PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Winning 19 Straight is next to impossible today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogbuster

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So it would not bother me in the least for the Pats to lose one and still win the Big One. Sure, it'd be great to run the whole table, and we may still do that, but I wouldn't burn all the candle now in an effort to set records. The only record that counts is the Trophy. I think the mental drain on the team now is even more than the physical drain. They are in totally uncharted territory.

Got PATS!! Wha -- Hoo- Wha !!!

//

So you want them to win every game? But, if that can't happen, you'll gladly settle for a 15-1 season and a Super Bowl? Way to go out on a limb there...

At this point it's one straight then two virtual byes and a fairly easy last game before the normal playoffs. It's 7 straight now, not 19 straight, and two of them are nothing.

the common dominator between the eagles game and ravens is that the opposing d-backs got away with grabbing, holding on the pats wr's.

I expect the offense to put up 30 plus points this week.

there is much to prove this week and i'm almost thinking with you at this point to get the one loss to get the drain out of the way.

it's hard to figure out what this team is because it's a what have you done for me lately league.

So it would not bother me in the least for the Pats to lose one and still win the Big One. Sure, it'd be great to run the whole table, and we may still do that, but I wouldn't burn all the candle now in an effort to set records. The only record that counts is the Trophy. I think the mental drain on the team now is even more than the physical drain. They are in totally uncharted territory.

//

It doesn't help matters that the league continues to monkey around with the schedule. Three consecutive night games and a fourth game shifted to "twilight" at 4:15 is bound to take a big toll.

So you want them to win every game? But, if that can't happen, you'll gladly settle for a 15-1 season and a Super Bowl? Way to go out on a limb there...

What I *want* is another Superbowl. I'd LOVE for them to take all 19. I'm pulling for them to do it. It's uncharted territory. No has ever done it before. I'd love for the Pats to be the one.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

:D

:mad:

//

It doesn't help matters that the league continues to monkey around with the schedule. Three consecutive night games and a fourth game shifted to "twilight" at 4:15 is bound to take a big toll.

This night game thing is not a small challenge. For the sake of ratings the NFL has put the Pats into a difficult position. But, then again, if the Pats can rise to this occasion, it will seal the deal on "the greatest dynasty ever". For the Pats to take on all other teams AND the ratings god, too, and win it all would leave no doubt in anybody's mind.

Go Pats!!

//

let's say difficult ma not impossible

How the hell is it impossible by the way?

How is a seven game win streak with 5 games at home impossible?

How is a seven game win streak with 5 games at home impossible?
5 home games and 1 neutral field game. It's December 6th and if we go to the SB the only road trip we'll make between now and then is a short jaunt down to NY.

Think of this :

Last year before/including Indy we had :

Away (Jax)
Away (Ten)
Home (Jest)
Away (SD)
Away (Indy)

This year we have :

Home (Pitt)
Home (Jest)
Home (Miami)
Away (NY)
Bye
Home (playoffs)
Home (playoffs)

Notice the difference ? :)

Last edited:
It’s just so lovely.

So it would not bother me in the least for the Pats to lose one and still win the Big One. Sure, it'd be great to run the whole table, and we may still do that, but I wouldn't burn all the candle now in an effort to set records.

I think the key to understanding your thoughts (which some clearly did not) is the "burning the candle" thing. Trying to remain undefeated puts more pressure on them and this is felt mentally and then physically. As much as they claim to be playing one game a time, there is an undeniable pressure to maintain the entire season.

I think that if Bill sees this fatigue build up too much he'll be the first to give them slack for losing a game. He needs to monitor it and respond appropriately. Giving them Wednesday off once one such sign.

He has to respond to this pressure. It's wise to recognize it and not let it destroy the post season.

There is a hangover effect even from just playing that deep (SB) into the season. The guys do not have the long break that the other teams have. So far this is shaping up to be a monster year for what it could take out of them. Everything has a price.

Thanx for saving me the trouble of starting a separate thread. I have been researching the Dolphins' 1972 season for comparison and here is what I have found:

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/history/1972perfectseason/1972seasonreview.asp

I know there was no bye week, but I was curious about how much of a non-standard schedule they had. *Note - I was unable to find start times for these games, any help would be greatly appreciated. As this link shows they played a Monday night game at home on 11/27/72 and a Saturday game at home on 12/16/72 vs Baltimore (Colts). Everything else was a Sunday game, and since Sunday Night Football didn't exist then, those were all day games. Now they may have been 1:00 PM EST games or 4:00 PM EST games, but this was certainly much less stressful for their bodies to deal with than what the Pats have had to endure. Combine the omnipresence of the Internet and the 24/7 news outlets and this has been a very trying season.

While I certainly don't want to see the Pats lose, in one respect you would have to think it would be a great relief.

If the Pats DO go undefeated this season, it may be the greatest accomplishment in the history of sports. Maybe some Colts fans can chime in to offer how intense and stressful almost going undefeated was for them.

Personally, even though we are undefeated I have enjoyed other seasons more than this one. This has been an exhausting year or me, I can only imagine how difficult it has been for the players. BB giving the players an extra day off may have less to do with the age of some of the players, and more to do with the overall stress.

Last edited:
Thanx for saving me the trouble of starting a separate thread. I have been researching the Dolphins' 1972 season for comparison and here is what I have found:

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/history/1972perfectseason/1972seasonreview.asp

I know there was no bye week, but I was curious about how much of a non-standard schedule they had. *Note - I was unable to find start times for these games, any help would be greatly appreciated. As this link shows they played a Monday night game at home on 11/27/72 and a Saturday game at home on 12/16/72 vs Baltimore (Colts). Everything else was a Sunday game, and since Sunday Night Football didn't exist then, those were all day games. Now they may have been 1:00 PM EST games or 4:00 PM EST games, but this was certainly much less stressful for their bodies to deal with than what the Pats have had to endure. Combine the omnipresence of the Internet and the 24/7 news outlets and this has been a very trying season.

While I certainly don't want to see the Pats lose, in one respect you would have to think it would be a great relief.

If the Pats DO go undefeated this season, it may be the greatest accomplishment in the history of sports. Maybe some Colts fans can chime in to offer how intense and stressful almost going undefeated was for them.

Personally, even though we are undefeated I have enjoyed other seasons more than this one. This has been an exhausting year or me, I can only imagine how difficult it has been for the players. BB giving the players an extra day off may have less to do with the age of some of the players, and more to do with the overall stress.

Good post and spot on!

I couldn't agree more. And the last two games haven't made it any better. Against the Colts, even down by 10, I knew they were going to win. I don't know how. I wasn't so sure Monday night.

The object of every team is to go undefeated in January and February. If you go 18-1 and your only loss is your final game, your season is a failure.

Belichick always stays focused on the next game, but does there come a time when you focus your attention on the prize?

//

So.... 19 games is "next to impossible" but 21 games is not?

:wha:

Last edited:
I want them to beat the Steelers.

That will satisfy me for this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes