2A OG Marcus Cannon, TCU
2B RB Jordan Todman, UConn
3A WR Austin Pettis, Boise State
3B OLB Chris Carter, Fresno State
4 ILB Greg Jones, Michigan State
5 OG Justin Boren, Ohio State
6 CB Buster Skrine, Chattanooga

I chose 'win.'

We get our highly coveted DE in Watt, and a 6'8" OT in Solder. 2 important issues are addressed in the early picks.

Cannon and Boren could provide us with fresh help on the O-line, and most of us wanted Skrine as a late rd CB anyway, so these issues are addressed also.

Pettis is a moderately so-so pick in the form of a WR, but could certainly end up being okay, as he did well at Boise St. Todman is a RB that could be a quicker change of pace back, and is fine in late rd 2 (imo). Maybe not the guy we wanted from Cal, but could be just fine, and certainly has talent.

Carter at OLB comes from a good defensive system at Fresno St, and I've seen him on plenty of our mid rd possibility lists. I really have no idea at all about the ILB from Michigan St, Greg Jones.

-----

I can obviously see why you chose 'Meh,' as I strongly considered it also, but to be honest, we'd still cover a lot of issues and address needs, get our 'sexy' popular pick in Watt (no, I personally don't think he's actually sexy), our high OL pick in Solder, and mid rd want in Carter (for some), and most of our late rd wants in Skrine at CB. We also add a decently shifty RB in Todman, a pretty decent WR in Austin who may be under the radar a bit, and help on the OL with Cannon and Boren.

It'd be 'good enough' for me, but I'd like a better OLB, and maybe another guy on the D-line. All in all, this may be a more reasonable and realistic expectation of what our final picks will look like, as we often don't end up being ecstatically happy at first.

It's actually not bad considering it's from one of those generic draft sites. I don't think Cannon and Pettis are fits for us though. Both players are too slow for our system.

To offense heavy at the top, one player on D and the rest o-lineman, rbs, and wr.

1A DE JJ Watt
1B OT Nate Solder
2A OG Marcus Cannon, TCU
2B RB Jordan Todman, UConn
3A WR Austin Pettis, Boise State
3B OLB Chris Carter, Fresno State
4 ILB Greg Jones, Michigan State
5 OG Justin Boren, Ohio State
6 CB Buster Skrine, Chattanooga

I'd rather turn todman and jones into an attempt to secure brooks reed...but a win...cannon pretty much ran with castonzo, carimi, and sherrod......get him into the 340's and he'll be a beast of an OG........good size to pound 3-4 NT's with

Last edited:
I really like getting Watt and Solder, so that gives a lot of leeway IMO.

Don't know much about Cannon.

A homerun for this draft for me would be to land Watt, Heyward and one of the top tackles.

I have to vote "Meh".

I love the Watt pick. I like Cannon and Pettis. Don't like the others. Absolutely hate the Solder pick.

(I wouldn't mind an OT high but I really don't like Solder)

Last edited:
Looking at how they have the rest of the draft falling out I would give this a Meh. IF the draft fell this way I would prefer the Pats going with:

17 - DE Watts
28 - OT Carmimi
33 - OLB Reed (Ingram is tough to pass on though, who they have going #41)
60 - DT Taylor (I think a steal at #60, they have him #73)
74 - RB Williams (another steal)
93 - OG/C Moffitt
125 - DE/OLB Romeus
159 - WR Cobb

I chose 'meh.' Looking at the players picked later, I would give a win if Pats got the following players:

17 DE JJ Watt – great pick
28 T Nate Solder – very good pick
33 G Marcus Cannon, TCU – good pick
60 RB Jordan Todman, UConn – hate pick give me CB Brandon Burton, Utah
74 WR Austin Pettis, Boise State – hate pick give me RB Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech
92 OLB Chris Carter, Fresno State – hate pick give me C John Moffitt
125 ILB Greg Jones, Michigan State – really hate pick give me DE/OLB Greg Romeus, Pittsburg
159 OG Justin Boren, Ohio State - ok pick but give me OLB Steven Friday, Virginia Tech
193 CB Buster Skrine, Chattanooga - good pick

Looking at how they have the rest of the draft falling out I would give this a Meh. IF the draft fell this way I would prefer the Pats going with:

17 - DE Watts
28 - OT Carmimi
33 - OLB Reed (Ingram is tough to pass on though, who they have going #41)
60 - DT Taylor (I think a steal at #60, they have him #73)
74 - RB Williams (another steal)
93 - OG/C Moffitt
125 - DE/OLB Romeus
159 - WR Cobb

Huh?? Almost all of the mocks have Cobb going in the 2nd rd. Todd McShay even went out on a limb and said the he projects BALT to take him with their first pick at #26. You have him at #159?? That'd be one hell of a steal! :)

Ravens Insider: McShay's mock: Ravens to draft WR Randall Cobb - Baltimore Ravens news, schedule, analysis and opinion - baltimoresun.com

Huh?? Almost all of the mocks have Cobb going in the 2nd rd. Todd McShay even went out on a limb and said the he projects BALT to take him with their first pick at #26. You have him at #159?? That'd be one hell of a steal! :)

Ravens Insider: McShay's mock: Ravens to draft WR Randall Cobb - Baltimore Ravens news, schedule, analysis and opinion - baltimoresun.com

I agree completely that Cobb wont be there in the 5th round. I was just using draft teks mock as a reference. And if they feel that Cobb is there when the Pats pick in the 5th round, I hope they take him. In their mock, they have Cobb going in the 6th round, pick 173 to the 49ers

Last edited:
I agree completely that Cobb wont be there in the 5th round. I was just using draft teks mock as a reference. And if they feel that Cobb is there when the Pats pick in the 5th round, I hope they take him. In their mock, they have Cobb going in the 6th round, pick 173 to the 49ers

I'm hoping that we grab him, he seems like a multi talented, versatile player who may be flying under the radar a little bit. I am guessing that he either goes in the late 2nd or early 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes