PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Winning 19 Straight is next to impossible today

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point it's one straight then two virtual byes and a fairly easy last game before the normal playoffs. It's 7 straight now, not 19 straight, and two of them are nothing.

If the last two weeks haven't convinced people that there's no such thing as a virtual bye in the NFL, I'm not sure what would.

Every game is losable. The stat geek analysis for going undefeated that had us at .92 or something to win every game was laughable. Should we crush Miami? Sure. Should we beat up on the Jets pretty good. Yes. Will we? Probably. For sure? No way.

If the last two weeks haven't convinced people that there's no such thing as a virtual bye in the NFL, I'm not sure what would.
Baltimore (healthier than before defensively) and Philly are way better than Miami and The Jest.

Baltimore (healthier than before defensively) and Philly are way better than Miami and The Jest.

We're way better than Baltimore and Philly, and look what could have been.

They don't give out anything at the end of the year, of course, for "better" or "best." This is the national parity league. A couple of freak turnovers or a bad call, and you're done. There's no such thing as a virtual lock, is all I'm saying.

We're way better than Baltimore and Philly, and look what could have been.

They don't give out anything at the end of the year, of course, for "better" or "best." This is the national parity league. A couple of freak turnovers or a bad call, and you're done. There's no such thing as a virtual lock, is all I'm saying.
You may be right - but I knew there was a chance we could lose to Baltimore or Philly; there is NO WAY we're losing to Miami or The Jest. None.

At this point it's one straight then two virtual byes and a fairly easy last game before the normal playoffs. It's 7 straight now, not 19 straight, and two of them are nothing.

Any given Sunday, my friend. Regardless of the outcome of the next 4 games, they will be prepare for each one with very similar intensity. In a league such as this, and with a coach like Belichick, there are never "virtual byes."

I think the key to understanding your thoughts (which some clearly did not) is the "burning the candle" thing. Trying to remain undefeated puts more pressure on them and this is felt mentally and then physically. As much as they claim to be playing one game a time, there is an undeniable pressure to maintain the entire season.

I think that if Bill sees this fatigue build up too much he'll be the first to give them slack for losing a game. He needs to monitor it and respond appropriately. Giving them Wednesday off once one such sign.

He has to respond to this pressure. It's wise to recognize it and not let it destroy the post season.

There is a hangover effect even from just playing that deep (SB) into the season. The guys do not have the long break that the other teams have. So far this is shaping up to be a monster year for what it could take out of them. Everything has a price.

Yes, that is what I was thinking. Trying to keep the streak going is tremendous pressure. So, as you pointed out, BB gave them some extra healing time this week. He knows how blasted they feel right now -- it showed in the games vs. Philly and especially vs. the Ravens. The Kyle Boller Ravens should *never* have been able to hang with the Pats, but the D, especially, has some old men as key cogs (Junior, Tedy, Rodney); plus Seymour isn't 100%, Adalius is playing hurt, D backfield is sketchy sometimes.

So, I think BB knows all this and is willing to sacrifice something now in order to win the Big One. And I support that.

//

How the hell is it impossible by the way?

How is a seven game win streak with 5 games at home impossible?

It's not impossible. But it's also not just some 7 game win streak. Be realistic - it's the final 7 where the pressure is starting to get to them, and they are required to take George Foreman blows to the body every week in one Rumble in the Jungle after the other.

You may be right - but I knew there was a chance we could lose to Baltimore or Philly; there is NO WAY we're losing to Miami or The Jest. None.

There is a way to lose to anybody, isn't there? It's by mentally letting go while the other team rachets it up and comes at you physically.

I won't take anything for granted because mental focus is hard to command every moment of a long season. If you hit the other guys on their big day, when they are at their peak, you are toast. That Miami game three years ago proved that.

I don't know why people seem to be slow to get that point. The other guys are coming with their best games of the year and the toll for rising to that level week after week is cumulative.

The question of 19-0 vs. a Super Bowl is becoming increasingly moot, as others have alluded to here--once the playoffs start it's the same deal. Further, "any given Sunday" aside, it's, let's say, EXTREMELY unlikely the Pats would lose to the Jets or Miami even if they were resting guys.

But it's true, I think, that there's also no question being undefeated creates a mental strain. Terrell Davis was on espn last week and was very honest about the huge relief he said he and other guys felt when the Broncos lost after they were whatever they were--what was it, 12-0 or something. So the playoffs will pack greater pressure if the Pats are going for a Super Bowl AND history.

And you know what? I think that's OK. They ARE going for history, and I think this team is uniquely qualified to shoulder the expectations that are on them now. They'll rest in the offseason, physically and mentally. And maybe they'll lose sometime along the way here. But if they do it, this strain will be well worth it--when the clock counts down on their 4th Super Bowl win, it will feel like nothing else ever has.

The best thing the Pats could do is to come out on fire against Pittsburg, give the Stillers more than they expected, and wilt the Stillers' confidence.

CONFIDENCE is the name of the game. The team that has it will win more often than not. Not talking about false confidence, self-promotion, or puffing out the chest. Real confidence is the WILL to get it done, and the WILL to force the body to do it.

If the Pats can do this against the Steelers this week by a CONVINCING victory -- another 38-14 blowout -- they may well wilt all opposition remaining on the schedule.

The question is: do the Pats have that will to get it done, and in convincing fashion??

//

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing