PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Win over Pats will prove Brees is better than Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure Brees had over 5,000 yards.

Ok, I screwed up. He was first in two categories. He was first in yards in 2008.

So I screwed up on one stat and you screwed up on five or six.

What are these rankings for? They aren't QB rating, yards, TDs, completion percentage, or any other major category. Brees has never finished first in a major QB category other than TDs in 2008.

Here are the link to QBs by QB ratings per year:

NFL Stats: by Player Category

Brees 3rd, Brady 9th

Brady 1st, Brees 11th

Brees 4th, Brady out

Brees 2nd, Brady 5th - But the season is far from over and the trend has been Brady rising and Brees dropping.

Brees has out performed Brady sense 2006. That is no hit on Brady, Brady has the rings.

Brees has out performed Brady sense 2006. That is no hit on Brady, Brady has the rings.

Really?!? So it was Brees who broke the season TD passing record in 2007? It was Brees who won the MVP in 2007? Here I thought it was Brady.

As for this year, there is still a third of a season to go and right now Brady has more yards (303), fewer INTs (3 less), and is only behind Brees by 2 TDs. And that is with Brady coming off of a major injury. If Brady gets 300 yards on Monday night, he will tie the NFL record for most consecutive games with 300 more yards. Since September, Brady has had 17 TDs and 4 INTS while Brees in that time period has had 13 TDs and 6 INTs. So Brady since he has gotten back on track has been out pacing Brees. If that trend continues, Brady will be the better QB for this season than Brees.

Brees was better than Brady in 2006. Brady had one of the best seasons for a QB in NFL history in 2007 so he obviously had a better season than Brees that year. Brady was out last year. Brady and Brees are pretty close right now with Brees throwing a few more TDs than Brady and a slightly higher completion percentage, but Brady has thrown for more yards and have less INTs. Depending how the rest of the year goes for both, either could finish ahead of the other.

I don't know how anyone can argue that Brees has been better since 2006 with Brady's 2007 season and since is skewed because of an injury to Brady that knocked him out last year.

Also,

although this guy isn't, Drew Brees is one of the classiest people in the league. He and his wife have done a ton of work for the community down here, and lifted many spirits.

But that's enough of that...GO PATS!!!!

Brees is a great QB in the NFL without question, although I expect any author claiming he might surpass Brady, this year or as a career, faces an uphill battle in convincing others (then again, some authors are claiming Favre is on track for MVP, and I would take Brees over Favre in a heartbeat). I suspect AJ Smith has questioned whether that was his Curtis Martin deal in letting him leave the Chargers. Frankly, if the Pats didn't have Brady, I would love to see him as QB for the Pats. He's a smart QB with good accuracy who knows how to win. He also appears to be a good guy and part of a "feel good" story in the Saints post-Katrina. If I had to pick a team to cheer for other than the Pats this year, it would be the Saints.

Unfortunately, this week the Saints are in the way of the Pats so I hope the Saints suffer a resounding defeat. It will be far less satisfying than a Colts loss would have been, but it will have to do. Hopefully, both teams leave the game in good health and can meet again in February.

Here are some stats comparisons between the two.

2006-2009 TDs

Brees - 110
Brady - 94

So Brees has only 16 more TDs in that time period and Brady missed the entire 2008 season. And Brady has only had one season with less than 23 TDs and that was 2001.

2006 - 2009 INTs

Brees -55
Brady -26

Brady in the two and a 2/3 years he played, he averaged 8.7 INTs. Brees has averaged 13.75. Brady would have had to have thrown 19 INTs in 2008 if he played the year to equal Brees (the most Brady has thrown is 14 in his career in a single season).

Brees kills Brady on yards. Brady has 11,384* (or 3795 yards per year) and 16,656 (or 4164 yards per year). But yards don't win games, scoring and minimizing turnovers do. Brady beats Brees in the two most important categories. I assume if Brady was to have thrown 15 TDs and 20 INTs in 2008, Brees would be the leader in those categories, but what is the chances of Brady having a career low for TDs and a career high for INTs last season if he was healthy?

I think Brees is the third best QB in the NFL, but other than yards you don't have anything to prove that Brees is better than Brady. Most of the numbers are in Brady's favor.

* I didn't count the one drive for Brady in 2008 in that number.

Last edited:
Really?!? So it was Brees who broke the season TD passing record in 2007? It was Brees who won the MVP in 2007? Here I thought it was Brady.

