PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Win over Pats will prove Brees is better than Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
You play to win, that is the only reason to play.
I would agree that AMONG THOSE WHO DON'T WIN, all of the things they did while losing are the way to compare them.
However, there is a huge difference between the accomplishments you put up while losing and the accomplishments which contributed to a win.

I don't agree with that.
There is absolutely no way Barry Sanders should even be in the conversation of best ever. The same goes for Marino.
I certainly don't agree with this. Sanders was one of the best because of his explosiveness. Teams gameplaned against him and still failed to shut him down. If anything, the fact that the Lions lost a lot should be reason to be even more impressed, as teams tend to pass more from behind.

Stats that contribute to a loss are irrelevent. Look at Marino's stats for the last game he played in each season (ie the playoff game they lost, or the last game of a on playoff season---he had a few last week losses that cost playoff spots) and you will see a tremendously below average QB.
There is no way the definition of best ever is get a whole lot of stats to get your team to a playoff game and then play like crap and blame it on the team being no good.

This is just plain wrong. Brees and Manning were great in the Playoffs (Brees: 92.7 QB Rating, 5TD, 2 INT, 63.4% comp in 3 games, Manning: 85 QB Rating, 22 TD, 17 INT, 61.7% comp in 15 games). You have to also consider the teams they face in the playoffs. Manning has faced some extremely tough defenses. It's hard to put up gaudy numbers come playoffs because your playing against the best teams. Brady has had his stinkers in the playoffs, just like Manning.

Last edited:
This is just plain wrong. Brees and Manning were great in the Playoffs (Brees: 92.7 QB Rating, 5TD, 2 INT, 63.4% comp in 3 games, Manning: 85 QB Rating, 22 TD, 17 INT, 61.7% comp in 15 games). You have to also consider the teams they face in the playoffs. Manning has faced some extremely tough defenses. It's hard to put up gaudy numbers come playoffs because your playing against the best teams. Brady has had his stinkers in the playoffs, just like Manning.

QBs are held to a different standard then other position players.

Peyton is a future HoF QB. Peyton Manning is not a great post-season QB. 17 INTS in 15 playoff games is brutal. I give him credit fro 2006, but the real leader of that playoff run was the Colts D.

Brees is having a phenomenal year and is an outstanding QB. but great in the playoffs? As the leader of his team, he is 1-2 in playoff games...Who cares what his stats are.

Manning has not been great in the playoffs. Not even close.

Manning has not been great in the playoffs. Not even close.

Brady vs. Peyton in Playoffs:
Brady: 17 games, 372 of 595, 62.5% comp, 3954 yards, 26 TD, 12 INTs, 6.65 Y/A, 88 QB Rating. Game averages: 22 of 35, 233 yards, 1.5 TD, 0.71 INT.

Peyton: 15 games, 348 of 564, 61.7% comp, 4208 yards, 22 TD, 17 INTs, 6.88 Y/A, 85 QB Rating. Game averages: 23 of 38, 281 yards, 1.5 TD, 1.1 INT.

Peyton threw for more yardage while Brady threw less picks. Those numbers are a LOT closer than most people claim. I don't see how people can claim (from those numbers) that Brady has been unbelievable while Peyton has sucked. The stats don't back that up at all. I agree that Brady has been better in the playoffs, it's not by as big a margin as most people like to believe.

Last edited:
Manning has played in more wildcard playoff games against weaker competition skewing his stats. Minus wildcard games, the stats are 21 tds, 12 ints, 85.74 rating for Brady; 10 tds, 11 ints, 76.02 rating for Manning.

Brady has been much better.

Manning faced
2000: he faced Miami who was the #3 defense (PA), #1 Passing Defense (57.5 QB rating allowed) and #1 in INT (28).
2003: he faced a KC team ranked #7 in QB Rating and #3 in INT
2003: he faced a NE team ranked #1 in defense (PA), #1 Passing defense (QB rating), and #1 in INT
2004: he faced a NE team ranked #1 in defense, #7 in passing defense, and #7 in INT
2006: he faced a BAL team ranked #1 in defense, #1 in passing defense, and #1 in INT
2006: he faced a NE team ranked #1 in defense, #2 in passing defense, and #4 in INT
2006: he faced a Chicago team ranked #3 in defense, #3 in passing defense, and #2 in INT
2007: he faced a SDG team ranked #5 in defense, #1 in passing defense, and #1 in INT.
That's a lot of tough defenses.
In 15 games, he averaged facing a #9 defense, #8.6 passing defense, #11 in INT. He faced 4 #1 defenses, 6 top 3 defense, 7 top 5 defenses, and 9 top 10 defenses.

Brady in 17 games only faced 1 #1 defense, and 4 top 5 defenses. He averaged facing a #10 defense, #11 passing defense, #11.6 INT. His toughest games were:
2003: Pit #1 defense, #3 passing defense, #9 INT
2005: DEN #3 defense, #4 passing defense, #6 INT
2007: SDG #5 defense, #1 passing defense, #1 INT

Peyton's main struggles in the post season were due to the Pats league best passing defense and Ty Law (4 INT, 2 with KC in '06, 2 with NE in '03). The only "out of the ordinary" sinker was a game against the Jets in '02.

Now, I'm not trying to say Peyton has been better than Brady, but Peyton has had to face a LOT of tough defenses in the playoffs, tougher than what Brady faced. I'm not taking anything away from Brady, he had some stellar games against great defenses, but he didn't face nearly as many top of the league defenses as Peyton.

There's no doubt Brady's been better in the playoffs, but again, it's a lot closer than people want to believe.

Both Manning and Brady have played 7 non-wildcard playoff games against top ten defensive passer rating clubs. Brady's stats in those games 153 comps, 230 atts, 1712 yds, 11 tds, 6 ints, 93.6 rating. Manning's stats 172 comps, 282 atts, 1947 yds, 9 tds, 11 ints, 76.0 rating. It's true that Manning has played more games against number one passing defenses than has Brady, but it's also true that Manning has played all those games with first rate receivers. A luxury Brady didn't have until 2007.

Brees right now is the BEST QB in the NFL..... hands down.

I respect him alot.:)

It's clear in my mind that Tom Brady has had a better career than Drew Brees but Drew Brees is having a better season than Tom Brady in 2009.

Now, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that Tom Brady has had a pretty darn good year coming back from a blown anterior cruciate ligament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes