Welcome to PatsFans.com

Winter has been world's warmest on record

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WEATHER/03/15/warmest.winter.reut/index.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- This has been the world's warmest winter since record-keeping began more than a century ago, the U.S. government agency that tracks weather reported Thursday.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said the combined global land and ocean surface temperature from December through February was at its highest since records began in 1880.

The next-warmest winter on record was in 2004, and the third warmest winter was in 1998, Lawrimore said.

The 10 warmest years on record have occurred since 1995.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +715 / 20 / -30

Is this historical? must be talking about climate change.. waiting for the first post of the day about this snowy March day and how this debunks "global warming".

3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +738 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

See the 4-8 inches (of snow ;)) thread and you'll see you're a "redneck" for such an arguement.

I'm not sure what your point is, we know the earth's been warmer recently, the cause and the solution (if any and if needed) are the issues.

4. Patters

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +990 / 2 / -9

God Help Us

Dirty American Conservative White Christian Bastards

6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 10 / -14

Since 1850 the temp has been increasing.

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

Yeah, that's right, just as the Industrial Revolution got underway and man started polluting the atmosphere, temperature have been increasing. What a coincidence!

8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I know this is a 'proof the Earth is warming thread' rather than a 'what should we do about it thread;' but people who are concerned about the negatives to Global Climate Change initiatives should really consider the fact that this wouldn't be the first time we've done something to repair or protect the environment. It wasn't exactly devastating to the hunting industry when Bald Eagles were protected. McDonald's and Burger King didn't go under when they abandoned Styrofoam packaging. When was the last time you heard mention of that awful, awful LA Smog? Where did it go? Did Bush steal it? Did you even notice that the coolant used in AC's and fridges today is massively less damaging to our air than the stuff used 15 years ago? I bet the food in your refrigerator is just as cold and your car gets just as cool as back then. Hundreds of discrete things have been done over the years towards the goal of protecting the environment and the world has NOT come crashing down. Why is there the assumption that solving this problem will lead to economic ruin when all of the other stuff hasn't? Don't sensible people consider the track record?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  9. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

GJA, BelichickFan, et. al. are right. Pinning this on global warming is just as wrong as using a snowstorm to "prove" that there is no global warming.

10. Patters

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

A snowstorm is a local event so is entirely different, but come on Pujo, "The 10 warmest years on record have occurred since 1995." It's certainly a legitimate piece of evidence is arguing that global warming is a fact.

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +990 / 2 / -9

The Democrats Will Save Us

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +738 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Just like global cooling was a few decades ago.

Turn the sun down.

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

Global cooling was a theory embraced by almost no one. It was even less popular than any of these: global warming does not exist; humans do not contribute to global warming; the dangers of global warming are minimal; global warming might be good.

The only theory I know of that seems to be embraced by a broad-based group of scientists worldwide is that humans contribute to global warming, and we must do something about it.

14. Patters

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

Almost Harry. If you said The Liberals Will Save Us, I would have been truly impressed by your insight.

15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +738 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

I know - turn the sun down.

16. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I know you're tired of bullsh!t solutions, and Patters is the wrong one in this thread (I'll get to that), but saying dumb sh!t doesn't help either. You start to sound like a rube when you say dismissive crap like that and don't actually answer the point.

17. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

BINGO!! What you said, dude!! :rocker:

There are oil reserves of *HUGE* amounts in northern Alaska and northeast Siberia. The Alaska pipeline is how old, how many billions of gallons have come from it! All oil comes from the remains of living beings, as far as I know.

There are well-preserved remains of tigers and mammoths and many other creatures considered to be indigenous to much warmer climes than the modern north's frigid climate.

Conclusion: the earth has had climate changes before, will have them now and in the future. That's life.

Chicken Little "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" alarmist extremism does not help matters. We need to see how to improve what we can, and make adjustments to our personal lives accordingly.

Meanwhile, Al Gore says: "So, Tipper, you want to take the Hummer or the helicopter to the 'Carbon Footprint' summit 40 miles away??"

//

18. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Patters, this is a measure of US temperatures. The trend is "global warming", not "American warming".
    The damning thing in the article is this, however:

19. Patters

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

"This has been the world's warmest winter since record-keeping began more than a century ago, the U.S. government agency that tracks weather reported Thursday.

I think world refers to the globe, as in global warming. What makes you think the article is talking about only the US? And what makes you say I'm wrong in this thread?

20. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm sorry, I misread that - you're correct.