As for this year, there is still a third of a season to go and right now Brady has more yards (303), fewer INTs (3 less), and is only behind Brees by 2 TDs. And that is with Brady coming off of a major injury. If Brady gets 300 yards on Monday night, he will tie the NFL record for most consecutive games with 300 more yards. Since September, Brady has had 17 TDs and 4 INTS while Brees in that time period has had 13 TDs and 6 INTs. So Brady since he has gotten back on track has been out pacing Brees. If that trend continues, Brady will be the better QB for this season than Brees.

Brees was better than Brady in 2006. Brady had one of the best seasons for a QB in NFL history in 2007 so he obviously had a better season than Brees that year. Brady was out last year. Brady and Brees are pretty close right now with Brees throwing a few more TDs than Brady and a slightly higher completion percentage, but Brady has thrown for more yards and have less INTs. Depending how the rest of the year goes for both, either could finish ahead of the other.

I don't know how anyone can argue that Brees has been better since 2006 with Brady's 2007 season and since is skewed because of an injury to Brady that knocked him out last year.

nice post, enjoyed the read. I was only pointing out if you want to do numbers ranked by the NFL Brees has done better and more consistent, any fool I think knows Brady is better, but I would not discount this guy, he is very very dangerous, and like brady you can bet he will show. Brees will not have a off day when we play, and anyone that thinks that hasnt been following his stats. As much as Pats fans say we have not faced a true offense, know brady is 0-2 vs brees, and you have never faced anything like the saints offense. This is new ground for both of us

Last edited:
nice post, enjoyed the read. I was only pointing out if you want to do numbers ranked by the NFL Brees has done better and more consistent, any fool I think knows Brady is better, but I would not discount this guy, he is very dangerous, and like brady you can bet he will show. Brees will not have a off day when we play, and anyone that thinks that hasnt been following his stats.

Considering Brady missed the 2008 season and came into this season with a lot of rust for missing an entire season, I don't know how you can measure his consistency in such a short period in which he was out for more than a quarter of it (since this year, the fourth year, is only 2/3 of the way done).

Brees is dangerous. Never said he wasn't. Brees is the third best QB in the NFL and in my mind the only one close to Brady or Manning. I think over the last two months though, Brady has been playing better and is more consistent. Doesn't mean that Brees won't out perform him Monday night. But if Brees does, it doesn't mean he passed Brady either.

Odds are pretty good in 2-3 years, Brees could be the best QB in the NFL with Brady's and Manning's careers starting to wind down. Maybe sooner. Granted he isn't all that much younger than Brady (a little over a year and a half and just about three years on Manning).

Last edited:
Ok, I screwed up. He was first in two categories. He was first in yards in 2008.

So I screwed up on one stat and you screwed up on five or six.

Oh dude, I'm a Pat fan.

Just saw the mistake and pointed it out.

Drew Brees is the most underrated player in football. Man took the Saints to the NFCCG his first year...we're talking the Saints, hello!(no small accomplishment) Threw for over 5000 yds with no run game or defense last season, leads the perrenial #1 offense....but yet no MVP yet? Get outta here!:confused:

Brees is the best QB in the league never to win a SB,....YET.

When he does, he will get all the props of being great like the other 2 greats.

Drew Brees is the most underrated player in football. Man took the Saints to the NFCCG his first year...we're talking the Saints, hello!(no small accomplishment) Threw for over 5000 yds with no run game or defense last season, leads the perrenial #1 offense....but yet no MVP yet? Get outta here!:confused:

he got MVP 2008

Last edited:

I think I remember a QB that won the SB in his first starting year . . .

HAHAHAHAHA, wow dude seriously? Brees threw for over 5,000 yards last year with his top 3 receivers injured most of the year. CAN... YOU... COMPREHEND... THAT? How many times has Brady thrown for over 5,000 yards? Even in that great 07 record setting year throwing Techmo bowl type passes to Moss he still didn't throw for over 5,000..... but Brees did throwing to 3rd and 5th string receivers. Put Brady on last year's Saints team and I bet he looks like garbage.

I know this may be hard to read and fully comprehend so read it over and over quite a few times before responding. Let it sink in the greatness of Breesus.

This post is pure garbage and ignorance.

Brady is/will always be better than Brees. When their careers are over, Brady will be known asone of the best of all time, Brees won't...

I can't believe this is even being discussed.

EDIT: You say Brees threw for over 5000 yds and Brady couldn't evne do it in his record season....

Brees had 635 pass attempts that year for 5069
Brady had 578 and only threw for 4806 (263 yds less than Brees did)...

Pretty sure if Brady got 57 more pass attempts ro match Brees amount of pass attempts that year, that it's safe to say, BRady would have eclipsed 5069 yds..

Can...YOU....comprehend...THAT?

Last edited:
I think I remember a QB that won the SB in his first starting year . . .

Not playing for the Saints he hadn't. That speaks volumes because of the history of FAIL of this organization. Also, after Katrina destroyed the city, no small accomplishment considering the distraction of that.

Brees is the best QB in the league never to win a SB,....YET.

When he does, he will get all the props of being great like the other 2 greats.
Brees isn't in the mould of Manning or Brady yet. Surely Saints fans would know by now that what will define Drew Brees circa 2009 is the post-season success or lack of in January?

The reality is the Colts probably have the number 1 seed in the AFC sewn up baring a dramatic collapse and the Saints have a battle to remain the number 1 seed in the NFC with the Vikings breathing down their necks.

The question is, NFC Championship game.. Saints vs Vikings.. in either dome.. Favre vs Brees, who would you bet the house on?

If Brees performs in something of that pressure and intensity and indeed wins a Superbowl, then he starts to enter the equation.

Last edited:
Here are some stats comparisons between the two.

2006-2009 TDs

Brees - 110
Brady - 94

So Brees has only 16 more TDs in that time period and Brady missed the entire 2008 season. And Brady has only had one season with less than 23 TDs and that was 2001.

2006 - 2009 INTs

Brees -55
Brady -26

Brady in the two and a 2/3 years he played, he averaged 8.7 INTs. Brees has averaged 13.75. Brady would have had to have thrown 19 INTs in 2008 if he played the year to equal Brees (the most Brady has thrown is 14 in his career in a single season).

Brees kills Brady on yards. Brady has 11,384* (or 3795 yards per year) and 16,656 (or 4164 yards per year). But yards don't win games, scoring and minimizing turnovers do. Brady beats Brees in the two most important categories. I assume if Brady was to have thrown 15 TDs and 20 INTs in 2008, Brees would be the leader in those categories, but what is the chances of Brady having a career low for TDs and a career high for INTs last season if he was healthy?

I think Brees is the third best QB in the NFL, but other than yards you don't have anything to prove that Brees is better than Brady. Most of the numbers are in Brady's favor.

* I didn't count the one drive for Brady in 2008 in that number.

About the yardage thing...Up until 2007, the Pats weren't a throw first team like they are now.

Brees has always been on a team where he threw the ball 45 times a game....

So that is irrelevalent. You have to look at percentages and whatnot, not actual amounts.

Brees isn't in the mould of Manning or Brady yet. Surely Saints fans would know by now that what will define Drew Brees circa 2009 is the post-season success or lack of in January?

The reality is the Colts probably have the number 1 seed in the AFC sewn up baring a dramatic collapse and the Saints have a battle to remain the number 1 seed in the NFC with the Vikings breathing down their necks.

The question is, NFC Championship game.. Saints vs Vikings.. in either dome.. Favre vs Brees, who would you bet the house on?

If Brees performs in something of that pressure and intensity and indeed wins a Superbowl, then he starts to enter the equation.

Brees now has a complete team around him, the sky's the limit. Not even mentioning the elite numbers Brees consistently puts up, check this clip out and tell me if Brees is not on the level of Manning and Brady. I still stand by saying he is the best QB in the league not to have won a SB.
YouTube - DrewBrees Sport Science

When we talk about the best team and best QB in the 2009 season, why do we patriot fans find the need to point out that we won the Super Bowl in the 2001, 2003 and 2004 seasons? Why is relevant that we won the Super Bowl five years ago? How many current patriots were playing on the 2004 team?
===============================

I believe that Tom Brady is the best quarterback in football in 2009. I believe that the four best teams in football at the moment are the patriots, the saints, the colts and the vikings. I don't know the order. No one does. What's more, I don't particularly care who is the best at the moment. What is important is who is the best at the end of the season, in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl. And if Brady and Brees meet in the Super Bowl, the best quarterback in the 2010 Super Bowl will be decided on the field. It won't matter who was better five years ago.
=================================

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back