PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wish we could close games like Manning can

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the hell happened to Rivers?

Wasn't it three or so years ago he was considered one of the upper tier QBs?

I thought he was better than Eli, Schaub, etc. Now the guy's barely average, if even that.

I agree. I think Rivers has taken a turn for the worst. From What I gather at the SD board, He relies on his great ability and doesn't put in the work.
Unlike Brady who has better ability, but still studies after hours, or Brees that has less ability than both and puts in the time. Its just my theory.

I agree. I think Rivers has taken a turn for the worst. From What I gather at the SD board, He relies on his great ability and doesn't put in the work.
Unlike Brady who has better ability, but still studies after hours, or Brees that has less ability than both and puts in the time. Its just my theory.

Chalk it up to the Norv Turner effect. Every team he goes to becomes soft and complacent, from the top down. Apparently they won't fire him until he goes 14-2, though, so his job should be safe pretty much forever.

i think the nfc is going to completely shred whoever reps the afc in the sb

Or it'll be like 2007 where some random crap-ass team will come out of the AFC and shock everyone.

Re: Broncos down 24-0 at half, come back to win

JC....My condolences...and here I didn't think any team would have a meltdown like the Pats did this week. Up 24-0 and end up losing. Didn't see game but did Rivers turn it over a few times. Like the OP said Manning is still capable of leading these legendary come from behind wins....and the bronco's ....that's all they did last year....sorry for the loss man...
On to next week

sd didnt even deserve the 24-0 lead

17 points were off denver mistakes

the score of tonights game without turnovers would have been 14-7 denver

Chalk it up to the Norv Turner effect. Every team he goes to becomes soft and complacent, from the top down. Apparently they won't fire him until he goes 14-2, though, so his job should be safe pretty much forever.

Always wonder why this guy is still coaching...

While this thread title is a little misleading, let's not even fool ourselves.
Manning is and will pretty much be the best at being the comeback king, its okay to admit it.

This is probably the only area I would give Manning the advantage over Brady in. We all know, being Patriots fans, that this guy is amazing and is never out of the game. I have no issue admitting that. When the Chargers were up 24-0, I sat there with a smirk because I knew it wasn't over. Rivers did help them out so-to-say but this is Manning's 47th comeback win, the most from ANY player ever.

He's done it time and time, it wasn't a fluke.

some of you continue to miss the bigger picture

it's not norv, it's not rivers, it's what always happens to san diego

in any major sport (well they only have two major sports)

they choke

it's a loser town

may as well just trade rivers for picks now, so he can go on to win a sb and cause sd even more embarrassment lol

Broncos didn't come back because of Peyton Manning. They came back because of Philip Rivers.

Dude, you must not of watched the game. Yes, the whole Bronocos team played hard but come on, Manning marched them right down the field and stuck the dagger in. His pocket presence and accuracy was amazing. I hate to say it, but he really should be considered as one of the greatest Qbs of all time. And yes, so should Brady.

Dude, you must not of watched the game. Yes, the whole Bronocos team played hard but come on, Manning marched them right down the field and stuck the dagger in. His pocket presence and accuracy was amazing. I hate to say it, but he really should be considered as one of the greatest Qbs of all time. And yes, so should Brady.

for me it's montana brady elway then peyton

I'm not sure a QB could have played better in the 2nd half than Manning did last night. Goober bugs me to no end but that was masterful work.

So the original poster wishes the Pats would dig themselves a three or four TD hole for Brady to bring them back which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't? What the original poster either chooses to ignore or admit, the reason why Manning closes like he did last night and in a failed attempt against the Pats is because he and the rest of his team play like crap for the first half and digs themselves a huge hole to dig themselves out of.

• The Broncos were down 24-0 at the end of the half last night (won 35-24).
  • Against the Pats, they were down 31-7 until late in the third quarter (lost 31-21).
  • Against the Texans, they were down 31-11 going into the fourth (lost 31-25).
  • Against Atlanta, they were down 27-7 going into the fourth (lost 27-21).
  • Against the Steelers, they were down 10-7 at the half and up 14-13 after the third (won 31-19).
  • Against the Raiders, they were up 10-3 at the half (won 37-6).

The problem with the Broncos this year is not the way Manning closes, but how he opens. Manning and the Broncos are great closers, but they are God awful openers. Against bad and average teams, they have a shot to either keep it close in the first half or dig themselves out of a hole. Against the better teams of the league, the hole is insurmountable.

The Pats desperately need to improve how they close out games, but I wouldn't want to emulate the Broncos and Manning.

Last edited:

for me it's montana brady elway then peyton
It's kinda like picking the best between a Bentley, a Lambo and a Bugatti.

So the original poster wishes the Pats would dig themselves a three or four TD hole for Brady to bring them back which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't? What the original poster either chooses to ignore or admit, the reason why Manning closes like he did last night and in a failed attempt against the Pats is because he and the rest of his team play like crap for the first half and digs themselves a huge hole to dig themselves out of.

• The Broncos were down 24-0 at the end of the half last night (won 35-24).
  • Against the Pats, they were down 31-7 until late in the third quarter (lost 31-21).
  • Against the Texans, they were down 31-11 going into the fourth (lost 31-25).
  • Against Atlanta, they were down 27-7 going into the fourth (lost 27-21).
  • Against the Steelers, they were down 10-7 at the half and up 14-13 after the third (won 31-19).
  • Against the Raiders, they were up 10-3 at the half (won 37-6).

The problem with the Broncos this year is not the way Manning closes, but how he opens. Manning and the Broncos are great closers, but they are God awful openers. Against bad and average teams, they have a shot to either keep it close in the first half or dig themselves out of a hole. Against the better teams of the league, the hole is insurmountable.

The Pats desperately need to improve how they close out games, but I wouldn't want to emulate the Broncos and Manning.

You know that the orignal poster wasn't insinuating that he wants Brady and the Pats to start off in a 24-0 hole. You even mentioned that you understood that we have a issue closing games out than typed this out.

He just mentioned the fact that this team cannot close games as of late. While the Patriots usually play with the lead for most of the game, if not all, we haven't been closing games and its been on the offense just as much as the defense. Sunday, it was the offense that failed to close the game. Defense forced Seattle into a 3-and-out and the Patriots crapped the bed.

Its not how you start, its how you finish. In all honesty, I'd take the way the Broncos game went over the way the Patriots game went anyday.

Last edited:
You know that the orignal poster wasn't insinuating that he wants Brady and the Pats to start off in a 24-0 hole. You even mentioned that you understood that we have a issue closing games out than typed this out.

He just mentioned the fact that this team cannot close games as of late. While the Patriots usually play with the lead for most of the game, if not all, we haven't been closing games and its been on the offense just as much as the defense. Sunday, it was the offense that failed to close the game. Defense forced Seattle into a 3-and-out and the Patriots crapped the bed.

Its not how you start, its how you finish. In all honesty, I'd take the way the Broncos game went over the way the Patriots game went anyday.

"Its not how you start, its how you finish."

Really, in the Broncos/Pats game, the Broncos finished stronger the Pats. The Broncos totally outplayed the Pats in the fourth quarter. Same can be said on how the Broncos outplayed both the Falcons and Texans in the second half. The Broncos got an 0-3 record for those strong finishes.

It isn't how you start or finish, it is how you play all 60 minutes. Slow starts and fast finishes like the Broncos had vs. the Pats, Falcons, and Texans are no better than the Pats had with the Pats having fast starts and slow finishes vs. the Seahawks and Ravens. All produced losses.

Again, the Pats have issues closing games, but emulating a team or QB who are having similar success (actually failures) because he cannot open games is just silly. The Pats need to finish strong in games, but saying you wish the Pats could close games like the Broncos is foolish.

Last edited:
Actually we've been very good at closing games from behind.

What we CAN'T do is hang on to leads when we start strong.

"Its not how you start, its how you finish."

Really, in the Broncos/Pats game, the Broncos finished stronger the Pats. The Broncos totally outplayed the Pats in the fourth quarter. Same can be said on how the Broncos outplayed both the Falcons and Texans in the second half. The Broncos got an 0-3 record for those strong finishes.

It isn't how you start or finish, it is how you play all 60 minutes. Slow starts and fast finishes like the Broncos had vs. the Pats, Falcons, and Texans are no better than the Pats had with the Pats having fast starts and slow finishes vs. the Seahawks and Ravens. All produced losses.

Again, the Pats have issues closing games, but emulating a team or QB who are having similar success (actually failures) because he cannot open games is just silly. The Pats need to finish strong in games, but saying you wish the Pats could close games like the Broncos is foolish.

Yes, I think everyone on the board knows and agrees with you but the original poster was just referring to our inability to close games, not be down by 3 TDs, not have to make comebacks each and every game... etc, etc.

His point was that he wishes we could start games out as fast as we have, maintain the lead like we have but then NOT let the lead slip away... like we have.

Yes, I think everyone on the board knows and agrees with you but the original poster was just referring to our inability to close games, not be down by 3 TDs, not have to make comebacks each and every game... etc, etc.

His point was that he wishes we could start games out as fast as we have, maintain the lead like we have but then NOT let the lead slip away... like we have.

I don't disagree with the overall point of closing games strong, but write that and don't start a thread saying they wish Brady would close games like Manning. The Pats don't need to close games like Manning because the Pats rarely need to score 2-3 TDs in the fourth quarter like Manning has had to this year. I would much rather close games like Matt Ryan or the other Manning who protects leads and not let the other team have opportunities to get back into the game.

If the Pats' problem this year was that they needed Brady to lead a lot of come from behind victories, this thread would be valid. They have problems protecting multiscore leads. Totally different way to close out a game. Starting a thread to compare Brady to Manning to push a totally unrelated issue is not a strong premise.

Last edited:
The Patriots better start winning from now on...the Broncos have an advantage over us because they play in a Terrible Division. Our Head to head win against them is huge so we better hold serve with wins. I have a feeling injuries are going to bring some of these Teams back to the pack.

The Patriots better start winning from now on...the Broncos have an advantage over us because they play in a Terrible Division. Our Head to head win against them is huge so we better hold serve with wins. I have a feeling injuries are going to bring some of these Teams back to the pack.

The AFC East isn't much better than the AFC West. And I think the Pats have a good shot at sweeping the AFC East. The Broncos have the AFC North which is the best division in the AFC. The Pats have the AFC South which is a bad division other than the Texans. Although the NFC South is much easier than the NFC West (the Pats only have two games left there though). I don't think the Broncos' schedule is any easier than the Pats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back