PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Win, FAIL, or Meh? USA Today Draft special: Nick Perry, S Hill, A Dennard, L James

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Win, FAIL, or Meh?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Two-rounder, no trades.

27. Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC
31. Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia
48. Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska
62. LaMichael James, RB, Oregon

re: Win, FAIL, or Meh? USA Today Draft special: Nick Perry, S Hill, A Dennard, L James

As much as I advocate trading or signing a big time RB, drafting one really makes no sense unless there is legitimate reason to believe Vereen and / or Ridley won't cut it. I loooove James as a prospect and think he is a better one than what we have, but having a third second day RB in two years is...weird.

Rest of the draft, love it. Ideal even. But James should be an interior line guy instead.

re: Win, FAIL, or Meh? USA Today Draft special: Nick Perry, S Hill, A Dennard, L James

Two-rounder, no trades.

Nick Perry is my binky, he's big enough to play for us at DE or OLB (in time and when we actully use a standard 3-4) and Pittsburgh seems to have an interest, which is something of a seal of approval on blitzers.

I'm not a fan of unproven WRs in the first round. I would take Streeter in the third round, a similar player.

We need a Safety, if McCourty is going to Safety then okay, otherwise, we don't need another CB.

No, to another high pick at RB. We need another tackling machine at LB, especially with Spikes coming off knee surgery.

Meh!

Last edited:

As much as I advocate trading or signing a big time RB, drafting one really makes no sense unless there is legitimate reason to believe Vereen and / or Ridley won't cut it. I loooove James as a prospect and think he is a better one than what we have, but having a third second day RB in two years is...weird.

Rest of the draft, love it. Ideal even. But James should be an interior line guy instead.

If you love him, draft him. End of story. The Chargers had Ladanian Tomlinson then drafted Michael Turner. Would they be better off right now if they had held onto Turner? Yes. The point is you cannot have too much healthy talent. Guys can get hurt. I have no idea about James as I haven't been following the draft this year. All I know is that a team that went 13-3 and made the Superbowl has the luxury to load up on talent. And in the end it's not really a luxury. If Ridley goes down, who do you turn to?

I respect all the draftniks who know about all these guys, and love the "game" of the draft.. personally cannot remember most of them and whether or not they might fit into our system...

I just follow along, and learn a bit..

Don't really care for the RB or WR pick (in favor of the latter, just not in the first round).

Two-rounder, no trades.

No room for another WR, and a rookie RB.

If anything, we'll add a veteran RB. And BB's track record with WR's is pretty bad.

I want no part of an option WR. The next complex route Hill runs will be his first. I think he is one of the most overrated players in the draft.

I want no part of an option WR. The next complex route Hill runs will be his first. I think he is one of the most overrated players in the draft.

Agree completely. No one even knew or cared about the guy until he tore up the underwear Olympics.

Two-rounder, no trades.

If Belichick didn't want Matthews at #26, he certainly won't want Perry at #27. He has the same assets as Matthews when moving forward (speed, lean, motor) but is even worse than Matthews when moving laterally or in reverse. Unless Belichick had an epiphany at his 60th birthday party, he just doesn't want guys that dive into the backfield with their hair on fire. Surprised that people continue to expect him to change year after year.

Hill is a fine prospect and is a reasonable value at #31, but that pick doesn't make much sense for the Pats after the Lloyd signing. Assuming Welker returns in 2012, it is simple math. Add up the anticipated catches for:
- Lloyd (70)
- Welker (90)
- Gronk (80)
- Hernandez (70)
Those are hopelessly low estimates for those guys if healthy and it still results in 310 catches. Even if Brady gets to 400 completions again (and that certainly doesn't seem optimal), that only leaves 90 catches for everyone else. Even with BOB underutilizing the RBs (something McDaniels won't do), they accounted for 37 last year. Fells should be good for 20 catches. Even gaming the projections like I did, that only leaves about 30-35 catches (2 a game) in POTENTIAL for WRs 3-6. So unless you are drafting Hill to sit and watch for a year or you want to de-emphasize one of the above players from the offense, that pick doesn't seem to fit.

Dennard OTOH seems like a classic Belichick pick (which may or may not be a compliment). Excels in zone, willing against the run, smart and instinctual. Not a turn-n-run guy though. Seems to fit with McCourty and Dowling.

Don't understand the James pick unless Vereen or Woodhead goes away. I could more understand a bigger guy more in line with Ridley than another smaller/quicker RB that excels in space.

Overall would have to rate this a meh since the Pats get good players (never a bad thing) but the fits leave something to be desired.

i'm going with FAIL.

WR in the first round = fail.

Let's try to make this easy. All speculation as to what/who the Patriots are going to draft is a fail.

I imagine some (expert?) gets right, but that % usually seems to be below 5%.

Agree 100%. I run better routes than Hill, and I'm an overweight 49 year old. I bet if you told Hill to run a down-and-in, he's say, 'HUH?". The only route he knows is "go deep". GREAT PHYSICAL SPECIMAN, but, there is a better chance of me being drafted by the Pats than Hill. And yes, I can rush the passer, especially if he's holding a cheeseburger.

Agree completely. No one even knew or cared about the guy until he tore up the underwear Olympics.

This is not remotely close to true. He was seen as a 2nd round prospect through the second half of the college football season.

Hope Bill doesn't draft into the USC hype and take Perry for reasons one of the other poster mentioned.

I'm done with Bethel Johnson experiments. Pass on Hill. Give me the game tape any day. Marvin Jones and Jarius Wright are my two guys.

I love Dennard as a slot corner. In 3 years everyone wil be looking for the perfect one. Dennard would put us ahead of the curve in that department. He plays the line better than anyone in this draft. He is the anti-Welker, not fast but quick and it spells doom for slot wr's. At cover corner that's a big negative after watching him getting eaten for breakfast by Jeffrey.

LaMichael James and Doug Martin have been thrown out there quite a bit. I like both of them and would be ok with the signing but to be honest Ridley is my RB right now. 5- 20 yard+runs on only 87 carries puts him up there to be one hell of a sleeper this coming season. Has the ability to make the first tackle miss,add a full back into the mix and that first missed tackle puts him 3-5 yards further out and into the open field. Very exciting times for the Patriots rbs Ridley, Vereen and Woodhead.

All in all I'd call it a meh.

Wide receiver Stephen Hill from Georgia Tech would be a major failure in the New England Patriots offense. Stephen Hill would be a good fit for the Oakland Raiders or San Diego Chargers offense.

Taking Dennard at 48 would suck. I don't care if he's smart and tough. He's also short and slow. Watching Patriot CBs chasing wide open receivers because they can't cover lost its sheen last season. James at 62 would be a reach, and he doesn't add anything to our RB backfield. Hill won't be there at 31, so that's a moot point.

FAIL to an extent.

I've watched Perry, I see boom or bust with him. If BB feels he's the guy, than I'm fine.

Stephen Hill. People either love him or hate him. He could be the best WR in this draft, and everyone is punishing him for playing in an option offense.

Ultimate Stephen Hill Highlights - YouTube

Notice two things: His speed, and nearly every throw he has to stop and adjust, his QB sucked and NFL QBs will hit him in stride. We don't need a WR, but I'd love to have him.

WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER CB DAMNIT! Fix the safeties and this group will be great. Arrington, Mccourty, Dowling, Moore, talk about a talented, young group of four.

Drafting a RB in rounds 1-2 is just plain dumb.

FAIL to an extent.

I've watched Perry, I see boom or bust with him. If BB feels he's the guy, than I'm fine.

Stephen Hill. People either love him or hate him. He could be the best WR in this draft, and everyone is punishing him for playing in an option offense.

Ultimate Stephen Hill Highlights - YouTube

Notice two things: His speed, and nearly every throw he has to stop and adjust, his QB sucked and NFL QBs will hit him in stride. We don't need a WR, but I'd love to have him.

WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER CB DAMNIT! Fix the safeties and this group will be great. Arrington, Mccourty, Dowling, Moore, talk about a talented, young group of four.

Drafting a RB in rounds 1-2 is just plain dumb.

Perry is definitely boom for me;)

I know how you feel about CBs, but Dennard has been viewed as a likely safety conversion where his tackling ability and middle of the field coverage skills will be best suited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down