Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/
November 14, 2007
Practice report
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
FOXBOROUGH -- The Patriots are holding their afternoon practice on the upper fields behind Gillette Stadium and the wind whipped through, creating some challenging conditions. The team wore full pads, marking the second straight practice in which the Patriots have gone that route.

As was the case Monday, S Eugene Wilson (ankle), S Mel Mitchell (groin) and ILB Eric Alexander (knee) were the lone players not present for the media-access portion of the workout.

The media was present for stretching and a few warm-up drills.

I really thought that Wilson would be ready to get back on the field after the bye-week. :(
That ankle injury must be VERY severe.

My man Wilson is not having a good contract year, is he?
His value in FA has droped given his lack of PT and history of in-season rehab missing game after game. Too bad because he started out like wildfire his 1st couple seasons here.

My man Wilson is not having a good contract year, is he?
His value in FA has droped given his lack of PT and history of in-season rehab missing game after game. Too bad because he started out like wildfire his 1st couple seasons here.

Geno Wilson has been pretty mediocre since having terrific rookie and sophomore seasons in 2003 and 2004. This is maddening.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

I really thought that Wilson would be ready to get back on the field after the bye-week. :(
That ankle injury must be VERY severe.

No kidding. To be honest, I don't even remember HOW he hurt the ankle. I remember him being replace by Sanders, but nowhere did it show him limping badly or anything like that as far as I can remember. Is it possible the injury happened during practice? It would be nice to have Geno back, if not to start right away, but at least for depth and injury insurance. Also, Mitchell would be a nice addition to our ALREADY great special teams and would only be better. I know, scary. Maybe BB is just taking it extra safe with those guys since to get them 100%. It could be one of those situations that if it was a playoff game, they'd play. Who knows, but just hope they are back soon. All three.

The sky is falling! So much for my hopes of 16-0.

Seriously, I think James Sanders has surpassed Eugene Wilson. Perhaps the two players don't match in terms of raw talent, but Sanders in more in synch with the rest of the defense and has been the better tackler of the two.

The good news is depth. At this point, I'd say we have no doubt a viable full time starter in Sanders. There's no need to replace him unless the opportunity for a major upgrade presents itself. With 2 straight poor and/or injury plagues, Wilson has totally de-valued himself, and may be an easy re-sign at little cap cost.

Well, if we were planning on re-signing him, looks like the front office would have the upper hand in negotiations.

Eugene 'Made Of Glass' Wilson

Hope he enjoys his new team next year,The Patriots will probably not retain his services.

.... Maybe BB is just taking it extra safe with those guys since to get them 100%. It could be one of those situations that if it was a playoff game, they'd play. Who knows, but just hope they are back soon. All three.

I've just about convinced myself along those lines.

In years past ... and even with Dave Thomas this season
... BB has a quick trigger finger on that IR button.
If any of these 3 were SERIOUS ... i'd have expected to hear a pistol shot.

You have to think one of these three guys is hitting IR to make room for Troy. With Eddie Jackson, the loss of ST play of Mitchell and or Alexander might be compensated. Maybe I'm just being greedy and wanting Troy on the roster, but if any one of these three guys isn't getting healthy before Troy's activation window closes, I say you IR them.

Chad Jackson's not being listed as "Limited Participation in Practice" is a good sign, and maybe we'll see him out there for at least some special teams duties against the Bills.

Chad Jackson's not being listed as "Limited Participation in Practice" is a good sign, and maybe we'll see him out there for at least some special teams duties against the Bills.

I'd love to see him get a couple snaps on offense, too.

I'm sure there's a mental hurdle to playing on ST again, he referenced it the other day in an interview, but then also added the standard Pats "do what's best for the team" mantra. Still, that's a pretty traumatic injury, and there's no doubt he remembers how he injured it.

Eugene 'Made Of Glass' Wilson

Hope he enjoys his new team next year,The Patriots will probably not retain his services.

As I and others have wondered, shouldn't Wilson have returned to full-time CB duties this season? I know that Rodney missed the first four games, and that having Wilson and Sanders at Safety was likely the best way to start. It now seems obvious that Wilson can no longer handle the more physically challenging demands of a starting FS, and that if he is to provide any contribution at all, perhaps his best chance would come by playing a dime/slot CB position, behind Samuel, Hobbs and Gay.

I agree...I think if any ARE serious the IR would have been used...Wilson is really the most puzzling as he had great seasons at first and has been sinking quite a bit since..with injuries and poor play. Mitchell should be back....Alexander is the toughest one as he is the ILB of the future...(hopefully)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back