ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As always, not mine; here's the source.

1. MIN (via BUF) Ryan Mallet
2. SF: Andrew Luck
3. DET: Patrick Peterson

NE trade OAK's #12 and Logan Mankins to DAL for #4.

4. Marcel Dareus - Dallas shouldnt be finishing this high and Romo gets someone to protect his blindside and Bellicheck gets one of Sabans boys to anchor that 3-4

5. WAS (via CAR): AJ Green
6. SD: Robert Quinn
7. DEN: Adrian Clayborn
8. CLE: Cameron Heyward
9. BUF: Allen Bailey
10. CIN: Greg Jones
11. STL: DaQuan Bowers
12. HOU (via DAL): Prince Amukamara

[I'll continue from here on out with only the Pats' moves.]

NE trades #38 (CAR) and #61 and an undisclosed 2012 pick to SEA for #18

18. Julio Jones - Julio has been through his ups and downs in college and has been under the microscope since his first snap in practice in 08. Bill sees the potential and moves up fast enough to snag him before the Panthers do.

29. Mark Ingram - And this rounds out the Saban trio to New Orleans [sic]. The Pats are finally rewarded for their shrewd moves in the draft and impeccable scouting. All three of these guys fill a huge need for this team and they fit the schemes perfectly.

73. (via MIN) Dontay Moch
93. Stephen Schilling

Last edited:

4. Marcel Dareus - Dallas shouldnt be finishing this high and Romo gets someone to protect his blindside and Bellicheck gets one of Sabans boys to anchor that 3-4

[I'll continue from here on out with only the Pats' moves.]

NE trades #38 (CAR) and #61 and an undisclosed 2012 pick to SEA for #18

18. Julio Jones - Julio has been through his ups and downs in college and has been under the microscope since his first snap in practice in 08. Bill sees the potential and moves up fast enough to snag him before the Panthers do.

29. Mark Ingram - And this rounds out the Saban trio to New Orleans [sic]. The Pats are finally rewarded for their shrewd moves in the draft and impeccable scouting. All three of these guys fill a huge need for this team and they fit the schemes perfectly.

73. (via MIN) Dontay Moch
93. Stephen Schilling

HORRIBLE.

DOG Ugly.

This guy proposes that we dump our entire 2nd Round AND a 1st Rounder ~ he assess Mankins the value of the 31st pick ~ and end up with 2 "Skill Positions" and Dareus for our trouble???

:eek: :bricks: :eek: :bricks: :eek:

http://demotivatorsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/epic-fail-sports-fail-epic-forehead-weak-******-demotivational-poster-1206344902.jpg

HORRIBLE.

DOG Ugly.

This guy proposes that we dump our entire 2nd Round AND a 1st Rounder ~ he assess Mankins the value of the 31st pick ~ and end up with 2 "Skill Positions" and Dareus for our trouble???

OTG: I know it's unlikely to happen, but if the Pats could get those same players without trading up, how would you feel?

- Dareus is a fine player but there are lots of 3-4 DE candidates so a trade-up from 12 shouldn't be necessary to get a top guy

- Jones and Ingram definitely upgrade Brady's weapons, but now that Pats have to sit and watch while all the rush LBs get selected and the top OLinemen (likely not many that would make an immediate impact) are picked clean.

- Moch has blazing speed but that doesn't help when you have questionable instincts and play diagnostic skills (from what I've read...have only seen highlights). Seems like a poor fit.

- Is Schilling really any better than what is already on the roster?

Still can't rush the passer though they now have a guy that needs a Garmin to find the QB/ball carrier. Probably not opening any holes for Ingram to run through. Put a blocker in front of Brady that may not be stout enough to give him room/time to find Jones downfield.

The talent is fine but it seems like a horrible use of the Pats draft picks considering their needs and the makeup of this draft class. The Pats are building a team, not just assembling talent.

simpson111407.jpg

Stopped reading after I found out that Mankins was being traded to move up 8 spots.

This is a massive FAIL on multiple levels for me. The biggest one is the amazing trades. Unless Dareus is Suh and everyone else grades out no better than Ziggy Hood (who is a player I like on the Steelers), there seems to be a good number of legit 3-4 LDE 1st rounders in this draft. Sitting still at #12 or moving just a little bit for Bailey or Heyward makes more sense to me. The mocker also assumes that the Pats franchise Mankins and Dallas is willing to arrange a sign and trade with a Top-5 pick as part of the package. Unlikely given the problems Dallas has.

The rest of the Pats first round is super MEH --- a big WR should be available somewhere in the Top-40 (use the Carolina pick if you think a WR is a good value, otherwise go ROLB), and RBBC is working, and would work better with a better interior line.

I voted Meh. Mankins is gone after this year. We're only going to get a number 3 in 2012 for him. You can't trade those picks. But, I'd still trade our own 3 to move up from 12 for the right guy. Fairley, Dareus , Bowers or Quinn. Maybe someone else. We don't need depth any more. We need a playmaker or two. I say do it. For those who are going to say just franchise Mankins. Remember, he has to sign his contract before we can trade him. Could wait until the night before the season. Logan has made his bed. He's going to have to sleep in it. We'll get 6 reg. season games, a playoff run, and a 3 in 2012 that can't be dealt out of him. That's it. So, I'm fine with the first part.

I don't like taking a rb and wr though after your first move. Let alone trading up for them. I think we need to draft a couple of ol(1b-T) and I'd still like another olb(2a). Try to sign a rb in free agency and see what kind of receiver help you can get in round 2b or 3a. Then take an interior ol with the other pick. Trading 3b to move up is fine with me.

The only guys i would trade up for are Robert Quinn, Patrick Peterson or that kid, Nick Fairley if he comes out.

Last edited:
The only guys i would trade up for are Robert Quinn, Patrick Peterson or that kid, Nick Fairley if he comes out.

Fairley looks ridiculously good. I'd trade up for him. I know many people have Quinn in their top 5. But, people said Dez Bryant was a Top 5-10 talent and he dropped to 24. Pass rushers are valued more so even if Quinn drops it won't be that far. But, he could drop a little. Might not have to trade too much at all for him. Depends how Raiders finish. I want to see more of D.Bowers-Clemson. They play BC this week. He's having a great junior season and was the top recruit out of high school 3 years ago.

I can't get by some of these trades. They're just off the wall. The #42 will allow the Vikings to move from #9 to #1? A 3rd round pick gets you from #25 to #12? When we trade up to #18 we gave "an undisclosed draft pick"? Why is it undisclosed when you're the one making up the trade lol.

As far as the picks go, I don't hate any of them. Not a big Julio fan, but I like Dareus and Ingram. But I still rated it a 'fail' considering it takes Mankins, our 2nd rounders and a pick next year to get them. As others have said, no need to move up to #4 to land a DE. There's just way too many quality guys in the draft. I wouldn't want to trade up for Jones either. As of right now I think there's way too many holes in his game to value him that high. Also, I don't think we are looking for a receiver with the skills he brings to the table. Not a good fit IMO.

OTG: I know it's unlikely to happen, but if the Pats could get those same players without trading up, how would you feel?

Well, in that case, I'd be merely horrified. :singing:

Serious answer: I would be horrified. The Patriots owned the Colts for 5 years, and then proceeded to try to BE the Colts.

I still haven't figured that one out. :confused:

Now that we are, once again, The Patriots...I would, yes, be horrified to see us pass up a BREATHTAKING Opportunity to load up with precisely the extraordinary Front 7 Talent that would complete our Journey...back to Greatness.

I DO honor the fact that others, philosophically, feel otherwise, and I hope I don't give offense with my vehemence. And I actually like Jones...I just don't think we need any WideOut, at this point. We've got 5 talented guys, and I wouldn't want to jettison any of them at this early stage, nor do I want 6.

And I actually like Jones...I just don't think we need any WideOut, at this point. We've got 5 talented guys, and I wouldn't want to jettison any of them at this early stage, nor do I want 6.

I agree with this completely. In addition, if we really wanted a big playmaking field-stretching WR so bad as to where we'd spend a 1st round pick on one, I think we wouldn't have moved out Moss and moved in Branch. Even though I love AJ Green, I think he's in the same boat. I don't see us selecting him for the same reason.

I agree with this completely.

In addition, if we really wanted a big playmaking field-stretching WR so bad as to where we'd spend a 1st round pick on one, I think we wouldn't have moved out Moss and moved in Branch.

Even though I love AJ Green, I think he's in the same boat. I don't see us selecting him for the same reason.

NICELY put.

I'd put that under the category of epic fail.

Marcel Darius is getting a lot of praise lately, but he is a 3-tech that is playing out of position for Alabama. There's also no reason for him to be taken that high, especially with guys like Quinn and Green around.

--also would like to interject that Adrian Clayborn isn't a 34 player--

Julio Jones has bust tattooed on his forehead.

People are saying that Mark Ingram is Emmit Smith 2.0. He is more truthfully Cedric Benson 2.0.

I'd rather they stay around 10 and move slightly if necessary to take Nick Fairley who is clearly the best 2-gap 34 end in the draft. Should be a bumper crop of Juniors as well with the looming rookie wage scale.

Around 28-32 they should have some good value choices available for offensive linemen or a good tailback. The same can be said for the 33-35 pick.

I think in the second they can address depth and due to the overwhelming volume of picks can probably take a gamble with the later one. I think that taking a flier on Aldon Smith with the pick the the 60's would be worth it. He won't contribute anytime soon, but has the height/weight/burst equation that is a fit, plus has a damn fine motor. The Big 12 has some underrated tackles, too, so I think he can become a good player with a redshirt year.

Lot of negativity, but I like the picks. Dareus is the only prospect that I have with a top-10 grade on my board. Not as excited about Quinn as everyone else seems to be. And the Auburn games that I've watched, Fairley has done nuthin... making me scratch my head when they say they would trade up for him, but not Dareus.

Jones is not someone that's I'm all that eager to bring onto the team. That said, I think he could compete for a starting role. Despite all the chatter, I don't think WR is a need position for us. I think our WR corp need to find their new shape. They'll be fine.

Love Ingram. Any draft that brings us Ingram and Dareus gets my support.

Lot of negativity, but I like the picks. Dareus is the only prospect that I have with a top-10 grade on my board. Not as excited about Quinn as everyone else seems to be. And the Auburn games that I've watched, Fairley has done nuthin... making me scratch my head when they say they would trade up for him, but not Dareus.

Jones is not someone that's I'm all that eager to bring onto the team. That said, I think he could compete for a starting role. Despite all the chatter, I don't think WR is a need position for us. I think our WR corp need to find their new shape. They'll be fine.

Love Ingram. Any draft that brings us Ingram and Dareus gets my support.

You must be an Auburn hater(I see you like those Bama guys) or leave the room when Auburn is on defense. Here's some required reading for you. 3x SEC linemen of the week already this year and you haven't seen him do anything????

Auburn's Fairley vaults up rankings with Suh-like outing - NFL - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

The Auburn Villager - www.theauburnvillager.com - Auburn, Ala. - Newspaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey