Rate this draft

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Three rounder.

1. WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee (6'4", 205)
2. DE/OLB John Simon, OSU (6'2", 260)
3. CB Nickell Robey, USC (5'8", 175)

Fail. Hunter in the 2nd would be fine, but not in the first. Ziggy Ansah (30), Jesse Williams (32), Matt Elam (37), Lane Johnson (38) and Jonathan Cooper (39) are all on the board. John Simon? Too stiff to be a 3-4 OLB, doesn't really have a position. Nickell Robey isn't my first choice, but not a bad pick.

My take:

1. Trade back a few spots from 29 if possible given everyone who is available. Grab OG Jonathan Cooper.

2. Trade up a few spots from 59 if possible. They have Tavon Austin going 57. He'd be my choice. Without the trade up, I'd go with Da'Rick Rogers (78). Note that Kawann Short is on the board at 77.

3. If I couldn't figure a way to move up for Kawann Short, then I'd go with Bennie Logan (95). Maybe I'd go with Logan anyway, who is seriously underrated.

Fail. Hunter in the 2nd would be fine, but not in the first. Ziggy Ansah (30), Jesse Williams (32), Matt Elam (37), Lane Johnson (38) and Jonathan Cooper (39) are all on the board. John Simon? Too stiff to be a 3-4 OLB, doesn't really have a position. Nickell Robey isn't my first choice, but not a bad pick.

My take:

1. Trade back a few spots from 29 if possible given everyone who is available. Grab OG Jonathan Cooper.

2. Trade up a few spots from 59 if possible. They have Tavon Austin going 57. He'd be my choice. Without the trade up, I'd go with Da'Rick Rogers (78). Note that Kawann Short is on the board at 77.

3. If I couldn't figure a way to move up for Kawann Short, then I'd go with Bennie Logan (95). Maybe I'd go with Logan anyway, who is seriously underrated.

Good call on Bennie Logan. Not a household name, but he's the guy on the LSU defensive line who I feel is most suited to the pro game. If we don't go DT in the first or second I'd love to have him.

I really like Robey (although ideally a little lower), but that doesn't make up for Hunter and Simon. Fail.

Big fail. But that tends to be the case for Drafttek.

I like the Hunter and Robey picks, just a round later for each. I don't like the Simon pick at all. I would call it a fail.

Cooper and Austin would be a dream come true in the first 2 rounds. Especially if they are able to upgrade through free agency at the safety position.

Wanted Jarius Wright with pick 126 last year but I think Austin will be even better.

I'd probably "quit" drinking if that happened.

As others have said, Hunter way too early.

I'm sure Robey will be a fine DB, but the Patriots need to get bigger with their DBs, not smaller. How many times in the last 2 years have QBs just lobbed the ball up in the air with tall WRs out jumping the smaller Patriots DBs?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back