PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Windy on sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
be low 30s by game start, mid 20s by game end. So, yeah, temps dropping. Winds 15-20 -- pretty strong out of the west -- don't know how that lines up with how the stadium is situated.

cross-wind

GilletteStadium_all.gif

Strong wind would affect both QBs, but both throw a hard ball, so its mitigated.

The benefit to us would be if the wind is strong enough to mess with Flacco's deep ball. That could turn some of those bombs into INT and shrink the field. That's a huge part of their offense.

At the same time, we might not be able to complete pinpoint deep balls like we the ones to Welker or Vereen from this past Sunday either. So, maybe it's a wash.

20MPH doesn't seem bad enough to really be a huge factor, but maybe I'm wrong.

IDK, it will affect Flacco more for several reasons:

• Flacco's deep passes go long, but they are far from lasers passes. They are meatballs a lot of the time where his receivers have to make really acrobatic catches. The wind can get under passes like that and send them way off target.
  • Flacco's accuracy on short to intermediate passes are not great and he doesn't throw lasers at that range either.
  • Brady throws with pinpoint accuracy and throws lasers at the short and intermediate range. Even if the wind takes his ball a bit, they are less likely to be way off target.
  • It will probably affect Brady's deep pass, but the Pats will rely on the deep pass far less than the Ravens probably will.

Brady has thrown great games in hurricane type winds and blizzards. I think it will affect him less than Flacco.

Last edited:
wind chill of 10-15 at game time

One concern is that the Ravens played in very cold weather at Denver. They won't be phased by it.

Last edited:
Let's hope it is not windy. Yes, the Pats are a better short-passing team than Baltimore, but if it's windy then Baltimore will play their safeties closer to the LOS and a lot of man-coverage to negate the short passing game. The wind acts as kind of an extra deep safety or two.

If it's windy, Pats need to use the run game with an effective play-action to free up receivers from the tight underneath coverage.

Regards,
Chris

IDK, it will affect Flacco more for several reasons:

• Flacco's deep passes go long, but they are far from lasers passes. They are meatballs a lot of the time where his receivers have to make really acrobatic catches. The wind can get under passes like that and send them way off target.
  • Flacco's accuracy on short to intermediate passes are not great and he doesn't throw lasers at that range either.
  • Brady throws with pinpoint accuracy and throws lasers at the short and intermediate range. Even if the wind takes his ball a bit, they are less likely to be way off target.
  • It will probably affect Brady's deep pass, but the Pats will rely on the deep pass far less than the Ravens probably will.

Brady has thrown great games in hurricane type winds and blizzards. I think it will affect him less than Flacco.

Rob, do you see any of what Chris in Sunnyvale is concerned about?

It just stands to reason if the deep ball is tougher to complete due to wind, the D creeps up and then the gaps get tighter on all the short throws, favoring the QB who is more accurate on short/intermediate throws and who throws with a lower trajectory and higher velocity.

On accuracy it's TB by a mile. Bullet throws I think favors him too, but it may be closer.

It also favors teams whose bread and butter plays are normally those intermediate routes, who are used to making the right reads and executing them, and that is CLEARLY us.

Last edited:
Here's a Flacco pass that.....Oh wait......

Attachments

• footballballoon.jpg
    footballballoon.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 230
wind chill of 10-15 at game time

Sadly, I don't believe the cold will effect the Ravens, as they did pretty well in Denver, last week.

The game always come down to turnovers, and mistakes. Ravens has always played tough against the Patriots. Not too many blowouts in their matchups.

Probably same will occur on Sunday.

I just do not want to see a Harbaugh vs. Harbaugh SuperBowl..

I was AT the Freeze Bowl a few years back...the Ravens popped that first run for a TD and never looked back...coldest day I EVER spent at a NE sporting event...I second that emotion on a Harbaugh/Harbaugh bowl...the hype would be atrocious

I was AT the Freeze Bowl a few years back...the Ravens popped that first run for a TD and never looked back...coldest day I EVER spent at a NE sporting event...I second that emotion on a Harbaugh/Harbaugh bowl...the hype would be atrocious

Aint gonna happen, Belichick gonna beat both Harbaughs on the way to Title 4 and show these Harbaughs what hes all about.

you wern't at the titans game in 04 or 05 i think it was where it was 4? 2nd coldest NFL game in history...i was at that ravens blowout as well...50 yard line..12 rows back..and they blew it...:(

Last edited:
I think it may have a little to do with I was younger 10 years ago (no shyt, Sherlock, right?) and at this point in my life, when I get cold I get chilled to the bone...I spent the next day after that Ravens game under the blankets with the heat cranking...it's the feet...once they go to ice it's over...I had electric socks on that day and STILL felt like I was walking on ice stubs on the way out...anyway, here's my plan...I got the insulated LL Bean boots,the thinsulate long johns, wool socks, camouflage cargo pants,the old Reebok fleece gloves with the breath flap to self warm your fingers..then the blue Pats hoodie, a Reebok double logo toque and this year's wool jacket --------------------------->

nfl-wool-blend-varsity-jacket-patriots-d-00010101000000~6812119w_alt1.jpg

nfl-wool-blend-varsity-jacket-patriots-d-20121018160747327~6812119w.jpg

I have about ten Patriots coats and jackets...but I LOVE this one...the wind absolutely stops and does not penetrate.Am I a ridiculous geek?...why yes...yes I am...and PROUD of it too. The most important part of attending NFL games at Foxboro in January though is definitely the clothing aspect, as far as I'm concerned.

long johns under jeans and shirt......sweatshirt with jersey over and my jacket with my winter hat and snowmobiling gloves with the wool socks and winter boots..nice and warm

25 mph winds on sunday. Could impact the passing game significantly .

Alright a weather thread.
Looks like the wind will die down at night to under 15MPH.

It appears the wind will be dying off as the game goes on, while the temperature plunges. So deep passing will be difficult in the first half and may be much easier in the 4th Quarter.

The last weather report I saw prediocted 20-25 mph winds at kickoff withthe temperature in the mid thirties, By games end the temperature should be in thhe mid twenties and the wind willhave fallen off to around 15 mph from the West.

So the wind will be cross winds in the stadium the whole game blowing the ball back into the field when heading toward the open end; and blowing the ball out of bounds heading toward the closed end.

I always found that I kept warmer when I kept my core temp up.

1. UA balaclava (head is toasty the whole game, but you look a sperm in a Woody Allen movie)
2. UA Cold Gear base layer
3. Winter Cycling Jacket (it's a tight rubbery layer)
4. Ski Jacket
5. UA Cold Gear tights
6. Ski pants
7. Wool socks & boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back