OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Win, FAIL, or Meh?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wish the draft would have addressed the defensive line. Niklas in the 3rd I really like. I always thought Ward was a 2nd rounder and would all for taking him in the 2nd, he must be really moving up the draft boards.

That's about as bad as I can imagine.

Well, from my perspective it least it wasn't Allen Robinson at 29. :fencing:

Well, from my perspective it least it wasn't Allen Robinson at 29. :fencing:

Right. It's not as bad as I can imagine, it's just the worst I've seen.

Re. Robinson

2204535-empire_vader_beckons_l.jpg

Join me!!!

Overall, its a win even though I have seen better. I'm a newcomer to the Ward bandwagon but I too am starting to think he is the best safety in this draft so far.

Well he doubled up on TEs so that's good

p.s. I dont care about Lyerla's words

From a talent perspective its a meh. The fact that he didn't address the defensive line at all makes it a fail for me. Plus my complete and utter disdain for Colt Lyerla is pretty well documented on here. No thank you.

It was between meh and fail for me, but I ultimately rated it as a fail. Ward in the first is a reach as of right now and it doesn't even remotely address the DL. Not to mention Lyerla in the 6th? Go home, Christensen, you are drunk.

I think some people need to go back and re-watch Jimmie Ward. Definitely not a reach in the first round.

Any draft that doesn't address the issues on the DL is an UTTER fail for me. I think the captain said it best. Ward is more Sanders than Harrison, even if he pans out, he's a reach.....and DEFINITELY not a first round pick. After that I have a big problem with taking a QB that high, and I don't I'd rather not take an OLman at #33 that's going to be offensive line depth. That's too high.

The only pick in this entire draft is the Niklas pick at the end of the 2nd.

Any draft that doesn't address the issues on the DL is an UTTER fail for me. I think the captain said it best. Ward is more Sanders than Harrison, even if he pans out, he's a reach.....and DEFINITELY not a first round pick. After that I have a big problem with taking a QB that high, and I don't I'd rather not take an OLman at #33 that's going to be offensive line depth. That's too high.

The only pick in this entire draft is the Niklas pick at the end of the 2nd.

He's certainly worthy of a first rounder.

I don't know if Ward should be drafted in the first round, but I like that you're standing your ground in support of him.

I think some people need to go back and re-watch Jimmie Ward. Definitely not a reach in the first round.

Ward is more Sanders than Harrison, even if he pans out, he's a reach.....and DEFINITELY not a first round pick.

I don't know if Ward is worth a 1st round pick or not, but it's definitely not a huge reach. And for those deriding him as a "midget", for comparison:

- Jimmy Ward: 5' 10 6/8" 193#; 4.47 40 (unofficial), 38" VJ, 10'6" BJ; 3-cone and short shuttle not yet reported.

- Brandon Meriweather: 5' 10 5/8" 195#; 4.47 40, 1.53 10-split, 4.33 SS, 7.06 3C; 35" VJ, 9'3" BJ.

If Ward ends up being a more disciplined version of Meriweather, he would be a darn good complement to McCourty and well worth a 1st round pick. I certainly wouldn't rule it out at this early juncture.

I really like Ward, I just don't see the problem with Harmon starting.

Any draft that doesn't address the issues on the DL is an UTTER fail for me.

Wholeheartedly agree. I went back to double check if this was because the club had added defensive tackle(s) in free agency, but that was not the case in this exercise.

Nothing against Ward, but there's a much bigger need for the Patriots at DT that needs to be addressed.

Last edited:

I've been watching Ward and I'm sold on him as a legit NFL safety. He is very solid in coverage, and despite almost never being in the box is always around the play. He's a playmaker and a sure tackler who takes good angles.

Watching Bucannon it really isn't close to me, Bucannon hits but he over-pursues and is not much in coverage.

Ward may not have elite size, but he is about the same size as Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu. There aren't any Kam Chancellor/Sean Taylor sized guys worthy of taking high.

If the Pats want to target a safety later in the draft that is fine. I'd prefer they address other positions early, but if they are going to get one in the first two rounds I'd make it Ward, as it sounds like Dix and Pryor are going to be gone by then. I may prefer Ward to either of them anyway, I'm tending to agree with Manx that he's a very good player.

Well he doubled up on TEs so that's good

p.s. I dont care about Lyerla's words

I think his words and actions are indicative of a f#cking moron at best and a certifiable tin foil hat-lunatic at worst. I don't want either on this team, at any cost.

If the kid were the next Tony Gonzalez, maybe you'd consider it, but he's the next Jeff Cumberland, so who gives a *****.

Seriously, if this kid had no issues, he would be a borderline talent. Somehow his off-field issues have exaggerated his talent level.

This continuing propensity to imagine that we could garner #33 for Mallett amuses me.

I'm still trying to convince myself we could get a 3rd for'm.

Stop trying. There's no chance.

Seriously, if this kid had no issues, he would be a borderline talent. Somehow his off-field issues have exaggerated his talent level.

I can understand not wanting to bring him in because of his issues/personality, but you are off on his talent level. The kid is a specimen. Not a lot of 6-5, 250 lb players are taking snaps where they're receiving hand offs, and he also has good hands and shiftiness.

I've been watching Ward and I'm sold on him as a legit NFL safety. He is very solid in coverage, and despite almost never being in the box is always around the play. He's a playmaker and a sure tackler who takes good angles.

Watching Bucannon it really isn't close to me, Bucannon hits but he over-pursues and is not much in coverage.

Ward may not have elite size, but he is about the same size as Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu. There aren't any Kam Chancellor/Sean Taylor sized guys worthy of taking high.

If the Pats want to target a safety later in the draft that is fine. I'd prefer they address other positions early, but if they are going to get one in the first two rounds I'd make it Ward, as it sounds like Dix and Pryor are going to be gone by then. I may prefer Ward to either of them anyway, I'm tending to agree with Manx that he's a very good player.

I see Buccanon just as you do. Looks exciting, makes splash plays and is perfectly built but he is limited as a safety. That's not to say that he doesn't make some really good plays but, as you said, Ward is constantly around the ball.

Spot on analysis Hercules.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back