PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Win over Pats will prove Brees is better than Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, from what I have seen on these forums is Pats fans are delusional and arrogant. Clinging onto past year's achevements. What the Pats and Brady did in past years aint going to help you come Monday. You have every right to be proud of what your TEAM has accomplished, but throwing that crap in Saints fans faces when talking about the CURRENT teams is just pathetic.

I am willing to forgive you guys though. Try again. I know you can do better.

ok let's not talk about the past but tell what have the saints done this year ?

the only thing they got on the pats this year is 3 more regular season win's

even a win on monday night will not give the saints a ring

and you wanna say that that brees is better then brady ?

come back when the playoff's start

and if the saints can get past donovan mcnabb and brett favre two QB's that are in the playoff's every year and know how to win come post season then you can talk forget about brady

By Pats fans' logic Dilfer is better than Marino

I know you're already banned for being a jackass, but I figured I would get this in anyway, for any Saints fans that think the same way you do...

Let us know when Brees sets pretty much every single season record a quarterback can possibly have, wins three Super Bowls, has two Super Bowl MVP trophies, and has a single season MVP. Only then can we put Brees in the same breathe as a Brady and a Manning. Brees is good, but as of right now he is still a "paper tiger". If you guys win the Super Bowl this year, we'll have this discussion again.

Brees would be an average QB if he was playing this year for the PATs. IMO
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the goal of every system? Put your player in an environment that maximizes their strengths and provides the least opportunity to illustrate their weaknesses? Any diligent coach would work in that fashion I would have thought.

I don't agree with your comment either. A quality player is a quality player. Drew Brees is a quality player.

Last edited:
There's a lot of great (and extremely nervous) Saints fans down here in NOLA. Most that I talk to really don't give a crap about message boards. This guy is probably a backwoods redneck who talks big, but's probably afraid to be in the Quarter after 10:00PM.

alright, that's good to hear because he was definately making me not like the Saints who I otherwise do like. I like Brees, I like Bush, I like Shockey, I like Colston. There's a lot to like there. I just don't like them this week.

The Saints have won 10 games or more in 6 games throughout their entire history. The Patriots have won 10 games or more for each of the past 6 seasons and should make it 7 this year. The Patriots are 34-8 over the course of the past 2+ seasons, and were 12-4 the year before that. The Saints are coming off of 8-8 and 7-9 seasons. Brady's record for the past 2+ healthy seasons:

12-4
16-0
7-3

For a total of 35-7.

Brees' record for the past 2+ healthy seasons:

10-0
8-8
7-9

For a total of 25-17.

You'll have to excuse me if I don't think winning this one game will somehow leapfrog Brees over Brady.

I'd say probably 99.9% of Pats fans both like and respect Brees as a very good QB. He's like The Anti-Rivers, IMO. And if he gets an SB ring on his finger, I'd be more than willing to move him up to The Anti-Peyton status! :D Okay...so I actually respect Peyton as a great QB, at least. Gack. And I even like some of his commercials. :eek: Don't tell anybody I said that...don't want to get my Pats fan card revoked! ;)

But Brees is not Brady (or Peyton) yet, and still won't be even with a win on Monday. Sorry!

Last edited:
The Saints have won 10 games or more in 6 games throughout their entire history. The Patriots have won 10 games or more for each of the past 6 seasons and should make it 7 this year. The Patriots are 34-8 over the course of the past 2+ seasons, and were 12-4 the year before that. The Saints are coming off of 8-8 and 7-9 seasons. Brady's record for the past 2+ healthy seasons:

12-4
16-0
7-3

For a total of 35-7.

Brees' record for the past 2+ healthy seasons:

10-0
8-8
7-9

For a total of 25-17.

You'll have to excuse me if I don't think winning this one game will somehow leapfrog Brees over Brady.

I don't think team records are as important as QB play. The Saints had a TERRIBLE defense prior to this season. Brees had to win shootouts everyweek, something extremely hard to do successfully. It's not Brees fault that the Saint's defense sucked, they lost in SPITE of Brees, not because of him. They simply couldn't win a game when Brees was less than stellar.

You could argue that Brees is inconsistent (other than maybe this year), he tends to have a lot of bad games mixed in with good and average games. The problem with his team is they stood NO chance of winning unless Brees was big. (Brees has had 31 games with 2+ picks and 10 games with 3+ picks vs Brady with 22 games with 2+ picks and 7 games with 3+ picks.)

Since 2002 the Saints are 7-24 in games that Brees throws 2 or more picks and 9-17 when Brees doesn't throw a TD.
Since 2001 the Patriots are 11-11 in games that Brady throws 2 or more picks and 16-8 when Brady doesn't throw a TD. The defense is the difference.

Last edited:
Brees threw 5,000 yards because he made 635 attempts. The '08 Saints defense was terrible, thus Brees had to try to win shootouts. Brady, on the other hand, had 578 attempts in '07, 57 less than Brees in '08. He actually had the higher yards/attempt (8.3 vs 8.0).

Don't give the "Oh, he had no one to throw the ball". His main targets that year (in terms of receptions and yards) were Colston, Miller, Shockey, Moore, Henderson, and Bush. So you had a top tier WR, a top tier TE, a decent to good TE (Miller), a good WR (Henderson), a great receiving RB (Bush), and a surprise nobody (Miller). Yeah, tough group there... That's way worse than the receiving group Brady had for years.... :rolleyes:

Nice post, but I'm just going to correct some things. Saints running game was at the bottom of the NFL that year because Bush and Deuce where out for most of the season.
Colston, shockey and henderson were also out most of the time, Lance Moore was the #1 receiver that year. So he was actually throwing to our 3rd string allot and Bush was not in much maybe 6 games. THe OL was heathy and is probably the main reason he could get the numbers and still hold the #1 offense category. But Drew did carry the season with moore alone almost.

Brees is no where near Tom's level, Manning and Brady are in a league of their own than it's everybody else.

here's an interesting tidbit that i didn't know Brady is 28-5 against NFC teams.

yes but brady is also 0-2 against a brees lead team. I not believe any of these kind of numbers mean anything in the NFL, always a new year and a new game.

I don't think team records are as important as QB play. The Saints had a TERRIBLE defense prior to this season. Brees had to win shootouts everyweek, something extremely hard to do successfully. It's not Brees fault that the Saint's defense sucked, they lost in SPITE of Brees, not because of him.

:confused2:

The Patriots won 10 games in 2005 with the #17 defense in the league and facing a tougher schedule than the Saints have faced in any of the past 3 seasons. Brees, on the other hand, led the Saints to 8-8 and 7-9.

I like Brees. He's a top 5 type of QB. He's just not up there with Manning, never mind Brady.

Look,

I'll prolly p!ss off a bunch of folks, but the whole comparison thing is a load of horse hockey. You cannot prove that one QB is better than another in a game like this.

All you can ever hope to prove is that, for this one, single game, under this one singular set of conditions, one TEAM will play better than the other when it counts, and walk away with a win.

Anything else is just jacking your jaws, and doesn't amount to squat. Individual stats only count for that individual. The team bases it's image upon what the win/loss column says. As coach has said from day one: You are what your record says you are. Nothing more, nothing lerss.

If the Saints win, it doesn't mean that Brees is better than Brady, anymore than a Patriots win means Brady is better than Brees. All it means is that fpr one game, one team was better than another.

End of story.

Respects,

Brees has another good 5-6 years in him and I dont see Payton going anywhere either.

But I think the comparison of Brees being better than Brady after one game is ridicules. I know allot of N.E. fans dont ready know how good Brees is , and why should they we have only played the Patriots 1x in 5 years. I know most of your fans will report after the game , watching it at the Dome that his is a top 5 QB.

But Brees is not better than Brady. Yes Brees has played on teams that did not have near the quality that Brady enjoys with BB, but its going to take 5 years and 3 rings to even make these guys equal.

Brees is a top 5 QB and a great guy and loves the game as much as Farve and Manning, but comparing him to Brady, thats going to take some time and has to be earned.

Last edited:
I like Brees and I said that the Chargers made a mistake when they drafted Eli and then traded him for Rivers. Brees is easily a top 5 QB and has been since before he got to New Orleans.

Like every team, Brees has had to face some adversity over the past 3 years with the different injuries to receivers and RBs there. Brees is an outstanding leader, much like Brady.

That being said, Brees is still behind Brady and Manning as top QBs in the league. The "TOP" QB moniker will probably rotate between the three until they retire.

I am looking forward to this game and I am pretty sure we won't have to worry about bogus pass interference calls by the refs deciding game.

Brady and Manning are on a different planet.

Brees has to prove he is clutch before he can be even a top 5 for me.

I would rate the next group as one that included Warner, Favre, Roethlisberger, Eli and Mc Nabb.

Then you have Brees, Rivers and Rodgers. Yeah they all throw for big yardage but I wouldn't trust any of them when the heat is on.

The Patriots won 10 games in 2005 with the #17 defense in the league and facing a tougher schedule than the Saints have faced in any of the past 3 seasons. Brees, on the other hand, led the Saints to 8-8 and 7-9.

I like Brees. He's a top 5 type of QB. He's just not up there with Manning, never mind Brady.

I add more to my post on page 5, showing exactly WHY I don't think QB records are all that meaningful. Here's basically what the post said:

Since 2002 the Saints/Chargers are 7-24 in games that Brees throws 2 or more picks and 9-17 when Brees doesn't throw a TD.
Since 2001 the Patriots are 11-11 in games that Brady throws 2 or more picks and 16-8 when Brady doesn't throw a TD. The defense is the difference.

The Saints have needed to win more shootouts than the Pats ever have (including '05). Since 2001 the Pats have averaged about 6th in the league in Points allowed (6 seasons in the top 6). Since 2002 Brees teams (Saints/Chargers) have averaged about 19th in the league in Points allowed (only 4 seasons in the top 15, non in the top 10). That's a HUGE difference.

While I'm not saying he is as good as Brady, he certainly is one of the best in the League. If I had to pick a franchise QB, I'd take him at #3 behind Brady and Manning.

Last edited:

nice post, but brees was not with the saints in 2005 he was getting shoulder surgery, and I think the schedule argument is a wash, because you would have to break down all of those team, cant be done. 2006 saints playoffs, they were healthy and the defense was #11, 2007-2008 saints lost most of there players to injuries and payton hadnt started building depth to the team. 2009 saints we are still the most injured team in the NFL at this point, we have 12 on IR tied with Buffalo and Detroit in that category. but our depth is better this year. And no at this time Brees should not be considered better than Brady or Manning at this point

nice post, but brees was not with the saints in 2005
Nowhere did he say he was. My goodness. Win a few games and this is what we get :eek:

I like Brees and I said that the Chargers made a mistake when they drafted Eli and then traded him for Rivers. Brees is easily a top 5 QB and has been since before he got to New Orleans.

Like every team, Brees has had to face some adversity over the past 3 years with the different injuries to receivers and RBs there. Brees is an outstanding leader, much like Brady.

That being said, Brees is still behind Brady and Manning as top QBs in the league. The "TOP" QB moniker will probably rotate between the three until they retire.

I am looking forward to this game and I am pretty sure we won't have to worry about bogus pass interference calls by the refs deciding game.

Don't you know this is New Orleans, these refs are right now having dinner at the Governors Manson, they are all but paid off. How do you think we got to 10-0 , because were good? No no no. We pay good money for those bogus call thankyou!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes