Welcome to PatsFans.com

Wipe Swap: Is this how you view the "other" side?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

I never, ever watch this show, but I came across this bit that was uploaded to Youtube. I'm curious what some of you think about it. Do you view people in the same way? I think this fits some people's general opinion of the "other" side. What say you?

Part 1

YouTube - Stephen Fowler Wife Swap Highlights 1/2

Part 2

YouTube - Stephen Fowler Wife Swap Highlights 2/2

I've got my opinions on the charactors involved, but I don't want to spoil it for the people who first watch it. Enjoy!

2. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,925 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

Reaction to this thread title is: Enough with all the "Use less toilet paper to save the environment" threads! :D

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Guys like that are EXACTLY why there was an American Revolution. The pompous azz needs the shiit kicked out of him in the WORST way. Arrogant, self-important snob douche-bag.

... I'm being nice about it, too.

//

4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,028 / 15 / -8

Wow. That guy's a dikc by my standards, and I don't have any. I will say the overweight undereducated etc. etc. from Missouri was probably one of the stronger people I've ever seen on that show. Assuming it wasn't scripted (fairly big assumption,) I'd say we're just dealing with a class distinction. As in, he didn't have any.

PFnV

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

I think that guy is the "typical" moonbat. The hick from the sticks was real sweet, and amazingly polite, but yes darlin, you need a diet. You are about 100 pounds too heavy.

I loved the part where the arsehole says to the camera "I don't force my son to do anything he doesn't want to" (paraphrasing), to which the son says "but I don't want to do this daddy, and you tell me I have to". Um, nah, you don't force him at all.

6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Total dickwad, and of course you know he lives in San Francisco. :rolleyes:

//

7. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,925 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

Obviously either a freak or an act. Either he's trying to be the next Simon Cowell and make money off of that (never been done on TV before?) or he is a true piece a crap.

That's the TV biz - - ya gotta have some sort of schtick or elese you don't get on - - look at the Hell's Kitchen Chef guy who practically commits a homicide every week, or some of the freaks on American Idol or that Amarossa beast from the Trump reality show.

Even people who USED to be famous have been doing "Look What A FREAK I AM" reality shows like the late great whatshername who died of the overdose a couple of years ago, or Ozzy Osborn, etc.

People who take these reality shows seriously also take Pro Wrestling seriously.

8. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

I don't watch any reality shows. I think they kill brain cells. While I think the camera does alter the participants personality, I don't think it strays too far from their core being. That guy is an everyday loser I think. Camera or not, I don't think a person transforms themselves into something they're not, just cuz one's around. I think they act a little nicer, a little meaner, or a little more or less me. To say those things to someone, that guy has to be an arsehole in real life.

9. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +34 / 3 / -2

#80 Jersey

I’m fairly certain that the producers of this show encourage the characters to act this way. I read in an interview somewhere that this guy was told to really pour it on thick. He may just have gone overboard with it... Having a little too much fun letting loose some underlying feelings maybe?

Or he could just be a condescending, pompous little doushbag who needs a good ol' fashion arss kicking. :D

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Letting loose is one thing, but to call someone names like he did, or to ridicule so cruelly, is certainly an instictive trait. I could never, unless it was scripted, and even then I think I'd have trouble doing it, say those things to someone. Could you? If they scripted the show, which isn't implausible, then sure. Personally, I just think that's how the guy really is more or less.

11. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +34 / 3 / -2

#80 Jersey

I certainly couldn’t say that stuff... but like I said, this guy probably had some underlying feelings that he has been suppressing for the sake of being PC. I’m guessing the show just gave him (what he thought) was a green light to let out his true feelings.

I find reality TV sad in general. I hate it that our culture has gone so down hill, that we view other peoples misfortune/drama as one of our highest forms of entertainment. It's a shame that good writing and storytelling goes the way of the birds (The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, Six Feet Under) due to lack of viewership, while shows like "WIN FLAVOR FLAVS HEART" are pumped out by the dozens because people can’t get enough of it.

12. BSR

BSR In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -1

In the end, I hope he realized that he isn't as intelligent as he thought he was.

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I actually watched that episode with my wife...we live in SF.

both of us commented on what a dikhead the father who lives in SF is. Quite frankly, we generally keep those idiots to 'their' side of the city. San Fran is a very diverse place, but its also interesting how the entire city is connected through a MUNI transport system, the rails connect 3 of teh 4 quadrants of the city to each other, and the entire bay through the BART system. The Marina/Pac heights area is isolated, with only the bus lines and touristy cable cars. Its like a gated community within the city.

All and all, I wanted to kick that uppity father in the face. He is everything that is wrong with humans in general.

"Destiny is a fickle B!tch" -Benjamin Linus

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Somehow I missed that you're from SF. You're lucky, as I think Harry Boy and Foggy would agree. We went there for our honeymoon and cruised north through wine country and back to the coast to Oregon. We almost stayed there and sold the house and business. Too far from Fenway, Moosehead Lake and Foxboro, though.

I feel exactly the same way you did about that so-called "father". I have to admit a bit of voyeuristic pleasure when I watch that show with my wife and daughter (she's ten...my daughter, that is!). We were all kinda freaked out by that azshole, and my wife, who's a hard-core leftie (really kind and smokin hot, I must say) was really upset by both parents' claim to represent the "left". She thought out loud, "I hope people don't think liberals are like that prick! They are both entitled, spoiled jackazzes, but the wife was pretty shocked by his behavior. I wonder how they survived the backlash from their "friends" after the show was aired. The guy's a cartoon, kinda like...I don't know who.

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I LIVE in SF, and am FROM NH...thus the Beantown sports connection. We get the Sox vs As series at least once a year, and there are actually dedicated Patriots bars in SF. I love New England, but...its super tight out here. Tahoe, Wine Country, Monterey, etc.

Back to the swap, I agree...those people are not liberals, they are A-holes.

on the flip...how about the family hoping their son would get a Paintball scholarship?

has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

if so, I should've went for a Mike Tyson's Punchout scholarship.

16. BSR

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -1

To be honest, while I think that guy was WAY over the top, he displayed many of the elitist and I-am-more-enlightened-than-you crap that is often associated with lefties. Its one of the stereo types and obviously not representative of everyone in that group.

One of my clients likes to classify MA Democrats into two pools. The first group he classifies as the Dorchester Democrat, which he counts himself as one. The second group is the Brookline Democrat. I'll let you guess which group he would put Fowler in.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  17. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

There are others in between, too. Like every other group, there's ranges. My wife's a typical big government feminist who thinks pregnant teens are lazy azzholes who screw real poor people out of welfare. She's big on the disabled and elderly but doesn't have much time for able-bodied losers. She also likes hanging at the Rod n Gun Club watching her Bills on the Dish while everyone else is watching the Pats. What a loser! She's also a dead-eye with a 30-odd six.

I'm a Goldwater conservative pacifist athiest. I hate surveillance cameras, generational welfare, Jets fans, Plaxico Burris, and lazy people. I love my kids (not yours), working hard, bow season, and giving Fogbuster crap.

Neither me nor my wife fit neatly into any category. Cartoons like your friend's democrats and the dick on Wife Swap don't represent anything, IMO.

18. BSR

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -1

While I agree with you that nobody fits neatly into any category, I must disagree with you that the dick on wife swap doesn't represent anything. He is a representation of everyone and everything that he associates himself with. He represents those that choses to be friends with him. He represents everyone that choses to employ him. To a lesser degree he represents those who share the same views as him, especially when he makes a point to say that he represents those views. Now maybe there is a very weak correlation there but there is a correlation none the less.

Unfortunately, people get pigeon-holed into neat categories weather they like it or not. In the case of conservatives they have to deal with bing grouped with the Limbaughs or Harry Boys of the world. Liberals get the Barney Franks and this guy.

19. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I see your points.

20. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 22 / -19

The father's parenting style is authoritarian, not nurturing. Of course there are progressive people who are not nurturing, but in general I think that father's style is more typical of bad parenting among conservatives than liberals. Usually, liberal bad parents are those who set no boundaries while conservative bad parents are those who set unreasonable boundaries.