said:
I think more people should listen to ps23.

I don't think anyone is saying that they are definitly moving Geno, we are just speculating on what we think is possible.

Either way speculating about what our starting secondary will look like on opening day sure beats speculating about Ty Law and any other subject we beat to death over the past 6 months.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes